Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I have ridden in the teens but am not a fan even with heated gear. Several issues come to mind. 1. Water freezes at 32 degrees. All it takes is some guy to toss the cold coffee out the window at a stop sign and you have black ice. Even though you are on 3 wheels, you can still do the curly shuffle on the road. 2. Hypothermia. I experienced this once riding before I bought heated gear. You never feel it coming and all of a sudden you are so lethargic that you cannot react to a traffic situation. Just missed a turning car by inches that day. 3. Salt/brine. It gets into every nook and cranny of the bike. You will need to do a thorough wash to get it clean or plan on dealing with electrical and metal corrosion.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would not Spyder much below freezing, but I would snowmobile, it's just a matter of having the right gear and preferences. If I had full heated gear and good snow tires on a Spyder, sure why not.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Today pretty much defined my lower limits for commuting -- it was 30 degrees (but no wind) here in central Texas, and because there was no rain in the forecast, I decided to go ahead and ryde it. No disaster to report, but one of the reasons I ride my commute is to have those (thankfully, from a traffic standpoint) few minutes of me time before the day gets crazy, and after the day got crazy so I can leave it out there where it belongs. Once the temperature gets this low, it's just intruding on my thoughts too much.

Of course, as others have noted, a lot of it has to do with where you are. It's easy for us down here to reject a cold day, because we've got 364 other days where we could be ryding. And I don't want to accumulate all the gear I'd probably need to be able to do longer rides in the cold.

Snowbirding keeps looking smarter and smarter to me.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I've ridden in the snow and in 20° temps. Sometimes it was by choice, other times it was out of necessity. I'm finding out now that as my age increases, so does my desired riding temperature. I'll consider riding in the upper 40s, but I'm not excited for the opportunity. I pretty much draw the line at the mid 50s.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

Well I live on the central coast of Texas. I think we have had 3 and tonight will make 4 freezes this year. I have rode in cold weather 2 years ago on a trip to the Grand Canyon and Utah in March. We got up one morning 18°. We had to ride only so many days to ride. With the right gear it wasn't to bad and we were headed south. The cold is not bad when the sun is out. But 33°heavy rain and wind nope I'll stay in.

Spyder Garage

35 or 37 degrees with sun - and roads must be dry and free of salt. Shaded areas can still have ice so need to be careful.
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

Gotta be above freezing and no ice/snow on my street (it's never plowed) or driveway.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

50 and above to be enjoyable and not spend half an hour layering-up and covering every bit of exposed skin.
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

I'm one State below you (Nebraska) and can't ride also. we would appreciate it very much if you would quit sending us your cold weather and the snows!!!!! we have had enough snow (about butt deep to a baby giraffe??) and are ready for spring and ready to ride..
    BIG F

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I think 70 and above is just fine

I do NOT like to ride in the cold winter but some times you get stuck
    the picture of Julie and I was in August going over Mt. Lassen in California
    I always travel prepared.

WINTER.jpgJulie & I in the snow on the bike .jpg

Spyder Garage

I have heated gear, so ride above zero. Like someone said, the bigger issue is salt which will chew up a bike. I usually wait until a heavy spring rain has washed the salt/gravel aside and put the bike/spyder away at winter's first salted roads.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post
    I am guessing that that is just the record for the date. Not the season.
    Yep, I think for this season we hit a low of -28F. I agree with the rest of the your post regarding the heat can be just as bad. However, after this winter...I don't think I'll ever complain about the heat this summer!

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    I'm one State below you (Nebraska) and can't ride also. we would appreciate it very much if you would quit sending us your cold weather and the snows!!!!! we have had enough snow (about butt deep to a baby giraffe??) and are ready for spring and ready to ride..
    BIG F
    Don't blame South Dakota...it's all North Dakota's fault!

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

North east Tx here. 75 yrs has taught me it don't feel good don't do it. We will go from 38 to 70 in three days. I like 60 or above but will do mid 50's if needed or I know it will warm up in the afternoon.

Spyder Garage

Isn't it amazing how varied this sorta stuff can be?!? Here I am bemoaning the fact that it's such a great day here for ryding because it's actually COOL for a change & I'm stuck doing other stuff; while you all over there are just waiting for the warmer weather to arrive so you can ryde?!?

I reckon my 'warm enough' temps are anything over about 5° & under 38°-40°....... that's degrees C of course, we're a civilised country here in Aust! For those who still use degrees F, those temps convert to about 40°F on the cold end, & 100°/104°F on the hot end - and we've been getting quite a bit of weather with temps well over that hot level lately; mingled in with a few days of devastating floods & some feet not inches of rain! (yeah, I can use feet & inches if I really hafta! )

Dorothea Mackellar really got it right when she wrote 'My Country' back in about 1908 - the bit about My Country goes like this:

I love a sunburnt country,
    A land of sweeping plains
    Of ragged mountain ranges
    Of droughts and flooding rains.
    I love her far horizons
    I love her jewel-sea,
    Her beauty and her terror –
    The wide brown land for me!
    Still, down here where I am, we're pretty much all waiting for the cooler weather, and over there where you lot are, you're waiting for some heat... wonder if we could do a mail exchange for a little of the extremities?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Isn't it amazing how varied this sorta stuff can be?!? Here I am bemoaning the fact that it's such a great day here for ryding because it's actually COOL for a change & I'm stuck doing other stuff; while you all over there are just waiting for the warmer weather to arrive so you can ryde?!?

I reckon my 'warm enough' temps are anything over about 5° & under 38°-40°....... that's degrees C of course, we're a civilised country here in Aust! For those who still use degrees F, those temps convert to about 40°F on the cold end, & 100°/104°F on the hot end - and we've been getting quite a bit of weather with temps well over that hot level lately; mingled in with a few days of devastating floods & some feet not inches of rain! (yeah, I can use feet & inches if I really hafta! )

Dorothea Mackellar really got it right when she wrote 'My Country' back in about 1908 - the bit about My Country goes like this:

Still, down here where I am, we're pretty much all waiting for the cooler weather, and over there where you lot are, you're waiting for some heat... wonder if we could do a mail exchange for a little of the extremities?!
    In a little over six months you will be in the middle of winter.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If there is no salt, I will ride with temps in the 20+ range. We get a lot of frost on the roads in spring, then I usually wait until it gets to 40.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    In a little over six months you will be in the middle of winter.
    But unless I go looking for 'real snow', (about 2 solid days of ryding away!!) the coldest it's likely to get here is down in the low teens of the C range, so maybe down around 55-60ish °F...... yeah, winter here does get sorta wet & soggy, but then we are living in the driest State of the driest Continent short of Antarctica, so it's never likely to be weeks on end of solid rain. Besides, I've never been bothered too much by ryding in the rain, or in the snow for that matter, just so long as it's not a bucketting downpour or raging blizzard! And we do get the occasional snow here in South Aust, especially round here, cos we're living pretty close to the highest hills in the area, so it does snow sometimes..... but I gotta admit that the last time we got a few 'inches' of snow more than just a light dusting was over 55 years ago & me'n my younger brother got our pictures on the front page of most of the State's newspapers cos we got up early enough to make snowmen before it all melted, and having a coupla SNOWMEN in the Adelaide Hills is a pretty big deal round here!!

Still, I really do appreciate living here, where we can usually ryde year round. The extreme heat generally only lasts a few weeks or so, which means it hasn't really been much of an impediment cos it generally cools off a little overnight anyway; & it's quite a blast ryding out on an absolutely clear & moonless night in your lightweight summer gear with the Milky Way slowly wheeling overhead & lighting up the countryside so well that you could comfortably ryde without lights if you wanted to! And in wintertime there's a sorta perverse pleasure about ryding in the rain, warm & dry inside your ryding gear but still with your knees in the breeze & enjoying life as you pass the cagers all locked safely away with their tightly wound up windows & heaters on full blast hiding behind their madly waving wipers and all s*** scared that a little water might get in an make them WET!!

We live in a great place here, & I really do feel for you all with your restricted ryding seasons......but ain't life just the greatest thing when you can ryde a Spyder?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-05-2019 at 09:39 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My monthly ride is in serious jeopardy this month unless something changes....
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Anything over 25*F with no rain is good enough to ride for me!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Personally, I would rather ride when it's colder but dry, than if it were warmer but raining. To me, being wet is more miserable than being cold; even with proper rain gear the humidity just feels worse.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For me to enjoy the ride, 58 & up.

Spyder Garage

For me, if it's not raining, it's warm enough to ride! Bundle up and goooooo...........

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

I prefer 60 and sunny if I’m just going to go for a unplanned ride. I don’t enjoy having to layer up so I just don’t go.
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have riding as low as 9 but that is not fun. Last winter I had a morning at 18 and this year a couple of mornings at 22. Since I live in the Atlanta area I try to ride every day however age is either making me smarter or a wimp. I think for me I prefer to keep the temps in the 40s or higher, but the heated grips have made the 20s enjoyable.

Rod