Spyder Garage

Spyder Keyed power source......

Howdy fellow SL's. Installing a digital voltmeter with 2 usb connectors to my 2018 RTL. Got it installed(middle blank in switch cluster) and wires snaked through the spyder under world and want to connect into a keyed power source. I found the fog light circuit and not sure which color is positive (black or white/yellow) or any better suggestions for tie-in up front?

Thanks for any light you might shed.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

It should be the white/yellow as black is normally ground. There is switched user accessory wires provided that are by the battery, right side (when looking at the battery) for adding items like this. Look for two wires that are not connected to anything. They may have a tag on them stating this.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

The marker light is easy to get to. Tap into that.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Howdy fellow SL's. Installing a digital voltmeter with 2 usb connectors to my 2018 RTL. Got it installed(middle blank in switch cluster) and wires snaked through the spyder under world and want to connect into a keyed power source. I found the fog light circuit and not sure which color is positive (black or white/yellow) or any better suggestions for tie-in up front?

Thanks for any light you might shed.
    I think the headlight circuit may be easier to access.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your responses and suggestions.
    Okay, marker lights, headlight circuit and fog light switch are the suggestions so far. What are the color codes of the pos. and neg. wires and approx. location for the marker lights and headlight circuit.
    It would be nice to have a schematic, but BRP does not give you one, nor do they have it on their website. I have had Honda's all my life and always had the schematics for every bike.
    Thank ya Boyz………

Ron
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Spyder Garage

Consider installing an FZ-1 Fuse block for this 2018 RTL and any future add-on. Finished FZ-1 Install.jpg
    Finished FZ-1 Install 2.jpg
    "BLUE STAR – She shines so brightly"
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME
    2018 RTL , Large Brake Pedal (cut 1/3 off). Oxford Blue/Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MeudtPG View Post
    Consider installing an FZ-1 Fuse block for this 2018 RTL and any future add-on. Finished FZ-1 Install.jpg
    Finished FZ-1 Install 2.jpg
    Excellent idea to install a fuse block like this (there are others). They have both switched and unswitched circuits you can tap into.

As to your other question, BLACK is usually the common / ground in any circuit on the bike.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I used the "unused" position in the Right Fuse Box position F8 to have a circuit that is not only keyed, but is only active while the engine is running. (I have a 2015 RTL. Not sure if your 18 is the same.) I used a Add-A-Circuit brand fuse holder and simply placed it into the empty F8 slot. That position is powered through the load shed relay.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    There is switched user accessory wires provided that are by the battery, right side (when looking at the battery) for adding items like this. Look for two wires that are not connected to anything. They may have a tag on them stating this.
    That's on the F3 but not on the RT.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    It would be nice to have a schematic, but BRP does not give you one, nor do they have it on their website.
    BRP doesn't make service manuals available either, other than printed, even through third parties like Honda does. But you can get a good PDF copy from www.canammanuals.com for about $30. We've never figured out if they're truly legitimate or not, but BRP either doesn't really care or the provider is legally unreachable. And since BRP won't provide them directly we go where we need to to get them.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    That's on the F3 but not on the RT.
    Not true as the OP pm'ed me that he found those and is using them for his needs.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Not true as the OP pm'ed me that he found those and is using them for his needs.
    My bad.

The F3 has a pigtail specifically for accessory connections up under the Tupperware by the fuel tank, right? That's what I was thinking about. The RT does not have a similar pigtail. I'm sure the wires you are referring to, and which the OP is using, are the wires that are to be connected to the optional power outlet in the frunk. I have the power outlet in my frunk, hence no spare wires available to the right of the battery! If one does not have the power outlet in the frunk then that pair of wires is definitely a good one to connect to. It is fused at 5 amps and has no other loads connected to it except for the trunk power outlet so it'll handle fair bit of farkle load.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Yup, found that little booger tucked up way behind and to the right of the battery. Put a couple of blade connectors on my wires that I snaked from the switch panel and now have a digital voltmeter and double USB outlet right here at my finger tips. I will be using my TomTom GPS and plugging my iPhone(cradled in a spider cuff X holder, into the USB ports. I personally don't like the BRP connect feature.(They need to work on that) Takes forever to bring it up in the frunk every time you stop and it's maps are way to small for my old eyes.
    Thank you to all for your responses and PM's. I downloaded the factory maintenance manual from https://canammanuals.com for $25 and can now proceed to be a backyard mechanic again. Lots of great info in there including the flat rates labor charge guidelines we should be paying for most every repair.

Glide-on>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Spyder Garage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbxnh3VeLL4

here is your answer. I installed the same on mine

Ron
    2016 RT Limited , stock yes red