Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

New Spyder owner for two weeks. Rode two wheels for 30 years. I found the transition to the Spyder quite easy. Love the reverse and turning radius. At 300 miles and occasionally looking for the front brake and clutch but the auto shift trans is getting easier and easier. Looking forward to some touring and heading for bike week in Daytona next week and Spyders on the Bayou in two weeks. Be safe and enjoy your new ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF
    1. I have a strong desire to reach for the handlebar clutch and brake handles that aren't there anymore.
    wait till you start to put the kickstand down!!!!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-01-2020 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

It's a keeper.

I felt confident enough today to take some less travelled roads to get out to Northshore Road in Lake Mead National Recreation Area (167 and 169 in Google Maps if you aren't familiar with it). One of the best rides in the Las Vegas area without risking getting rear ended by tourists who are doing the "Look at all the pretty lights!" driving here. Went north to Overton then back home. I'm sold. And that McD's Quarter Pounder in Overton was the best cheeseburger I've had in the past 3 years for some strange reason.

Met a couple Spyder riders. Neither one said they were part of this forum. But one of them insisted I get pictures of my first "real road" ride with my new Spyder. So...…

BTW, any new Spyder riders who ever read this....make yourself a "cheat sheet" or something about the "normal ways" to do stuff like opening the Frunk. I never had a problem with it before today. I had also already seen a thread here about it "getting stuck" and watched the YouTube video about how to "unstick" it. Well, I got to Overton. Smiling like an idiot. Tried to open the Frunk and it wouldn't open. Met the first other Spyder rider there and he said "Are you turning the key to the left?" I said "Yup". He came over, turned the key, and the Frunk popped right open.

He said, "Are you pushing the key in first before turning it?" I said, "Uhhhhhh…….."

Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post
    Tried to open the Frunk and it wouldn't open. Met the first other Spyder rider there and he said "Are you turning the key to the left?" I said "Yup". He came over, turned the key, and the Frunk popped right open.

He said, "Are you pushing the key in first before turning it?" I said, "Uhhhhhh…….."
    Look at it this way! You're sure to remember now how to do it! Nothing like a flub and embarrassment to burn an action into the memory bank!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Well, so yesterday in southern Wisconsin it was to be above freezing, good some of the snow will finally start to melt. Then it started raining. I went out and stood in the rain, with glee I watched the salt being rinsed off the road. Thinking if the salt is off the road, I can wear my snowmobile gear and finally get my brand new spyder home. Well an hour later it turned to freezing rain, coating all the tre with ice. It then started freezing on the road, I am think @$#%^&^%$@#$ the salt trucks will be out again. Then it turned to snow with near white out conditions. We received 1-2 inches. I told my wife I am going into the bedroom and curl up in the fetal position and suck my thumb.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There's a good Mexican restaurant in Overton NV called La Fonda.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

It's a keeper.

I felt confident enough today to take some less travelled roads to get out to Northshore Road in Lake Mead National Recreation Area (167 and 169 in Google Maps if you aren't familiar with it). One of the best rides in the Las Vegas area without risking getting rear ended by tourists who are doing the "Look at all the pretty lights!" driving here. Went north to Overton then back home. I'm sold. And that McD's Quarter Pounder in Overton was the best cheeseburger I've had in the past 3 years for some strange reason.

Met a couple Spyder riders. Neither one said they were part of this forum. But one of them insisted I get pictures of my first "real road" ride with my new Spyder. So...…

BTW, any new Spyder riders who ever read this....make yourself a "cheat sheet" or something about the "normal ways" to do stuff like opening the Frunk. I never had a problem with it before today. I had also already seen a thread here about it "getting stuck" and watched the YouTube video about how to "unstick" it. Well, I got to Overton. Smiling like an idiot. Tried to open the Frunk and it wouldn't open. Met the first other Spyder rider there and he said "Are you turning the key to the left?" I said "Yup". He came over, turned the key, and the Frunk popped right open.

Thank you so much for taking us on your journey with you!!!!!!! You have had me laughing so hard, I really appreciate it. It takes me back to when I first got my spyder and had to go through all of those "learning curves". Like remembering how to start it at a gas station or trying to look really cool and take off in front of a bunch of other bikes only to find out the parking brake is still on......I love it!!! And thank you again!!

2016 F3-L Special Series Triple Black
    August 25, 2016

2014 ST-Limited
    July 2, 2014

"Just going down that long lonesome highway" and now REALLY loving every minute!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AppleSpyder View Post
    Thank you so much for taking us on your journey with you!!!!!!! You have had me laughing so hard, I really appreciate it. It takes me back to when I first got my spyder and had to go through all of those "learning curves". Like remembering how to start it at a gas station or trying to look really cool and take off in front of a bunch of other bikes only to find out the parking brake is still on......I love it!!! And thank you again!!
    I agree - riding w/Falcon is fun especially when it isn't riding season for me just yet.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thank you so much for taking us on your journey with you!!!!!!! …….or trying to look really cool and take off in front of a bunch of other bikes only to find out the parking brake is still on......I love it!!! And thank you again!!
    We'll, I haven't done that one yet. But I did start it up at a turn out with some other people around. Then did the look both ways before pulling away thing. Then rolled the throttle on...only to remember too late that when you start it, it automatically shifts itself back into neutral (couldn't read the dash at the time because of sun reflection on it). Revved that puppy up really well without moving an inch. Looked around to see if anybody noticed. Yeah...they noticed. Put it in 1st and limped outta the parking area as quietly as I could......
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Can u pass along that dealer info?
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Never fails, screw up and everyone is watching.

Spyder Garage

We'll, I haven't done that one yet. But I did start it up at a turn out with some other people around. Then did the look both ways before pulling away thing. Then rolled the throttle on...only to remember too late that when you start it, it automatically shifts itself back into neutral (couldn't read the dash at the time because of sun reflection on it). Revved that puppy up really well without moving an inch. Looked around to see if anybody noticed. Yeah...they noticed. Put it in 1st and limped outta the parking area as quietly as I could......
    Bwaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha!!!!! Of course there had to be someone there!!! lol lol lol And now you know why I named mine after John Denver's song Calypso......"the places you've been to, the stories you tell".........Bwaaaaa ha ha ha ha!!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-28-2019 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Quote fixed

2016 F3-L Special Series Triple Black
    August 25, 2016

2014 ST-Limited
    July 2, 2014

"Just going down that long lonesome highway" and now REALLY loving every minute!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    Can u pass along that dealer info?
    I ended up buying mine from ProShop. No BS involved. https://www.proshoplv.com/
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

It takes 500 miles to feel comfortable on the Spyder, about the same if you switched bikes. Once your comfortable with it
    and realize both your and the bikes limitations you will be fine. Every machine has its own quirks. I have 30,000 miles
    on my 15 RT. Mostly one up. I leave the bike in the Eco mode most of the time. Eco mode is car like performance+ don't need to go faster than that. I put 11,000 on the Spyder the first year. I owned an 1800 wing and put on 8,000 the first year I owned that. No worries (less worries) about gravel, rain and tar snakes. I'm 72 just went around Lake Superior some 2,000 miles from my home. Been to Sturgis off season and the Smokies. Did the same trips on the wing, no difference in the fun factor. Don't miss putting my feet down! I've had a couple of very minor problems otherwise it's the same as the wing, gas and go.

