Spyder Garage

Default Does the new GPS need cell service?

I have been looking at the 2018 and 2019 models. The main question i have is about the GPS or lack there of. I understand that you have to connect your phone into the spyder system and then use the maps that is on your phone. Is this correct??? If it is then what happens when you do not have cell service; This past August I went to Spyder Odyssey in Kingston, ON, CA and on the way home I took the northern route, north above the Great lakes, and from Sault Ste Marie, ON, CA until Thunder Bay ON, CA I did not have any cell service and this is a distance of approx 500 miles. I have a 2014 RTL so I had my GPS. If I take this route with the new Spyders how would you navigate in this area?? Thanks for your help in this matter

Spyder Garage

I did not like having to depend on cell service for navigation so I added a garmin 595 to the 2018 F3L. It also has a larger screen then the F3 so it will be easier to see.
    The 595 also has tire pressure monitoring so I added the sending units for that.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

With BRP Connect, you can use Google Maps or Genius Maps on your phone.

Google Maps does need cell service and impacts your data download.

Genius Maps downloads the desired maps to your phone ( presumably while using your WiFi) and does not use cell service while on the road, however it is less user friendly. I have not actually used it while riding yet. There is a one time fee to use Genius Maps thru BRP Connect.

There is now a third option call Sygic maps or some similar name, I do not know anything about it.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post
    Google Maps does need cell service and impacts your data download.
    Phone based GPS does NOT need a continuous cell connection to work.

It downloads the maps in chunks and uses very little "cell data".
    Then the actual GPS function works with a "real" GPS chip just like the dedicated units do.

SO......having an occasional loss of cellular connectivity is usually NOT a problem.
    Not having cell service for a continuous 500 miles, however, might be a problem.

Spyder Garage

You cand download offline google maps(Android) which will not require any data or cell-signal. It also helpful when traveling cross-border no roamaing charges.
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

PW2013STL, are you using your Garmin TPMS sensors on metal or rubber valve stems? If the former do you know what brand of valve stems? My Zumo 590 instructions say to only use metal valve stems and my dealership does not know what brand and size to use and I would like to have them on my Spyder to use the TPMS with my GPS.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

There is a common misunderstanding that when you're using your cell phone that you must be within cellular tower range in order to use GPS maps. That is incorrect, because GPS uses satellites, not cell service. The issue you would have is how to download the maps you want to use, as others have stated above.

Spyder Garage

Is Goggle Maps availible for BRP Connect? I start BRP Connect, select Maps and a disclamer with TOMTOM comes up. I do’nt see a Google Maps choice somewhere.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    PW2013STL, are you using your Garmin TPMS sensors on metal or rubber valve stems? If the former do you know what brand of valve stems? My Zumo 590 instructions say to only use metal valve stems and my dealership does not know what brand and size to use and I would like to have them on my Spyder to use the TPMS with my GPS.
    I am using the stock rubber stems. They are so close to the wheel that I am not worried about the weight causing stem falure.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I agree that I did not like using my phone for my GPS on my screen on my 2018 F-3L, so I purchased a GPS and put it on my trike, that leaves my phone open for answering calls, and playing music off my phone through the Spyder speakers!!

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I did not like having to depend on cell service for navigation so I added a garmin 595 to the 2018 F3L. It also has a larger screen then the F3 so it will be easier to see.
    The 595 also has tire pressure monitoring so I added the sending units for that.

Spyder Garage

How do you use Google Maps with BRP Connect?
    2018 White F3 Limited