Spyder Garage

Default Harley Trike - With Trike & Bike mode

Found this on you tube

https://youtu.be/jAbzBseEmwg
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

I do like that. Now I do not know if it has a reverse but if it does I could be sold one.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Well, as I see it, if you are in "Trike" mode, you're going to get hurt. Why, because with that narrow rear end it will tricycle over at a very low speed (notice how slow he is going in trike mode) because you can't lean into a curve or turn. Now in "Bike" mode, looks really cool! I personally would never ride it in trike mode at all. It's great if you want to sit on it stopped, but get it rolling and I'm getting off! But that's me, and I could be way wrong, but I'm sure not going to be the one to find out.......

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

Interesting....I was going to say "and a leaner" but was not thinking about the fall over possibilities.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I only have one question... Why?

The two rear wheels seem to give it a larger turning radius in bike mode than a 2 wheeled bike would have. The narrow rear makes it less stable than a true trike would be. Therefore, it does neither mode better than what it is trying to replace. Seems like nothing more than a novelty built simply to say it can be done.
    2016 F3T SM6 - Wife's Bike - Blank Canvas
    2017 Kawasaki Concours 14
    2016 Victory Magnum - Mods in progress
    2013 Suzuki M109R - Has a few mods

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Juice View Post
    Well, as I see it, if you are in "Trike" mode, you're going to get hurt. Why, because with that narrow rear end it will tricycle over at a very low speed (notice how slow he is going in trike mode) because you can't lean into a curve or turn. Now in "Bike" mode, looks really cool! I personally would never ride it in trike mode at all. It's great if you want to sit on it stopped, but get it rolling and I'm getting off! But that's me, and I could be way wrong, but I'm sure not going to be the one to find out.......
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I would like the wheels to be wider apart so to be able to have saddle bags and have thinner tires. Then it would be more stable in trike mode.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Poseiden & Bob & JP...

And while I'm here, it looks as tho it's only driving ONE of those dirty great rear tires too!! In the early part of the vid you can see the chain sprocket on the left & the end caps on each stub axle inside that/close to the centreline of the bike. So it appears that it's achieving its 'leanability' by using a left & a right swing arm up the back, only the right swing arm/tire doesn't seem to have any drive going to it at all!!

Then when he gets the thing out on the road, it looks like he still hasta 'steer' it around the place & to stay in a straight line too, rather than balancing it straight then counter-steering & leaning it thru the corners like you would on a true 2 wheeler.... and to make things worse, it looks like he's gotta feed in a fair bit of steering effort to continually correct the bump steer & directional changes/corrections resulting from having just one driving wheel back there multiplied by the continual tracking changes those dirty great tires on the back end cause!!

So really, apart from the actual leaning itself (which is sorta nice but IMO not essential), it looks like you get ALL the bad things about trike riding PLUS you lose most of the good things about bike riding! But I gues it does sound like a Harley & it looks pretty tough, so that'll probably make up for a lot for some!?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i like the backdrop, korean & chinese containers. is that a hint?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No brain bucket?

Spyder Garage

I like it. Reminds me of the Piaggio MP3. Stay in bike mode until you are going very slow then switch to trike mode to support the bike.
    Just what I need but can't afford.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Any more lean than a few degrees and the undercarage will scrape and lever the " bike " up.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At least half or more of us spyder pilots can't remember what it was that we went from one room into the other room to get, almost on a daily basis. How do you expect us to remember when to switch from bike mode to trike mode or back again? Suffering from CRS, this could lead to a catastrophe. I stopped buy the Can Am dealership last weekend and over heard a customer confessing to one of the employees that it took him several minutes to remember the spyder's starting sequence to fire it up and move it after he'd stored for the winter. LOL

Spyder Garage

Seems like a speed sensor input to shift from trike to bike mode wouldn't be that much of a problem. I'd be more concerned with the asymmetrical drive arrangement and the total lack of anywhere to put saddlebags or a tour pak. Solve those and I might have to go back to H-D... reluctantly!
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

that was a really interesting concept of bike vs. trike mode. However, I still like the appearance of my Spyder RTL....
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    At least half or more of us spyder pilots can't remember what it was that we went from one room into the other room to get, almost on a daily basis. How do you expect us to remember when to switch from bike mode to trike mode or back again? Suffering from CRS, this could lead to a catastrophe. I stopped buy the Can Am dealership last weekend and over heard a customer confessing to one of the employees that it took him several minutes to remember the spyder's starting sequence to fire it up and move it after he'd stored for the winter. LOL
    Aint that the truth Went for a midwinter ride this year and that was the first thing I saud to the wife. If I can remeber how to start this thing
    Dave
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests