Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    Still look at the F3 Limited, has bags on it. since your mostly riding solo, you might like the "more sporty" look
    Man, I spaced on that even after looking at several places. I thought ALL the F3's were the "sport version" without a rear top box. OK, what are the differences between the RT Limited vs an F3 Limited, other than a shorter seat? Is the wheel base shorter, etc? Performance? Handling ("more sporty", but still long-range cross-country comfort worthy?). I could live with a "room for only one person" version if it would still be a Road Warrior Long Distance Touring Beast with the same kind of RT Limited storage. Heck, my NT was only a V-Twin and when I put the Russell seat on it with backrest that was the end of ever carrying a full size passenger with me (my niece's young daughters would fit back there behind the backrest for short rides around the block, but that's about it). And the NT fit all my needs for comfort/performance on long extended road trips.

If the only real advantage to getting the RT is the extra passenger space, I need to reconsider like you recommended.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post
    Hmmm. I wasn't aware of the new sunbrella fabric option. I just avoided selecting anything "fabric looking" on their website when scoping out a price building one there. May have to ask Russell about using it with a 'Stich now. If they say it's fine, you probably just cost me more money. Darn it.

BTW...looking at your signature map below your posts...How in heck did you come all the way to Utah and Idaho from NC and NOT go the rest of the way to Nevada or the Ocean States so you could color them in on your map? That would be like buying a boat, sailing to the big island of Hawaii from California, then turning around before going the rest of the way to Oahu. Shame. Shame on you...…
    HAHAHAHAHA.........ONLY 2 WEEKS.......I DID HAVE A GREAT TIME. YELLOWSTONE IS SO AMAZING. I DID DO COLORADO 2ND TIME. AND BLACK HILLS FIRST TIME. THIS WAS THE BEST!!!!!! TRIP EVER. beat 2015 trip to Colorado, Utah (Sundance) where sister lives part time, down to 4 corners, back home I40. I did 2nd Iron Butt ride from sister in law house in Oklahoma to NC
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Man, I spaced on that even after looking at several places. I thought ALL the F3's were the "sport version" without a rear top box. OK, what are the differences between the RT Limited vs an F3 Limited, other than a shorter seat? Is the wheel base shorter, etc? Performance? Handling ("more sporty", but still long-range cross-country comfort worthy?). I could live with a "room for only one person" version if it would still be a Road Warrior Long Distance Touring Beast with the same kind of RT Limited storage. Heck, my NT was only a V-Twin and when I put the Russell seat on it with backrest that was the end of ever carrying a full size passenger with me (my niece's young daughters would fit back there behind the backrest for short rides around the block, but that's about it). And the NT fit all my needs for comfort/performance on long extended road trips.

If the only real advantage to getting the RT is the extra passenger space, I need to reconsider like you recommended.
    Same 1330 engine, same gears for SE. shorter windshield tho. slightly more narrow, maybe 1.5". near the same length. rear sprocket might have a few more teeth for faster performance. I think 2019 might revert back to same as RT. F3 shows more engine(sexy style) as compared to none for RT, almost like a shorter mini skirt!! Look over Can Am website, go to dealership , look at both in person. Lmtd F3 vs RT, might save just a little bit more cash.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

F3 shows more engine(sexy style) as compared to none for RT, almost like a shorter mini skirt!!
    If I was 10 years younger, that alone would have sold me.

Making trip to dealer(s) tomorrow. Will scope them both out in person. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

FORGOT TO ADD............ F3 is a feet forward position. pegs will adjust some, you can get floorboards too. RT is more upright. I did get highway pegs for my RT, helps with stretching legs, along with RDL

Spyder Garage

In regards to Can Am Spyder training, BRP shows that there are classes in Fresno, CA, if you don't mind the drive. I took my three wheel motorcycle training in a class that was about 250 miles from me in September, because the nearest classes didn't have any room until November. The training was all done on Spyders and F3's. I highly recommend the class.

The Spyder and F3 are reverse trikes, which act very differently compared to a traditional trike, such as a Goldwing or Harley. There isn't any counter steering, unless you get it up onto two wheels. It is inherently more stable than a traditional trike. The Spyder and F3 will out stop a two wheel motorcycle, because you have three wheels to brake (one brake pedal; no hand brake) and with weight shift to the front you have two wheels with most of the braking power.

Spyder Garage

I would suggest two things: 1. go to a dealer and do a test ride.. 2. get out the checkbook and buy a Spyder ASAP. and as someone else mentioned, there is not much difference between the 18's and the 19's. go for the best deal you can find and you will have miles of smiles... welcome to the Spyder world.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

FORGOT TO ADD............ F3 is a feet forward position. pegs will adjust some, you can get floorboards too. RT is more upright. I did get highway pegs for my RT, helps with stretching legs, along with RDL
    Ah!!! That will make a big difference for me. Even though I bought the NT and out of the crate it had the "sport tourer" rider posture, I set it up with barbacks and my Russell seat for the "sit up and beg" touring posture. Never regretted doing that. And that will be mandatory for me now too after the neck surgery. If I tried to ride long distances now in a leaning forward sport touring position, my neck, shoulders and back would protest something fierce. That happens in my recliner chair sometimes now. Have to have a more upright posture to avoid it. That's why I'm getting another Russell seat, and why I assume I'm going to have to get the Tri Axis bars also to move them back far enough for me. I'll probably end up with an RT because of all of that.

Anyhow, I'm off to the dealers. Gonna be an interesting day.

Spyder Garage

For us too until you tell us what happened!
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Don't forget to price shop - iMotorsports in the Chicago area will deliver the Spyder to your door. It might be worth checking to keep your dealer honest. Looking forward to hearing how your visit to the dealer went - RT vs F3 .
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Well...seeing as you asked....

IMG_1069.jpg

(I have no idea right now why one pic got "thumbnailed" below)

2018 RT Limited $23,729 out the door. That's with Nevada 8.25% sales tax. I can live with that. I went to 2 different dealers. One of them was out of their minds. Their own staff couldn't even answer questions about the Spyder that I already knew the answers to. They were clueless.

The other dealer gave me the deal. With all the right answers. To be fair, it is a demo, but has only 725 miles on it. That would be one round-trip to Phoenix and back to visit my nieces there. I'm not averse to buying "used" and figure it's already been through the 600 mile break-in without falling apart, so seeing as they gave me the full 2-year warranty with it, I'm fine with it "slightly used" already.

I just gotta find a way to get it home now. Pay for it tomorrow, but I don't even have a helmet yet to ride it home if I wanted to. Dealer said it would cost $200 to deliver it across town to my house.

Anybody wanna ride it home for me? I'll buy drinks and dinner (more is negotiable). Seriously. There's no way my first ride on it would be across town Las Vegas rush hour traffic. Make me an offer.

Or I'll just pay the $200 to get it delivered.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Jeez Falcon, I'd LOVE to ryde it home for you, just so long as you cover my costs getting there & back?! But I guess it's probably gonna be a WHOLE lot cheaper for you to pay the Dealer - anyone know what a return flight from South Aus to Las Vagas is atm?? It's a shame, being so far away.....

But it looks like you got a pretty good deal! Enjoy!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Buyer beware???? I see that is the dark edition. my RT limited has "limited" on the side cases. do they just not mark the "dark edition? so this a regular RT? maybe someone else can chime in. so many models have came out since 2008, 1st service for the 1330 cc is 3,600 miles not 600 miles for 998. some dealers get confused with this, but its been since 2014 of the 1330 cc's to get it right. then service intervals of 9,300 miles.

whats nice is no more valve checks like on the 998. 1330 had automatic hydraulic valves.

Spyder Garage

I'll add to 4 Marie's comments with this.....Here's what some Spyder riders I know told me. Lean you body into the turn. Press down with your outside foot and have the passenger do the same. Loose on the grips. Look where you want the bike to be. Practice tight turns, zig-zags, etc. in a parking lot.
    Tires: 17 psi front, 30 rear. They also told me that it takes about 250 miles to just start to get the feeling for the Spyder. Patience Grasshopper.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

all ok.....just seen another limited dark edition pic on another post. has no stencil name on side cases

Spyder Garage

Contact Joe and Ann Meyer SL usernames CptJAM or SpyderAnn01 at Squared Away, I would bet they could help you get it home or connect you with an experienced Spyder rider who could for less than that $200 dealer charge.
    squared.jpg
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Buyer beware???? I see that is the dark edition. my RT limited has "limited" on the side cases. do they just not mark the "dark edition? so this a regular RT? maybe someone else can chime in. so many models have came out since 2008, 1st service for the 1330 cc is 3,600 miles not 600 miles for 998. some dealers get confused with this, but its been since 2014 of the 1330 cc's to get it right. then service intervals of 9,300 miles.

whats nice is no more valve checks like on the 998. 1330 had automatic hydraulic valves.
    Yeah. Dealer #1 was clueless...or thought I was. When I told them I wanted a Service Package with it, I ended up talking to FOUR different people. And NONE of what each of them told me was the same. And even more disturbing...the Service Manager told me the $2500 "package" would cover "6 of the required maintenance intervals of 5000 miles each recommended by the manufacturer". I had to bite my tongue to not laugh out loud at that. But what really made me run for the doors was when I mentioned the BRP Connect app, and could they show me how to make it work with my smartphone. ALL of them said, "We've never done that before." And they couldn't find any instructions on how to do it. I finally had to tell them to look in the 2019 Owner's Manual 'cos that's where Can Am finally put the instructions. Then even after they printed them out, we spent over 30 minutes trying to make it work, and they couldn't get it to work. I finally connected the Bluetooth to my phone myself so my music playlist WOULD play through the speakers on the bike.

Sorry, but when the sales staff, Service Staff, and Management don't even know about the products they sell, I'm out the door.

At dealer #2, the guy took my iPhone and had it running on the Spyder in less than 60 seconds. And all the questions I asked both him and the Service Manager were spot on in concert with the Owner's Manual. I found my dealer, and they made a sale.

Spyder Garage

Squared Away came to Anderson,SC for a rally last August 2018. I made appt to go and see them, I knew I needed an alignment. would have to work handlebars / steering in corners, but before I had already removed the bad scalloping front tires on edges, with car tires. much better handling and no out of round condition in the corners. the alignment was off, and felt much better afterward. took a ride to highest point in SC, much better acting

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Jeez Falcon, I'd LOVE to ryde it home for you, just so long as you cover my costs getting there & back?! But I guess it's probably gonna be a WHOLE lot cheaper for you to pay the Dealer - anyone know what a return flight from South Aus to Las Vagas is atm?? It's a shame, being so far away.....

But it looks like you got a pretty good deal! Enjoy!
    LMAO! I would consider paying Air Freight rates to get you here and back home, but based on your Avatar picture I'm concerned you may not be able to see over the dash of my new Spyder. Nice haircut, though.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Contact Joe and Ann Meyer SL usernames CptJAM or SpyderAnn01 at Squared Away, I would bet they could help you get it home or connect you with an experienced Spyder rider who could for less than that $200 dealer charge.
    squared.jpg
    Is he the one that does the Laser Alignment here in Las Vegas? I want to get that done anyhow, so that might be a good idea.

Spyder Garage

yes, you have company name and usernames, you can call or PM

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anyhow, I digress...…
    Also, how much of a transition to riding a Spyder can I expect to encounter before being "safe" doing it?
    Rick

So, I was going to say it only takes a minute to get used to the Spyder. Then I realized that would be lying. I drove my new to me around and around my neighborhood for a week or so. Not 16 hours a day, but at least 3 or 4 hours. If your dog was lost, I covered the condo association. Missing toddler? I made sure he/she/it wasn't in the street in the neighborhood.

I worry a little that people coming from the 2 wheel world think a Spyder is a the cure for accidents. It does provide a lot of storage. It does have a wonderful braking system. You don't have to put a foot down at a stop. But there are still idiot drivers out there.

Rant done. Enjoy your . Ryde early and ryde often

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Joe and Ann also do oil changes and sway bar and other accessory installs. The alignment is a must. When do you need this ridden to your home? PM me.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Which plays havoc with resale value, but oh well....
    My answer to the resale value issue is to "Love The One You're With". Since '14 the RTs have stayed basically the same(with the exception of the introduction of the digital dash in 2018). There have been"cosmetic" changes; but nothing worth getting rid of my low mileage 2015 RT Limited over. Besides, I've got a few farkles on it that I don't want to "give away". My BEST extended warranty will expire in a year, so I'm crossing my fingers that my so far trouble free Spyder stays that way. I've looked into extending my warranty; but have had zero luck in finding a company that will provide me one.( Has anybody had any success with this endeavor????)
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Joe and Ann also do oil changes and sway bar and other accessory installs. The alignment is a must. When do you need this ridden to your home? PM me.
    Thanks for the offer, but I just got back home from paying for the Spyder at the dealer. They are delivering it to my garage this afternoon. It's raining here, and I'm waiting for Revzilla to deliver the new helmet I ordered last night. So I'll get the Owner's Manual out and start reading it in-depth. And probably make way too many unnecessary trips to the garage in the next 48 hours to see if the Spyder got dusty or something.