Spyder Garage

Default Best aftermarket seat

I want to upgrade my stock seat on my rt. Who has what seats? We want to be able to tour.

Spyder Garage

I've had most all of them over the years.......then went to the best for the last three bikes...... Russell Day Long.......done.
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Spyder Garage

The BRP Comfort seat is a step up. It will set the driver back a couple inches. The padding on the most recent versions will let you go all day.

The OEM's, I refer to as "mush seats." They were good for about 50 miles and I had to get off.

Cost is about $600 these days. A bargain compared to some of the others out there.

I have had them on two RS, and one RT. Also had two Corbins. One on rs and one RT. The Corbins are harder and more costly. You either like Corbins or you hate them. I was a liker. They offered "support."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

For the RT we tried stock, BRP comfort, Ultimate, and finally Day Long.
    The BRP comfort seat was better for the driver, but worst for the passenger as it took away needed space.
    The Ultimate looked fantastic, but for me was uncomfortable as a driver.
    The Russall Day Long lives up to it's name.

When we switched to F3's ordered Day Longs for both.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, Russell Day Long. Put your order in now, there's a waiting list. Give them a call.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my RT the BRP Comfort seat was great but on my F3T I went with a Russell Day Long. I love it but they are pricey, if I was getting another Spyder I would try a Laam Customs www.laamseats.com. They are the same style as a Day Long but at half the price
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by piperpilot75 View Post
    I want to upgrade my stock seat on my rt. Who has what seats? We want to be able to tour.
    To be frank and Honest ( been riding Spyders for 9+ yrs ) only YOUR butt can answer this question …… In the past 6+ yrs. I have read hundreds & hundreds of posts/threads about how BAD the various OEM seats are for some folks...… My orig. 08 GS seat was nothing to brag about, but my 2011 RSS was quite comfortable ( 690 mi. in one stretch of gas stops only riding ) … I like my 2014 RT seat, but might add a gel pad at some point ….. some folks have solved their issues with BEAD covers, separate GEL pads , Air cushions etc. these are the least expensive option … & if you don't like any of them you try another and SELL the ones you don't like here on the Forum ………… just a thought …. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Another vote for the Day Long here. In the shop the stock RTL seat hurt in 5 mins, the used bike I bought has a day long and I can go for hours and not be bothered.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

yep Russell DayLong. I would get twitgy after 1.25 hrs on RT. Now with RDL seat I can go full tank (about 200 miles) and feel a lot better. I even did 7,600 miles out west tour last year in 2 weeks. Did not get the real soreness as with stock seat.
    you can even get spyder stitching, pick your fabric color, and choice of fabric. I got sunbrella, lasts longer and better in heat / sun20171128_170755.jpg
    20171128_170743.jpg
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Blueknight911 is in the bulls-eye; only your rump knows. I am very lucky that my choice of the BRP Comfort Seat works like a champ for both me and my wife when she rides which isn't often.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I had an ultimate on my Vstar, was not that impressed, still had a soar tushy after 100 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I stopped by both Laam's and Russell's today and both have waiting lists of about 2 1/2 to 3 months. So if you want a seat made you are looking at June or there abouts. If you make arrangements for a ride-in, you may get quicker service but you'll have to check that out with them. Interesting bit of trivia. The top five 1k Iron Butt riders all sat on Rissell's Day Long seats. Laam seems to have less choices of materials and features and is about $200/250 below Russell's prices. However Russell offers more options in materials and features. Laam is and owner operator where Russell has a number of employees working for him. Both Laam and Russell's staff are very nice and informative folks. If you're looking for a neat comfortable seat either one would be a good choice. But remember, no two butts are the same.

Spyder Garage

I was very close to ordering a Russel Day Long, but hated to spend that much for something site unseen. Living in NH, I plan on stopping by Mustang Seats near Springfield MA to look at there products.
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is no single answer for this question... But listen to a real ass (Your own!), and it won't steer you wrong.

But my hiney was pretty partial to Ultimate; or RDL...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Whenever seat upgrades are discussed the big three are always in the discussion, BRP Comfort, Ultimate and RDL. How about the Mustang motorcycle seat? Anyone try that model?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I looked at Mustang a couple of times over the years... their padding just wasn't what I was looking for.
    (They were a bit "flat".)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Man, there is no winning lol, I had Ultimate on my Vstar and a BIG ED, didnt like either much. I do not want to wait 3 months for RDL seat and scared mustang is inadequate, oh the humanity lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    Whenever seat upgrades are discussed the big three are always in the discussion, BRP Comfort, Ultimate and RDL. How about the Mustang motorcycle seat? Anyone try that model?
    Have had them on two wheelers. Liked them a lot. No experience on Spyder though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red