2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Agree Idaho, now and for as far the eye can see, this is on some drawing board somewhere. As for the word 'hybrid', is that meaning some combination of gas and electric? I don't see anyway that could work on a m/c.
    Yes. This article mentions the use of the Rotax ACE engine that was used in snowmobiles.

https://newatlas.com/can-am-spyder-r...c-debut/17650/

The hybrid prototype was on display during the BRP Homecoming in 2017. It never made it past the prototype stage.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Nothing wrong with that. But if BRP asked me to be a Beta Tester of an electric, I'd jump at the chance. However, I envision an electric vehicle of any kind to be an errand runner or commuter, not a cross country tourer.
    Unless its a plugin hybrid. Then it can do both. Until the charge rates and infrastructure catches up, this would be the best bet. I would be interested in one if they built it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Agree Idaho, now and for as far the eye can see, this is on some drawing board somewhere. As for the word 'hybrid', is that meaning some combination of gas and electric? I don't see anyway that could work on a m/c.
    Why do you think it could not work on a MC? Weight and size or some other technical reason? I thing plug in hybrid makes the most practical sense of the current available options. A pure electric is not capable of a full day ride and recharge times are too long and too distant to be practical.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Why do you think it could not work on a MC? Weight and size or some other technical reason? I thing plug in hybrid makes the most practical sense of the current available options. A pure electric is not capable of a full day ride and recharge times are too long and too distant to be practical.
    That's what they said about cars and trucks. That was then. This is now and near future. Long-range all-electric vehicles are in the future. Detroit is banking on it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How do you think that our power grid will be able to handle the extra load on it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How do you think that our power grid will be able to handle the extra load on it?
    ask AOC, it better be out in 12 years or it's over.

Spyder Garage

Its not practical except for city commuters that never leave town even for cars and trucks. Will not be for many years. Build all the electric vehicles you want, once you leave home or home base, there is no infrastructure to support them. It will take many years to build that out. It will happen I agree but its not this year. Until then, plug in hybrid is the only version that makes sense other than for a city commuter that returns home every evening and needs no more than 200 miles total daily range.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tesla is actively working on their PowerStations.
    While that grid of charging stations has a long way to go: it's at least a decent start..
    If they can reach some sort of agreement with them...

AND if they can sort out any incompatibility issues...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If that is truly a concern, why are some of the world's largest corporations placing big bets on the electrified future of transportation?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Its not practical except for city commuters that never leave town even for cars and trucks. Will not be for many years. Build all the electric vehicles you want, once you leave home or home base, there is no infrastructure to support them. It will take many years to build that out. It will happen I agree but its not this year. Until then, plug in hybrid is the only version that makes sense other than for a city commuter that returns home every evening and needs no more than 200 miles total daily range.
    One more way that China is way ahead of us in infrastructure.

Nobody could imagine space travel before the Russians showed it is possible.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Technically speaking: you're wrong...
    The USSR only showed that they could orbit the earth...
    The United States had folks walk on the Moon, and has sent R.O.V.s to Mars!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    One more way that China is way ahead of us in infrastructure.
    Not that a population density of 50,000+ per square mile vs 90 per square mile would have anything to do with it!! Right?

http://statisticstimes.com/demograph...on-density.php

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Discussion of subject GOOD:

Let's not get into any tit for tat kind of arguments. And no disrespectful replies to other posters.

And now....back to the program.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Was it something that I said?

Spyder Garage

Was it something that I said?
    NO. Just a simple reminder since there is a lot of back and forth (which is good) going on.

Differing opinions are fine. It's how they are handled that sometimes causes trouble.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-01-2019 at 02:36 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    NO. Just a simple reminder since there is a lot of back and forth (which is good) going on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykpjFjsEdl4

Spyder Garage

Tesla is actively working on their PowerStations.
    While that grid of charging stations has a long way to go: it's at least a decent start..
    If they can reach some sort of agreement with them...

AND if they can sort out any incompatibility issues...
    Tesla is part of the problem. The are using charging stations that do not meet industry standards and do not use standard connectors. Nor will they licence any other brand to use them. Until the infighting is settled, its not going to happen. Can you imaging if there were ford and toyota gas stations and only those brands could fill there? Nope, lots of issues to work out and some are not technical.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup!
    If everybody could just get on the same page and do some actual co-operating: this whole issue could be solved in about ten years!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How long will it take you to cross the County; with a one-hour stop every 100 miles or so... They don't have this yet, and there's no infrastructure in place. Having said this: it will eventually get here: I'm certain of that.
    It's already here; https://www.businessinsider.com/zero...d-hand-grips-3
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

BRP locked down some "E-Bike" patents in order to freeze out the competition.
    Then they sat on the technology...
    Zero is currently building about the best of the battery-powered bikes, and have a model that can surpass 200 miles on a single charge.
    If BRP can't match or top that: I'm not interested.
    Wow Bob, 200 miles? Camille and I have Specialized brand E-Bikes (Bicycles) that will do 90 miles on a charge. You are obviously talking Motorcycles here but that is pretty good. Has that Tiffin Wayfarer arrived yet?

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    If that is truly a concern, why are some of the world's largest corporations placing big bets on the electrified future of transportation?
    Present and upcoming government mandates.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Neighbor's Tesla 3 put out 215 miles in cold wx (i.e. Maine and Quebec) and 285 miles in the summer it takes 45 minutes for a full charge at a Tesla Super charger. Thats with an 70 KW/h battery. Tons of recharging stations, just do a search on Google many more in Canada. The engines are much more reliable as is the drivetrain (in my opinion). I figure in 5-years or so they'll be practiable even for those 400 mile trips. Given the maintenance on a Spyder I take an electric model in a heartbeat.
    2018 F3S , Black

Spyder Garage

How would you charge it when you left home? You cannot use the Tesla chargers.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Doesn't the Zero utilize some sort of swap-able battery setup, meaning one is in use and one is in "storage" waiting to be used?
    I'm not an engineer, but what would it take to design some sore of regenerative system via either braking energy or a small gasoline engine that could recharge the second battery while in storage? Or the main one while being used? Is the drain on the battery being used greater that the recharge capacity of a gas engine? Or does that defeat the entire purpose?
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic