Thread: Oil substitute

Spyder Garage

Default Oil substitute

Just got a 2015 Spyder F3-S SE6. Manual and owner's manual calls for 4 stroke XPS oil. I use Amsoil in my BMW bike. Looking on the Amsoil website it calls for, I think 10w-40 or 5W-40, can't remember right this second. Anyway, how important is it for this particular engine to stick with the xps oil? That stuff is to pricey and I get Amsoil through a friend at cost. What do you all run in the 1330 Rotax? I know that certain motors are finicky. Thanks

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sbct View Post
    Just got a 2015 Spyder F3-S SE6. Manual and owner's manual calls for 4 stroke XPS oil. I use Amsoil in my BMW bike. Looking on the Amsoil website it calls for, I think 10w-40 or 5W-40, can't remember right this second. Anyway, how important is it for this particular engine to stick with the xps oil? That stuff is to pricey and I get Amsoil through a friend at cost. What do you all run in the 1330 Rotax? I know that certain motors are finicky. Thanks
    In a word " HOOEY " …… Amsoil is at least 5 times better than the BRP stuff ….. I used to use Volvoline 4 Stroke full syn ….. But have switched to Rotella T-6 also full syn. ...both were rated JASO 2 ….. that's good enough for me ….and many others here ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Manufacturer's are always going to tell you to stick with their branded oil. Though BRP, Can-Am, Harley Davidson, Yamaha, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, you name it. None of them make oil. They all use a commercial oil (Castrol in the case of BRP), etc., and simply put it in their bottle. The only thing BRP about their oil is the container, which you throw away.

It is very easy to find a better lubricant for less money with a little bit of homework. That is a much better way to go, IMHO. Better for less money always thrills me. You can throw tires into this same bag, if I may say so.

Sorry, I'm a bit opinionated. It's a weakness. I'm going to sessions for it though....
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-02-2019 at 07:52 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Figured the BRP stuff was nothing special.

Spyder Garage

Just make sure the oil you use meets the spec's in the manual or the XPS container....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Gene is in the center of the bulls-eye. You could use what came out of a bottle marked Ben & Jerry's if it said it met the API service specifications listed in your operator's guide. No, Chunky Monkey doesn't meet the specs.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All oil is dino oil. Synthetic oil is still dino oil, but highly refined with added compounds from other sources and then sold to the highest bidder and rebranded by the buyer as to whatever the new owner wants to call it. Just make sure whatever you decide to use is marketed and intended for use in motorcycles. Most all oils made and sold for cars contain friction modifiers to improve fuel millage. DON'T USE THAT STUFF! It will ruin the discs in your clutch pack. Just pick a brand name oil made for motorcycles and you'll be good. By the way, in a pinch you can use/add an oil designed for use in diesel engines without harm to your clutch pack, but, change it out at the first opportunity.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    All oil is dino oil. Synthetic oil is still dino oil, but highly refined with added compounds from other sources and then sold to the highest bidder and rebranded by the buyer as to whatever the new owner wants to call it. Just make sure whatever you decide to use is marketed and intended for use in motorcycles. Most all oils made and sold for cars contain friction modifiers to improve fuel millage. DON'T USE THAT STUFF! It will ruin the discs in your clutch pack. Just pick a brand name oil made for motorcycles and you'll be good. By the way, in a pinch you can use/add an oil designed for use in diesel engines without harm to your clutch pack, but, change it out at the first opportunity.
    There are diesel oils that are Jaso MA rated that are fine for motorcycles such as Rotella T6
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    There are diesel oils that are Jaso MA rated that are fine for motorcycles such as Rotella T6
    Does any diesel oil have friction modifiers? Jaso MA is a rating they pay for but I bet a majority are just fine. I wrote Rotella about their T5
    blend not being Jaso rated and they said they didn't want to invest the $$ doing so. The fact they wrote me back and were up front and honest
    makes me trust their products even more.

While I’m not always aware of our marketing group’s priorities, I doubt that it is likely we would seek JASO MA or MA2 certification for the Shell Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend products in the near future. While use of our Shell Rotella T Triple Protection Oil SAE 15W-40 and Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-40 in equipment with a wet clutch has become a good niche market for us, it is just that – a niche market. Truthfully, certification takes money, and I don’t believe this area is a current priority for Shell Rotella T5 oils.

Thank you for your interest in Shell/Pennzoil/Quaker State Lubricants!

Regards,
    Edward A. Calcote
    Staff Chemist
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2006 Triumph Rocket Dyno tuned 140hp 154tq)

Spyder Garage

Having 9 years experience with Victory MCs and a devout Vic forum follower, many there (if not most) use either T-6 or the blend with very good results. No wet clutch slippage and improved shifts. When I switched to T-6 I noticed a marked improvement in shifting and quieter lifters. I will be switching to T-6 in my F3L as well.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Having 9 years experience with Victory MCs and a devout Vic forum follower, many there (if not most) use either T-6 or the blend with very good results. No wet clutch slippage and improved shifts. When I switched to T-6 I noticed a marked improvement in shifting and quieter lifters. I will be switching to T-6 in my F3L as well.
    A member posted a link to the NEW Re-bate form from Shell for the Rotella products ….. I think it brings the cost down to about $ 4.00 per Quart … check the advanced search for it ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Getting anything with a good sale price is always great! Thanks Mike.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome