Spyder Garage

Default Belt Pressure - what is the manual spec?

I understand this question has been talked about quite abit. My question is this. Can someone with a 2018 F3 Maintenance Manual, tell me what the manual says the belt tension should be set to.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TheCajun1957 View Post
    I understand this question has been talked about quite abit. My question is this. Can someone with a 2018 F3 Maintenance Manual, tell me what the manual says the belt tension should be set to.
    Lots of info on this subject ….. Quite a few folks here have decided the OEM belt specs are too high ….. Those same folks have discovered , lowering it has removed most if not all the belt vibes ….. Using a Kritkit gauge I have my 2014 RT set at 160lbs. measured while it's on the ground …… Mike ...………..As far as the BRP specs for the F-3, they are only useful if you HAVE a SONIC gauge. Because that's what the specs relate to …..

Spyder Garage

thank you for the answer!
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

At 3000 miles, my F3 had its first service and the dealer adjusted the belt. I have bought ramps and will buy an oil change kit for next year to save the $400 dealer charge for service. If I buy the Kriket gauge, how often should I check it?

Thanks,
    Rick
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Spyder Garage

Set it and forget it. It will announce when it needs attention by vibration. I check mine when rear tires are changed. Last check (tire change) started at 140# and I gradually increased the tension until the vibration stopped. I ended up at 205# measured by a Krikit II, or 172.5# measured sonically. You've got to find what works for you. YMMV and your Krikit (and technique) may vary.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Dealer equated motorcycle chain to Spyder belt, where chain is adjusted frequently. I don’t think this is true. I may just buy the Kriket gauge, an oil change kit, and do the work myself.

Thanks
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RickWB View Post
    Dealer equated motorcycle chain to Spyder belt, where chain is adjusted frequently. I don’t think this is true. I may just buy the Kriket gauge, an oil change kit, and do the work myself.

Thanks
    Good decision. BajaRon can supply you with everything you need to do the job.........and more. As for the belt tension, set it but don't forget it. Just for safety reasons check it form time to time. About a 1/2 twist on the lower part of the belt with the thumb and forefinger is close to right. You'll get the feeling for it after you do it a few times.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-29-2021 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

I'm at 150 on my F3 and have 21'000 and No sprocket problem yet. No vibration. High belt tension has caused problems.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

for some of the people that have found their magic belt tension, are you measuring with the bike on the ground?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rugercharger View Post
    for some of the people that have found their magic belt tension, are you measuring with the bike on the ground?
    The most successful process I've found is iterative. Start at a low tension (I use 140# on the ground), go for a test ride and then adjust both alignment and tension (usually tighten), and test again. Repeat until the belt is where I want it and there is no vibration. Then I measure the tension (just for the record) on the ground. Measuring in the air is irrelevant in this context. My belt alignment changes substantially between ratchet tight and torqued. The axle doesn't move, but the swing arm is 'sprung' out almost 1/4" wider than the axle is long.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Old thread, but thought I'd post regardless....I have a 2018 F3-L with about 2300 miles on it and on the ground I have a Kritkit gauge reading of about 150 pounds and a Gates Carbon Drive App for my iphone that read 22Hz,22Hz and 23Hz with an average of 22Hz, along with a picture of the rear pulley and belt location. The machine seems to be working fine and I now have two different measurements to reference in the future. I have no idea if the
    App is worth a hoot...but I have it! GLTA and Regards.

Spyder Belt Drive Path.jpg

Really good video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGiCt7aW6s
    Last edited by BMac920; 02-12-2022 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Supporting video & photo added