Spyder Garage

Just park it so you have to back up out of your spot. If you forget to turn off the parking brake say it is the reverse warning! Everyone will be impressed

Spyder Garage

We are picking up our used 2018 RT Limited Chrome Monday, enjoyed the read here. Scheduled for the two day trike course Thursday and Friday. Chris
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

You will find pricing all over the rainbow... most important, get on one and ride it first.. You will quickly see how easy and comfortable they are to ride.. depending on what/where you plan to ride will dictate which model to buy.. best of luck on finding what you want and you simply will not be disappointed with a Sypder!!!!!!
    BIG F

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've just joined the forum after reading lots here about the Spyders. My "story" is in my new members post, but suffice to say I can't ride a two-wheeler anymore (wouldn't feel safe and proficient enough anymore on only two wheels) and have been looking at "trikes" to get back into riding again. I'm almost 65 now, good health again, fully retired, and looking to get back on the road doing road trips again. Will be staying in hotels now exclusively though (Best Western loves me) because the camping thing would be to much work every day now. Plus, I've always had the philosophy that if I'm not willing to share my bedroom with bears, I probably shouldn't share theirs with them.

Anyhow, I digress...…

The Spyder is really appealing to me. I'm single and will be riding 1-up. I really can't see spending $40K-ish to "trike" a Gold Wing when I can get a 2018 RT Limited brand new for $20K - $22K right now. Those ARE the prices I'm seeing for them right now, and could purchase one locally for that where I live (dealer "Inventory Clearance Sale"). One of my questions is, even though I've read in the forum it is a "buyer's market" right now, WHY would a dealer be giving $9K off of brand new 2018's right out of the crate? Is there THAT much of a difference between them and the upcoming new 2019's? Is/was the 2018 "dashboard system BRP software interface my phone won't connect, etc" fiasco so bad that they need to give away the 2018's 'cos they couldn't sell them? Given the choices I'm seeing right now, I'd buy a brand new 2018 for the low $20's instead of paying $30K+ for a 2019 (or even buying a used pre-2018), even if the 2019 made my breakfast for me. What am I missing, or don't understand about the price differences?

Also, how much of a transition to riding a Spyder can I expect to encounter before being "safe" doing it? I'm aware of people hopping on a "trike" and driving off the side of the road in a curve because they instinctively counter-steer at first (among other things). Old habits can be hard to break. I just spent almost 3 years recovering from an accident that wasn't my fault. I don't want to spend another 3 years recovering from one that would be my own fault. According to the Can-Am website, Nevada does not have any locations for me to take the $99 "New Spyder Rider's" safety course so I wouldn't kill myself in the first week I'm on one. I know the MSF has separate "trike" courses, but would those courses apply to the wheel configuration of a Spyder? How long did it take YOU (generically) before you felt your "instinct responses" while riding a Spyder had changed enough from your 2-wheel instincts so you would react in the "proper" ways on a 3-wheeler?

The above are my two main concerns right now. Any insight from forum members would be greatly appreciated.

Rick
    I wouldn't worry about the transition. If you've ridden snowmobiles, quads or wave runners, it is very similar to them. It only took me about 5 minutes to feel comfortable riding them, but then again, I used to be an avid waverunner rider who rode A LOT in the rough ocean, so I'm pretty comfortable being unstable (NOT to say that Spyders are unstable. Far, FAR from it in fact, especially with the Baja Ron swaybar).

If you REALLY want to know what it's like riding a Spyder, I HIGHLY suggest taking the Red Rock Canyon Tour with the folks at Las Vegas Spyder Tours. The guys there are SO nice and helpful, and will answer ANY questions you may have with the Spyder because they also maintain their bikes. At least, it'll give you an idea if investing in a Spyder is worth doing.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

BTW, I bought an '18 RT-L in the fall of 2019.

I saved A LOT, and the money I saved was used for mods. Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong buying that model year, unless you REALLY and ABSOLUTELY have to own the "latest and greatest". (The bad thing about that is, BRP hasn't ironed out the issues associated with new models, so ....).

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

Just finished actually reading the whole thread.

Disregard everything I said, LOL.

2002 BMW 325i - his

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

take a demo ride and then write the check... good luck
    BIG F