Spyder Garage

Spyder RT Transmission Issues

Hi everyone, I have a 2016 Spyder RT Limited, and am I the process of replacing the transmission the second time in a year, with only 18,000 Kms on it. Very frustrated with all the down time, having to call deck trucks to haul it to a dealer and the expense of it. It is on warranty for 2 more months but am losing confidence in the bike, and am the Vice President of a large motorcycle club in Arizona and if they don’t extend the warranty on the bike they will be getting a large amount of negative publicity from now on. Has anyone else had a similar problem with the transmission? Eric

Spyder Garage

What exactly is wrong with the transmission that means it needs replacement??

Most of the problems we hear about that are trans related are something to do with the bolt on bits or electricals that make them operate, & very rarely do those require the replacement of the transmission.... in fact, I can't recall the last thread discussing one that did need replacement??? (I guess that could be my 'forgetory' working overtime tho - my memory is still great for someone my age, but my forgetory has been working better & better with every birthday! )
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My '13 had a very minor issue with the external shift lever (that '14's don't have even). Rode several thousand miles since replacing the small aluminum lever that stripped. No problems. is it possible the replacement transmission wasn't installed properly?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Are you checking/filling the engine/transmission oil while the engine is COLD? Doing so will cause overfilling and probable engine/transmission damage. According to my Owners Manual.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Keep a record of all the events that had you going back to the dealer for warranty work. In the event a problem, like your transmission, should it repeat after the warranty expires, you can prove it was a pre-existing condition.
    This would be a good thing for all to do with any new vehicle. I keep a "diary" showing dates, time if relative, the problem and all the info about its resolution, including dates and length of time to do the repair.
    Years ago, I was having the same problem with a new truck and it was in the shop the fourth time. I told the service manager it appears your are defrauding the manufacturer. When he denied it, I showed him my diary and told him I will show it to the district rep. The truck got fixed and never needed more repairs for a long, long time.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Without details of any specifics, any response can be difficult. Beyond a warranty fix, do not expect much or anything from Can Am / BRP.

My suggestion. Get rid of it. Find a great dealer willing to take it in trade AND swap over your aftermarket parts, if any.

Spyder Garage

I have a 16 RT Ltd. also and it has run flawlessly (knock on wood)..! Although I only have just under 7k miles on it. I would be very interested to hear what they found wrong with it ..!
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Spyder Garage

On the 1330, you cannot replace the transmission without also replacing the engine. Its a single integral unit. So not sure what is broken or what is being replaced here. Trans failures have actually been very rare on this engine. Two on one bike leads to the suggestion that something else is going on.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm a little confused on this one, shows he is from Alberta, then he is a vice president of a motorcycle club in Arizona, possibly a snow bird i guess.
    Less than 12,000 miles in almost three years and two transmissions???
    Transgressions are part of the engine and can be rebuilt, but not replaced without replacement of the engine as stated by JCthorne??
    A lot more information is needed to ferret this one out.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Snookie is new to the board. This was originally posted in the welcome forum and I moved it here and sent him a pm informing of the move. Hopefully he’ll check in soon.

LC
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

An interesting first post.

I will start by saying

We do need more background information before making good decisions. I would guess that a case has been established by the dealer with BRP.

I also recommend not being threatening to BRP at this stage (vice pres of mc club/bad publicity if it does not go right)...etc. That can shut down the process very quickly.

An occasional "bad one" gets through the process. Two tranny's in a row? That's worth looking into.

Keep us posted:
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-06-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We do need more background information before making good decisions. I would guess that a case has been established by the dealer with BRP.

I also recommend not being threatening to BRP at this stage (vice pres of mc club/bad publicity if it does not go right)...etc. That can shut down the process very quickly.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    What exactly is wrong with the transmission that means it needs replacement??

Most of the problems we hear about that are trans related are something to do with the bolt on bits or electricals that make them operate, & very rarely do those require the replacement of the transmission.... in fact, I can't recall the last thread discussing one that did need replacement??? (I guess that could be my 'forgetory' working overtime tho - my memory is still great for someone my age, but my forgetory has been working better & better with every birthday! )
    I can see replacing clutches two times in short timeframe, but not the transmission. Too many additional components that can go wrong as well, please something more specific not just generalized "transmission" thanks. Being your first post :Info about our riding style too & area (mountain or flat)please.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I also have a 2016 RT Limited that is in the Shop right now, waiting for my BRP “ Case” to be reviewed. I just called my Dealer an hour ago, who has had my Spyder for 3 weeks now, and says the Transmission needs to be removed in order to determine the next step. My RT has 33, 500 miles on the Odometer, and had Warrantee work done to replace the front Sprocket at 21,500 miles by another Dealer, that did the “ fix.” I suspect the Splines on the Transmission Shaft that the Sprocket is mated to, are stripped too badly to repair with Locktite this time, so the Shaft has to be removed and replaced. After reading this Thread, now I am confused , wondering what will happen next. But one thing for certain, my Summer Spyder riding is gone for another Summer, which will be two in a row. It was in the Shop for 10 weeks last Summer, waiting for BRP and the Dealer to agree to a solution. BRP awarded me a 4 month Factory Warrantee Extension for my down time last Summer, which is what I am on right now. That Extension expires early Sept. I was originally told by the first Dealer when the Sprocket was replaced at 21,500 miles, that the engine had to be removed from the Spyder, and the Engine Case split to remove the Tranny Shaft. But then, they never ended up removing the engine, nor replacing the Shaft. They did the “ Band Aid” repair, thinking the “ fix” would out last the Warrantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Snookie View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a 2016 Spyder RT Limited, and am I the process of replacing the transmission the second time in a year, with only 18,000 Kms on it. Very frustrated with all the down time, having to call deck trucks to haul it to a dealer and the expense of it. It is on warranty for 2 more months but am losing confidence in the bike, and am the Vice President of a large motorcycle club in Arizona and if they don’t extend the warranty on the bike they will be getting a large amount of negative publicity from now on. Has anyone else had a similar problem with the transmission? Eric
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze