Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

That trunk-holder is more or less a stick.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Are you by chance thinking about the two screws that hold the seat in place? Those are problematic.
    To keep those square nuts from sliding out of the slot I put the bolt thru into the nut to hold it in place, then I put a dab of hot melt glue at the end of the slot.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    To keep those square nuts from sliding out of the slot I put the bolt thru into the nut to hold it in place, then I put a dab of hot melt glue at the end of the slot.
    Good fix! I used screws but don't remember exactly how without going out to look. I probably drilled a hole in the channel and put a screw through it to stop the nut.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Old thread but timely for me. Just got back from a long ride and would have been nice to have a tad more storage so got Big Bike Parts trunk carrier. Haven't used it yet but looks great and think it will work BUT trunk will no longer stay up. Would have been nice if they warned you so you can be prepared for the fix. Anyone else deal with this? Think I know what I need but if anyone has advice that would be great.
    Thanks.
    2014 RT-SE6
    Akrapovic Sport Touring 3C Silencer
    High Mount Third Brake Light
    Kuryakyn Black ISO Motorcycle Grips
    LaMonster Spyderdock
    LED’s everywhere!
    Russell Day-Long w/ Backrest
    Seal Floorboards
    Spyderpops Bump Skid
    Spyderpops KOTT Grill (Keep Out The Trash)
    Squared Away Alignment

Riding taught me why dogs stick their heads out the window!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by martiniman View Post
    Old thread but timely for me. Just got back from a long ride and would have been nice to have a tad more storage so got Big Bike Parts trunk carrier. Haven't used it yet but looks great and think it will work BUT trunk will no longer stay up. Would have been nice if they warned you so you can be prepared for the fix. Anyone else deal with this? Think I know what I need but if anyone has advice that would be great.
    Thanks.
    Did you read this entire thread? The info you need is in the first few posts.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Like noted In previous ...Pierre at canamspyderaccessories.com....Simple unit e z to install

Spyder Garage

Didn't have time yesterday, but I will today, Thanks!
    2014 RT-SE6
    LaMonster Spyderdock
    LED’s everywhere!
    Seal Floorboards
    Spyderpops Bump Skid
    Squared Away Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    I just bought mine from my dealer as I couldn't find a similar size and style in Canada and to order one from the US with the difference in the $$$ and shipping wouldn't have been cheaper.

Gaz Shock - 708300383

If you're mounting the second side as well you will need the mounting hardware as well

Top Mount
    Spacer - 708300384
    Stainless Torx Screw,Nylon Patch,M6 X 30 - 250000398
    Domed Nut M6 - 232361493

Bottom Mount
    Ball Stud - 250300039
    Hex. Flanged Elastic Nut M8 - 233281414
    Most likely operator error on my part, but I ordered the bottom mount parts, Ball Stud - 250300039 and Hex. Flanged Elastic Nut M8 - 233281414 but the nut was too big. Should be M6? Is the ball stud the correct size for the shock?
    Thanks for any insight you can provide.
    2014 RT-SE6
    LaMonster Spyderdock
    LED’s everywhere!
    Seal Floorboards
    Spyderpops Bump Skid
    Squared Away Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by martiniman View Post
    Most likely operator error on my part, but I ordered the bottom mount parts, Ball Stud - 250300039 and Hex. Flanged Elastic Nut M8 - 233281414 but the nut was too big. Should be M6? Is the ball stud the correct size for the shock?
    Thanks for any insight you can provide.
    The nut should be M6. The ball is 10mm IIRC. I used a 10mm ball stud with 5/16" stud from NAPA when I added the second strut. Consider adding a fender washer under the ball to keep the plastic flange from bending from the stress of the strut. The upper end of the strut has a bushing. I found one close enough in inside and outside diameter from the hardware store and cut it shorter to fit. I think I got the struts from Lift Depot.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The nut should be M6. The ball is 10mm IIRC. I used a 10mm ball stud with 5/16" stud from NAPA when I added the second strut. Consider adding a fender washer under the ball to keep the plastic flange from bending from the stress of the strut. The upper end of the strut has a bushing. I found one close enough in inside and outside diameter from the hardware store and cut it shorter to fit. I think I got the struts from Lift Depot.
    Excellent! I'll get another 10mm ball stud just to be sure. Thanks IdahoMtnSpyder!
    2014 RT-SE6
    LaMonster Spyderdock
    LED’s everywhere!
    Seal Floorboards
    Spyderpops Bump Skid
    Squared Away Alignment

Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...6&d=1565870873
    Heres a link to the parts you need to add a second strut,just buy 2 of the smaller struts if you need to replace your original also.Theyre only 11.00$.If you want your seat to pop up easy also buy the large 16$ strut.Buy all the small hardware as well either way,its just like 3$ more.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Links for the parts are in the description of the video.

https://youtu.be/Y4av0_tQvow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...6&d=1565870873
    Heres a link to the parts you need to add a second strut,just buy 2 of the smaller struts if you need to replace your original also.Theyre only 11.00$.If you want your seat to pop up easy also buy the large 16$ strut.Buy all the small hardware as well either way,its just like 3$ more.
    I notice that the strut that you bought has a 5.9" extended length while the amazon replacement shock has an extended length of 7.87". how did you deal with the shorter length?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2020 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I dont know why the amazon unit is so long,I do know that the unit I got from McMaster carr was about 1/8 inch shorter than the original on my 17rtl but made no difference to the operation of trunk lid at all except that the lid stays up easily even with a tour bag full of clothes on the rivco rack.My problem started when I put that rack on and the original single shock that was on it couldn't hold it up.I also felt that the shock for the seat was very weak so I changed over to the 40lb shock which now makes the seat pop up by itself,I just turn the key to release the seat and it pops up.Originaly my seat stayed up by itself until I put a BRP backrest on.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE