Spyder Garage

Default Help! It's STUCK in REVERSE?!

Hello SL world ….Last Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2019, I had just left home for afternoon ride on my 2014 ST SE5 when suddenly it would not shift out of first gear after pulling off from stop sign. I stopped, shifted to neutral and from that point could only shift into Reverse and not back to neutral.
    I turned the motor off and on a couple times but the gear remained in Reverse.
    I was able to safely return home, "1 mile", in Reverse. Oil level good and New battery prior to problem.
    Has anyone experienced similar problem and does anyone have any suggestions to get my Spyder out of Reverse and back on the road???
    Thank You in Advance.

Spyder Garage

sure sounds like the paddle switch is malfunctioning , and it is probably a switch right inside the grip area on the left side ... ( but to make sure check under the left side of your cycle see if the shifting rod moves as someone else is trying the shift paddle on the handle bar , might give more information a why it is not going into forward gears ... ) but more than not , will be the switch .

Spyder Garage

Default Stuck in reverse

Same thing happened to me years ago and it was the shifter rod was loose down on the left side of the bike about where your heel sits when riding where the shifter rod connects to the transmission check for tightness hope that helps

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

if you find the lever loose you would have to tighten it back up and you should be fine. Check to make sure the splines are good on both the shaft and the lever. If this happens out there you can manually shift it with a wrench and put it in say second gear to be able to get to a shop or home.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black