Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibration?

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration?

2018 F3 limited, less then 200 miles on it. I installed LaMonsters Spyder Cuff on the left handlebar, attached to it is a cup holder and an x grip phone holder. Went for a ride with my girlfriend and found the cell phone was vibrating quite a lot, at least 1/8 inch hard to read the phone. The cup holder that is clamped on the right side hand bars for the passenger was vibrating quite a lot also. If it was only the cell phone I would think, tire balance or front end alignment. Throw in the cup holder on the rear end of the bike means the whole bike is vibrating. LaMonster belt tensioner is installed. I hope this much vibration is not normal for the F3!
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Look up belt vibration in this forum. Very common for over tensioned belts and very curable. There are MANY threads and opinions about this and it takes a lot of sifting trough to come to your own conclusions and your own remidies..... Good luck.....Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I do have a belt tensioner installed, didn't think about the belt being too tight.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Look up belt vibration in this forum. Very common for over tensioned belts and very curable. There are MANY threads and opinions about this and it takes a lot of sifting trough to come to your own conclusions and your own remidies..... Good luck.....Jim
    Just to clarify - did this vibration start after you added the things on the handlebar or has it been there all along …… It is a well known fact that the OEM Kenda tires have had many issues with imbalanced tires, defective tires, and poor construction..... Get them ( the front wheels/tires ) balanced at a CAR shop on a high speed spin balancer ….. The shop will tell you if they are un-able top balance them because the tire is defective …… with " canamjhb " above that the OEM specs for rear belt tension can cause vibes there if the dealer has your Spyder set at that tension level …… good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Baja Ron sway bar, Squared away alignment & rebalance tires (road force) if you can find someone to do it in your area. That should do the trick. I would say alignment is probably 90% of your problem, but the Baja Ron sway bar just makes it handle so much better, it’s totally worth it. Kenda tires are crap for the front but you should be able to balance them out enough unless you want to replace them right away (I would & did with only 1500 miles on them) smooth as butter!
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

Being new to Spyders, I find the belt awfully tight, compared to that on my Victory motorcycle. What are you folks adjusting at, irrespective of the specs, and what tools do you use to measure the setting?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Being new to Spyders, I find the belt awfully tight, compared to that on my Victory motorcycle. What are you folks adjusting at, irrespective of the specs, and what tools do you use to measure the setting?
    Buy a " KRITKIT " belt tension measuring device from a vendor here BAJARON …. about $12.00 …… I run my 2014 @ 160 lbs.+/- … Checked on-the ground...… It will be higher if the rear wheel is OFF the ground, … but I refuse to raise my rear tire every time I check it and the difference has been estimated at 20lbs. hence 160 vs 180 ………….good luck...… Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike....I appreciate the advice. Any thing to know about doing the belt tension adjustment?
    What do you folks think of this guy's technique?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Ewxr7qwqo
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

I have an apointmnt Friday to install thr Baja Ron Swaybar. I will have them check the belt tension. Will ask if they could have the front tires rebalanced.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

The belt vibe is will not be a shake felt in the handle bars but more of a vibration felt throughout the bike. It’s a high frequency vibe (like a vibrator) & you can really feel it in the seat & legs through the pegs. A shake in the bars would be more alignment or tire balance issue. Best way to check belt tension (without buying or using a tool) is to take the belt with one hand & twist it. You should be able to go 90 degrees with it & thats it. All the ones I’ve seen are way too tight from the factory. You may not even need a tensioner after adjusting.
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike....I appreciate the advice. Any thing to know about doing the belt tension adjustment?
    What do you folks think of this guy's technique?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Ewxr7qwqo
    It's a through vid..... but He raises the bike to do it …. Do you really want to bother doing this ???? If the OFF the ground is 180lbs..... and you then lower the bike to ON the ground the reading will be approx. 160lbs So they are really the SAME, just one way of taking the measurement is a lot more work - but achieves the same result ….more effort vs. less effort - but equals the same result ….. have fun …. Mike ….. The TWIST the belt thing is SWAG, but can let you know it needs adjusting - just not how much is enough …...

Spyder Garage

Mike - Thanks again. I ordered a Krikit. I should have added; Do you like his method of belt aligning? And do you check the belt tension with it overnight cold, or does it matter? What's the torque on the rear axle nut? In a video, it looked like it wasn't very high.

I love spinning wrenches and don't mind lifting a bike, or whatever it takes to do a project. I do a lot of wrenching for friends' motorcycles and once I'm knowledgeable about Spyders, I'll help my ryder friends too. It's help like you are giving me now that will help me to help myself and others.

Spyder Garage

Mike - Thanks again. I ordered a Krikit. I should have added; Do you like his method of belt aligning? I didn't look that far into the video , others have given good advice on how they do it tho …….And do you check the belt tension with it overnight cold, or does it matter? ….I have not heard of this question yet , I can't imagine there being a difference for the TEMP …… What's the torque on the rear axle nut? …. I don't know for sure so I won't GUESS ………. In a video, it looked like it wasn't very high.

