Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear trunk strut replacement

The strut that holds the trunk open on the rear of my 2010 Spyder RT needs to be replaced. Anyone done this job? I just purchased the bike so this will be my first attempt at repair.
    Thanks

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robbob View Post
    The strut that holds the trunk open on the rear of my 2010 Spyder RT needs to be replaced. Anyone done this job? I just purchased the bike so this will be my first attempt at repair.
    Thanks
    Yes quite a few actually ….. I have recommended looking in McMaster-Carr for a replacement …… I would check for you but I need the measurements for the ROD and the Barrel, they sell for about $15.00 ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Its easy to replace. Remove the passenger seat back and you have full access to both ends.

This one is available for $44

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDPI3O9

A genuine BRP one will run you $65. Never found generic ones that would fit, especially at $15. Its a pretty odd ball size made specific for BRP.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like BK911 has it nailed. At that price I'd put in two, one on each side. I did Finless's mod but I have to keep taking it apart from time to time and re-stretch the spring. I heard that you can take your strut into Napa and they can duplicate for you it at a reasonable price.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Sounds like BK911 has it nailed. At that price I'd put in two, one on each side. I did Finless's mod but I have to keep taking it apart from time to time and re-stretch the spring. I heard that you can take your strut into Napa and they can duplicate for you it at a reasonable price.
    I don't know about NAPA @ $15.00 ….. these smaller gas struts at McMaster Carr are really reasonable annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd they come in lots of different pressures ………...MAYBE someone will post the EXACT size of an OEM one ????? ……………There are also sizes for the SEAT STRUT, I'll check my old one that is somewhere in my workshop …..Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I put 2 on mine, great & inexpensive upgrade!
    Travel with a rollbag on the lid and no problems with lid staying open with bag in place!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Thanks people. Just what I hoped to hear. After I do the job I'll post where I ended up getting the strut(s), their cost and how it went.
    Robbob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    I put 2 on mine, great & inexpensive upgrade!
    Travel with a rollbag on the lid and no problems with lid staying open with bag in place!
    Do you have a source name and part number?
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I replaced mine with the one JC links to above and later added another one to the other side. I suggest you add a fender washer to the ball stud at the bottom. There's enough pressure on the stud that the plastic flange it bolts to will start to bend. If you decide to put one on the other side you can get a ball stud from NAPA with a 10 mm ball except it'll have a 5/16" thread, not 6 mm, but the sizes are close enough to not cause a problem. The top end uses a bushing. Buy one close to the right ID and OD from your hardware store and cut it to the right length.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robbob View Post
    Thanks people. Just what I hoped to hear. After I do the job I'll post where I ended up getting the strut(s), their cost and how it went.
    Robbob
    be carful with that riders back rest , those 2 nuts that are on the inside of the back rest will pop out from what I have seen , and read ... just a little bit of pressure when reattaching the back rest to grab the nuts , just to get the bolt started !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Do you have a source name and part number?
    I just bought mine from my dealer as I couldn't find a similar size and style in Canada and to order one from the US with the difference in the $$$ and shipping wouldn't have been cheaper.

Gaz Shock - 708300383

If you're mounting the second side as well you will need the mounting hardware as well

Top Mount
    Spacer - 708300384
    Stainless Torx Screw,Nylon Patch,M6 X 30 - 250000398
    Domed Nut M6 - 232361493

Bottom Mount
    Ball Stud - 250300039
    Hex. Flanged Elastic Nut M8 - 233281414
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    be carful with that riders back rest , those 2 nuts that are on the inside of the back rest will pop out from what I have seen , and read ... just a little bit of pressure when reattaching the back rest to grab the nuts , just to get the bolt started !
    Hmmmmmm, have never seen any indication of a problem! There are actually three screws into the backside of the backrest and two at the top edge of the trunk.

Are you by chance thinking about the two screws that hold the seat in place? Those are problematic.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I just bought mine from my dealer as I couldn't find a similar size and style in Canada and to order one from the US with the difference in the $$$ and shipping wouldn't have been cheaper.

Gaz Shock - 708300383

If you're mounting the second side as well you will need the mounting hardware as well

Top Mount
    Spacer - 708300384
    Domed Nut M6 - 232361493

Bottom Mount
    Ball Stud - 250300039

Thank you.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Gaz Shock - 708300383

Top Mount
    Spacer - 708300384
    Domed Nut M6 - 232361493

Bottom Mount
    Ball Stud - 250300039
    Purple guy has the correct info here.
    Added the second strut on myself (dealer sourced) and it works fine with the trunk rack loaded

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Hmmmmmm, have never seen any indication of a problem! There are actually three screws into the backside of the backrest and two at the top edge of the trunk.

Are you by chance thinking about the two screws that hold the seat in place? Those are problematic.
    I am just now installing Passenger Arm Rests. I put Duct Tape over the holes at the way back end so as not to lose the nuts and bolts. Murphy and I are really tight.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Just FYI, BRP got rid of those captured nuts on the back rest for the 2018 model RT.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

there are a couple of threads here somewhere on the subject of the nuts coming off, but I can't find them. Anyway the nuts are glued to the seat back and can pop loose if you put too much pressure on them when screwing them down. They don't need to be super tight, just snug enough to hold the cushion in place.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Just FYI, BRP got rid of those captured nuts on the back rest for the 2018 model RT.
    I just HAD to take my seat back off to see what you guys are referring to. So they used to be, like my 2014, very securely anchored but not any longer, right? It's things like this why I made the comment in Bob's leaving thread about beginning to feel less relevant. My experience just ain't the same as that of the owners of newer Spyders.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I replaced mine a couple of years ago, and cost me somewhere between $14-18.00
    I am sure I have the info on one of my posts from then, along with price and where I bought.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

Thanks JC that is a good thing to know

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Www.canamspyderaccessiries.com sells a little rod type unit similar to how the hood of cars was held open....installs E Z....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
    Www.canamspyderaccessiries.com sells a little rod type unit similar to how the hood of cars was held open....installs E Z....
    How about a direct link? I don't find it. Also, correct the spelling to http://www.canamspyderaccessories.com/!!!!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Sorry for the typo...if you can figure that out you should find the site....

Spyder Garage
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
    Sorry for the typo...if you can figure that out you should find the site....
    Yeah, I found the site alright. It's the product I can't find!

2014 Copper RTS