Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default thankful member

Thank you all for this thread and comments nice to see everyone's little pieces of wisdom if not before this will be done this winter when she is put away for awhile. anybody have any warnings about the sequential led turn signals for the front fenders from sling mods that was the other thing i had in mind for this off season. thanks again
    2014 STS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Just completed the mod; thanks Ron for the info.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

This is a great fix! I love it.BUT Mine drips a few drops of gas after a ride.Was wonderin if I could put a check valve in the high part of the line n fix the drips? TYIA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    This is a great fix! I love it.BUT Mine drips a few drops of gas after a ride.Was wonderin if I could put a check valve in the high part of the line n fix the drips? TYIA
    Not sure about the check valve; sounds like you just need to route the gas tank vent hose higher than the tank before running to the rear of the bike.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

Hello BajaRon,
    Will I have benefits if I do this to my 2014 RT LTD (SE6)?
    PatrickH

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    Hello BajaRon,
    PatrickH
    I have my 2014 RTS done for several years now...The reason I did mine was because of excessive cranking when trying to start the engine in extremely hot weather...I think mine had a periodic purge valve problem...Since venting the gas tank to the atmosphere the hard starting in hot weather has gone away...larryd

Spyder Garage

Default Canister-Ectomy for 2014 SE6?

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I have my 2014 RTS done for several years now...The reason I did mine was because of excessive cranking when trying to start the engine in extremely hot weather...I think mine had a periodic purge valve problem...Since venting the gas tank to the atmosphere the hard starting in hot weather has gone away...larryd
    Thank you Larry. That helps. Patrick H

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    I would ask how you routed the vent hose? I'd say this is your issue. If you're getting raw gas out the end, something is wrong. You don't want a 'Check Valve'. This would defeat the purpose of the vent hose and probably cause major issues. You need to address the root problem. Done correctly, you will never have liquid come out the tube.

Hello BajaRon,
    PatrickH
    If your EVAP canister system is working perfectly, there is no net benefit or negative to your Spyder's function. However, if anything at all is not just right. For example, if you fill your fuel tank to the top, or if the PCV malfunctions, etc., then you can have some major negatives. Eliminating this system precludes any of the issues that you might otherwise run into. One great advantage is that you can put more fuel in the tank, giving you greater range, with zero concerns.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-08-2021 at 03:02 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I would ask how you routed the vent hose? I'd say this is your issue. If you're getting raw gas out the end, something is wrong. You don't want a 'Check Valve'. This would defeat the purpose of the vent hose and probably cause major issues. You need to address the root problem. Done correctly, you will never have liquid come out the tube.

If your EVAP canister system is working perfectly, there is no net benefit or negative to your Spyder's function. However, if anything at all is not just right. For example, if you fill your fuel tank to the top, or if the PCV malfunctions, etc., then you can have some major negatives. Eliminating this system precludes any of the issues that you might otherwise run into. One great advantage is that you can put more fuel in the tank, giving you greater range, with zero concerns.
    Ron,
    I like the greater range. Would hardly call that a side benefit. Thanks for the response.
    PatrickH

Spyder Garage

Ron,
    I like the greater range. Would hardly call that a side benefit. Thanks for the response.
    PatrickH
    Yep definitely a big plus on the V Twins.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glennm View Post
    Yep definitely a big plus on the V Twins.
    Most people do not even know that there is a small triangle that appears at the top of their fuel gauge when the tank is actually filled to the top. Typically you can get 1/2 gallon or more in the tank if you work at it a bit. If you drill a hole at into the top of the metal inlet, you can fill that last amount faster. A large, wasted air space was built into the top of the fuel tank to try and keep the evap system from getting overwhelmed with raw fuel. With the Evap cannister eliminated, so is the problem of filling your tank.

I can typically go 15-20 miles before my triangle goes away. This adds about 10% to my overall range.

Spyder Garage

Ron, when you say " If you drill a hole at into the top of the metal inlet, you can fill that last amount faster. " where, exactly are you talking about drilling? Where you screw in the fill cap? If YES, where in that area? In the threaded portion?
    PatrickH

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, I'm wondering too.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Most people do not even know that there is a small triangle that appears at the top of their fuel gauge when the tank is actually filled to the top. Typically you can get 1/2 gallon or more in the tank if you work at it a bit. If you drill a hole at into the top of the metal inlet, you can fill that last amount faster. A large, wasted air space was built into the top of the fuel tank to try and keep the evap system from getting overwhelmed with raw fuel. With the Evap cannister eliminated, so is the problem of filling your tank.

I can typically go 15-20 miles before my triangle goes away. This adds about 10% to my overall range.
    Hello Ron, when you say "If you drill a hole at into the top of the metal inlet, you can fill that last amount faster.", where are you talking about drilling? Is it in the neck just below the threads for the gas cap? Or is it IN the threads? I really like how you're talking about getting this extra range (gas capacity). PatrickH

Spyder Garage

Hello Ron, when you say "If you drill a hole at into the top of the metal inlet, you can fill that last amount faster.", where are you talking about drilling? Is it in the neck just below the threads for the gas cap? Or is it IN the threads? I really like how you're talking about getting this extra range (gas capacity). PatrickH
    There is a small slot just below the threads on the upper side of the fill tube. This is designed to vent air as you fill the tank. But it is too small. You just want to enlarge this hole to at least 1/4". If you do it with a drill, go slow and use a magnet to catch shavings. Or, some have used a strong flat blade screwdriver to widen the hole. Though you have to be careful not to deform the fill tube in the threaded area. I'll attach a picture if I get time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks much for the clarification.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

The extra mileage is a good reason for me to do this. I hate having to figure fuel mileage out in the middle of death valley. Anyway, I ask what size the hoses, fittings, and fuel filter was for a 2012. I assume (bad word to use) that they are the same on a 2016 rt? I have not seen any sizes or parts needed in any post.