I love spinning wrenches and don't mind lifting a bike, or whatever it takes to do a project. I do a lot of wrenching for friends' motorcycles and once I'm knowledgeable about Spyders, I'll help my ryder friends too. It's help like you are giving me now that will help me to help myself and others.
    ……. Thanks for the Thanks ………… I also try to share knowledge ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

The axel nut torque for 2014 and up is 166 ft pounds. I set mine at 160 and call it good.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Another suggestion..... When you take the bike in to be checked out, don't let an unknowing mechanic talk you into agreeing that the belt tension spec is 230 which is what the original and on-going BRP spec. says. BRP came out with a Technical Service Tip in 2015 that suggested the belts be adjusted to what Mike says. I don't think most shops pay enough attention to updates and just do it the way they always do it..... Good luck..... Jim
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

What I know about belt adjustment on my Victory MC has to be forgotten apparently. That belt was only to be adjusted overnight cold, for it tightens dramatically when hot. And it was adjusted using distance and not pressure. So I have synapses to wire. The owner's manual and you folks will get me there.
    I intend to do all maintenance and keep it away from the shop. When I got 'er home, I checked the air ad the shop had put 40 psi in the front tires! No wonder she was so twitchy on the short trip home.

Spyder Garage

What I know about belt adjustment on my Victory MC has to be forgotten apparently. That belt was only to be adjusted overnight cold, for it tightens dramatically when hot. And it was adjusted using distance and not pressure. So I have synapses to wire. The owner's manual and you folks will get me there.
    I intend to do all maintenance and keep it away from the shop. When I got 'er home, I checked the air ad the shop had put 40 psi in the front tires! No wonder she was so twitchy on the short trip home.
    I didn't understand the " over night cold " thing I live in Vermont and at this time of year " over night cold could easily be -30 F ….. …. My answer related to " prior to riding " as opposed to after riding Temps...….. Like they do with OIL , …. PS I only check my OIL at the end of a days riding - so it's always at the correct level the next time ….NO wasted time or GAS …...…… Mike

Spyder Garage

So Mike, you are saying the drive belt is checked at room temperature, before the ride? That's what I meant by overnight cold. Think warm riding season, not today's temp.
    BTW, I just did the twist test and could just get it to 90*.

Spyder Garage

So Mike, you are saying the drive belt is checked at room temperature, before the ride? That's what I meant by overnight cold. Think warm riding season, not today's temp.
    BTW, I just did the twist test and could just get it to 90*.
    Yes .… I have not heard of a " belt temp requirement " if there even is one …...…..and as I said earlier the TWIST test is slightly OK , but no where near accurate …. some folks are a lot stronger than others …......……. Mike

Spyder Garage

Understood Mike. I didn't consider the twist test a REAL indicator of tension, just a guideline.
    As you ride, the pulleys and the belt heat up and the belt shrinks. Well not really, it the pulleys that expand and tighten the belt.
    I'm happy to be your "friend."

Spyder Garage

Understood Mike. I didn't consider the twist test a REAL indicator of tension, just a guideline.
    As you ride, the pulleys and the belt heat up and the belt shrinks. Well not really, it the pulleys that expand and tighten the belt.
    I'm happy to be your "friend."
    On the "pulleys expand " thing …… after you take a long ride, touch your rear pulley - please let me know what you find out ….. a PM will do …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I had pretty good belt vibration after the local dealer adjusted my belt too tight. The vibration got noticeably worse after I rode for a while and everything warmed up. So, for whatever reason, there is a difference in belt tension between pre-ride and post-ride conditions. I went through what you are going through and learned how to properly adjust belt tension and alignment. The first few times doing alignment and tension will test your patience. But it gets easier with experience and understanding of how the process comes together. The help from those on this forum has been invaluable to me. Sounds like you are well on your way to solving your issue. Good luck..... Jim
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Dealers can be a strange lot---they charge through the nose to ruin your bike.

Spyder Garage

Ok, Sway bar installed, BIG diffrence, got rid of my the body role. Looked at front rims, fount one rim had 6 weights and the other had 7. Found the yellow alignment dot was nowhere near valve stem. Tire shop aligned dot with stem. One rim now has 3 weights and the other has 10?? Wanted belt checked, mechanic has aKrikiton order, didn’t trust the other tension guage he had. Tire pressure was checked before starting everything. Had new stems put in, they are rubber, and a bit longer then what was installed. I installed the FOBOs when I got home. Found tire pressure pressure at 35 pounds! Know wonder spyder was a bit twitchy. Lowered pressure to 17 front and back tire is 27! Vibration is about half of what it. Was. Now need a laser alignment!
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Just had a new belt installed 2014 RTS to BRP specs always had vibration before now 0-80 no vibration