Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I think a plug-in hybrid Spyder would be a neat thing. Just think, you can park in those real close in spaces at the stores, plug in the cable, even if you don't need a charge, and take the short walk to the door. Just as good as using recently passed Granny's handicap placard.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I think a plug-in hybrid Spyder would be a neat thing. Just think, you can park in those real close in spaces at the stores, plug in the cable, even if you don't need a charge, and take the short walk to the door. Just as good as using recently passed Granny's handicap placard.
    WOW - your admitting using your ( you say " passed " I think that means Deceased ) " Granny's " handi-capped placard ...….sorry but imho I think that's an insult to every physically challenged person on this Forum ( and any other forum ) ……….. PS, you better hope no one in law enforcement in your area is reading about this …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Lighten up Mike, I was joking. My granny passed away before there were handicap placards and I would NEVER advocate doing that anyway. I should have put a smiley face at the end of the post for those who failed to see the humor. My mistake tho...I tend to make my jokes sound like I'm telling a real story, until the punchline comes on. No insult intended.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Let's keep this on topic and discuss the actual potential of the electric version of the Spyder. If it continues posts may be deleted by moderators.
    Last edited by dpetrick; 02-27-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

OK then....Just read my first sentence and ignore the rest. I'm new here and haven't realized how serious you folks are. I'll stifle my humor. Sorry.

Spyder Garage

OK then....Just read my first sentence and ignore the rest. I'm new here and haven't realized how serious you folks are. I'll stifle my humor. Sorry.
    You are okay so far. The post was reported to moderators earlier. Just doing our oversite job. Now...back to the subject.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It does sound like BRP is for real this time. Will be interesting to see what they really do come up with.

Of course...I am a fuddy duddy with the "wait and see" attitude.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It does sound like BRP is for real this time. Will be interesting to see what they really do come up with. Of course...I am a fuddy duddy with the "wait and see" attitude.
    Nothing wrong with that. But if BRP asked me to be a Beta Tester of an electric, I'd jump at the chance. However, I envision an electric vehicle of any kind to be an errand runner or commuter, not a cross country tourer.

Spyder Garage

Nothing wrong with that. But if BRP asked me to be a Beta Tester of an electric, I'd jump at the chance. However, I envision an electric vehicle of any kind to be an errand runner or commuter, not a cross country tourer.
    And me too on a free Beta Test unit. But...that is not going to happen here--even though it should. (Alaska)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lighten up Mike, I was joking. My granny passed away before there were handicap placards and I would NEVER advocate doing that anyway. I should have put a smiley face at the end of the post for those who failed to see the humor. My mistake tho...I tend to make my jokes sound like I'm telling a real story, until the punchline comes on. No insult intended.
    I have the same problem on this forum. Subtle humor often doesn't work out the way you intend it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I have the same problem on this forum. Subtle humor often doesn't work out the way you intend it.
    Me too, sometimes.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    And me too on a free Beta Test unit. But...that is not going to happen here--even though it should. (Alaska)
    Don't sell yourself short...they might want to do cold weather testing. Batteries don't put out as much in the cold.

Spyder Garage

Be great if can charge on simple 110AC extension cord ryde to work; charge while there, save even more actually met a fella on the Onewheel XR that does just that good for him FYI the one wheel is eclectic skate board XR is like 19miles. He was holding a steady 15mph when I asked to pull over & tell me about his "toy" aside from that advances in solar will make adequate size panels for many things

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I would miss the roar of the gasoline motor.
    Kenn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP locked down some "E-Bike" patents in order to freeze out the competition.
    Then they sat on the technology...
    Zero is currently building about the best of the battery-powered bikes, and have a model that can surpass 200 miles on a single charge.
    If BRP can't match or top that: I'm not interested.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    I would miss the roar of the gasoline motor.
    Kenn
    Put playing cards in the spokes. That worked when you were kid on a bicycle.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    BRP locked down some "E-Bike" patents in order to freeze out the competition.
    Then they sat on the technology...
    Zero is currently building about the best of the battery-powered bikes, and have a model that can surpass 200 miles on a single charge.
    If BRP can't match or top that: I'm not interested.
    200 miles sounds great; that's my range for a tank of gas. BUT... how long does their re-charge take, compared to refilling a gas tank?
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    200 miles sounds great; that's my range for a tank of gas. BUT... how long does their re-charge take, compared to refilling a gas tank?
    At least one to one and a half hours but still not fully charged. You will have to really have to go to the bathroom or eat the footlong instead of the 6 inch.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Until there's an established infrastructure that allows for swapping out standardized batteries for fresh ones: these critters will be useful for short trips around Town, and the odd 100 mile round trip to nowhere...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Until there's an established infrastructure that allows for swapping out standardized batteries for fresh ones: these critters will be useful for short trips around Town, and the odd 100 mile round trip to nowhere...
    Not if they have fast recharge times, like 1 hour or less. Charge it up while taking a lunch break. Problem solved. Can go cross-country that way.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How long will it take you to cross the County; with a one-hour stop every 100 miles or so...
    They don't have this yet, and there's no infrastructure in place.

Having said this: it will eventually get here: I'm certain of that.
    But for now: I'll take a gas engine, and cover over 600 miles a day...

"Not if they have fast recharge times, like 1 hour or less. Charge it up while taking a lunch break. Problem solved. Can go cross-country that way."

We have a saying about stuff like this:
    "Try wishing in one hand, and crapping in the other. See which on fills up first."

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Don't get too excited folks. BRP has been working on a hybrid, then electric, version of the Spyder since 2011, and it ain't here yet.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Can-Am-Hybrid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rkh6Vv3t-0

https://newatlas.com/plug-in-hybrid-...e-wheel/17446/

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Every man and his dog is working on or is about to release an ev of some sort.It's almost as if it's a statement by the manufacturers of their engineering and green credibility yet so far consumers haven't swallowed the kool-aid to any great extent.
    Tesla Roadster has it all but at $250K if you work out how much of the planets resources has to be consumed to cough up that sort of money in the first place it turns out it is about a green as the surface of Mars.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agree Idaho, now and for as far the eye can see, this is on some drawing board somewhere. As for the word 'hybrid', is that meaning some combination of gas and electric? I don't see anyway that could work on a m/c.