Thanks, Bob

Spyder Garage

There is a small slot just below the threads on the upper side of the fill tube. This is designed to vent air as you fill the tank. But it is too small. You just want to enlarge this hole to at least 1/4". If you do it with a drill, go slow and use a magnet to catch shavings. Or, some have used a strong flat blade screwdriver to widen the hole. Though you have to be careful not to deform the fill tube in the threaded area. I'll attach a picture if I get time.
    Ron,
    Thanks for the speedy reply. I just went out to my bike, took a photo of the fill tube, drew a circle around the slot I think you're talking about, and attached it here. Is this what you're talking about? Is that where to drill the 1/4" hole (or would a pair, side-by-side be best?)?
    Regards, PatrickH
    Attached Files Attached Files

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I WOULDN'T be drilling with an ELECTRIC drill in that area...Even with an air drill, all you'd need is a spark and you and the bike could be GONE...

Spyder Garage

Ron,
    Thanks for the speedy reply. I just went out to my bike, took a photo of the fill tube, drew a circle around the slot I think you're talking about, and attached it here. Is this what you're talking about? Is that where to drill the 1/4" hole (or would a pair, side-by-side be best?)?
    Regards, PatrickH
    That is it.

Spyder Garage

....... You just want to enlarge this hole to at least 1/4". If you do it with a drill, go slow and use a magnet to catch shavings. Or, some have used a strong flat blade screwdriver to widen the hole. Though you have to be careful not to deform the fill tube .....
    In lieu of a using a magnet to catch any shavings (it can be a tad difficult to find one of the right size & shape to fit near enough to the drill bit so that it can catch all the swarf/shavings as you drill) you could try liberating an old metal teaspoon from the kitchen; bending it's handle enough to give you a secure grip and also angle the bowl to let it fit in thru the filler hole of the tank & 'cup' underneath the area where you are going to drill; then remove it again; smear the teaspoon bowl liberally with a light but sticky grease or petroleum jelly etc; re-insert & drill away, safe in the knowledge that all the shavings will be caught in the grease!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Hello BlueKnight911,
    I found your Gas Smell Fix photo. Thanks for posting it.
    I'm trying to figure out how to do this procedure to my 1330cc 2014 RT LTD. What year/model bike is your Gas Smell Photo?
    Looking at my service manual, it appears to me as though I'd have to remove the seat, the trunk, and saddlebags just to get to the plumbing you worked on for my 2014 RT. Do you know (or anyone else reading this) know whether I'm reading my manual correctly? Does anyone know of photos for a canister-ectomy for a 1330cc RT?
    Regards, Patrick
    2014 Spyder RT LTD silver, Corbin saddle w/backrest & gas filler door, 4" stubby antenna, dual USB charging receptacle on dash, handlebar "cuff" attachment point for RAM phone mount, Diamond-R trunk-top level luggage rack, magic mirrors, Bestem saddle bag liners & Hopnel trunk bag (2-piece set), SpyderPops bumpskid (not lighted), highway foot rests; rear tire General Altimax 215/60/15, Baker Wind Wings, LED Headlights, RT Series 2010-2019 Rear Trunk Holder

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hello BlueKnight911,
    I found your Gas Smell Fix photo. Thanks for posting it.
    I'm trying to figure out how to do this procedure to my 1330cc 2014 RT LTD. What year/model bike is your Gas Smell Photo?
    Looking at my service manual, it appears to me as though I'd have to remove the seat, the trunk, and saddlebags just to get to the plumbing you worked on for my 2014 RT. Do you know (or anyone else reading this) know whether I'm reading my manual correctly? Does anyone know of photos for a canister-ectomy for a 1330cc RT?
    Regards, Patrick
    GAS smell foto was on my 08 GS and then I did the same for my 2012 RSS both had the V-twin engine .....Hi, I also have a 14 RT .... I have never had any gas odor even on 100 F day ...... BRP did a major re-route of those lines for the 1330 models and I don't remember reading of them being an issue for them on this forum ..... Mike ..

Spyder Garage

I know this is kinda of old thread, but I thought I would add/bring it up again. Took a 50 mile ride to and from Las Vegas. Parked in the garage and left the door open for about 15 minutes. Checked the oil level (pita). Anyway the wife opened up the garage door again because of gas smell. I have NOT done the mod yet. I assume it is time.
    Secondly I ain't never seen the triangle on the gauge and can't seem to get the tank full.

Spyder Garage

Bob,
    What is your year/model Spyder? What's PITA, besides animal lovers? - If you do the mod, I'd love to see your pictures.
    Patrick
    2014 Spyder RT LTD silver, Corbin saddle w/backrest & gas filler door, 4" stubby antenna, dual USB charging receptacle on dash, handlebar "cuff" attachment point for RAM phone mount, Diamond-R trunk-top level luggage rack, magic mirrors, Bestem saddle bag liners & Hopnel trunk bag (2-piece set), SpyderPops bumpskid (not lighted), highway foot rests; rear tire General Altimax 215/60/15, Baker Wind Wings, LED Headlights, RT Series 2010-2019 Rear Trunk Holder