Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    One of the issues with the EV powered sleds and bikes is that of being even more stealth to the wildlife. Like, the deer do not hear you until the very last moment, and smacking one of them at speed is usually not a good scenario. I've done it (hit deer) five times in over 300,000 miles on sleds and Spyders, last one was ugly. And yes, I've been on the old green hybrid Spyder. I'll find a photo here somewhere.....
    I know HD's LiveWire produces an artificial sound so you don't sneak up the critters whether that be four paws or four wheels.

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    I know HD's LiveWire produces an artificial sound so you don't sneak up the critters whether that be four paws or four wheels.
    A playing card in the spokes?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I've always thought there was a great opportunity here - sound effects for EVs. I mean think about it - at that point you could make it sound like anything. Want your Prius to sound like a top fuel dragster? A high revving indy car? Or maybe the Jetson's car? How about a train engine? Imagine sitting at the light on your E-Bike that sounds like a Freightliner. Of course they don't have to sound like vehicles at all, they could sound like animals, music, pretty much anything.

Shouldn't be be hard to connect the sounds to the speed sensors so it's coordinated with the speed of the vehicle.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I gotta be totally honest here: I work for a certain material handling equipment company in Upstate NY and we have lithium batteries for our trucks that can charge from a 120v wall socket. These batteries can last for more than 12 hours pulling a 5000 lb forklift around and lifting thousands of pounds of freight. These batteries are designed to charge in less than 3 hours even though they are 5-6 times larger than a battery that could fit in a spyder. While they are larger, the battery technology could easily provide a long range option for a machine that weighs less than 1000lbs. The frame on these machines allows for a much larger battery than is reasonable on 2 wheels and would easily allow the machine to more than double the range of the HD Live Wire. If they really want to be smart about it, they should put it in The old RS body that is much more aerodynamic and flows more cool air over the battery. That way they could have a "performance bike" back in the lineup that will attract sportbike (read: younger) riders.
    It would be a great next step for younger riders whom have purchased the Ryker and are looking for a higher performance machine. I have had my Ryker rally since march of last year and have ridden it at least once a month since I picked it up. It is a fun machine for dirt roads, and the crappy roads here in NY and the torque is very impressive. I have found that it is not a highway cruiser, but I have also figured out how to do "donuts" with it. It is a great "gateway drug" to the world of roadsters and I may even get a second one so that my wife and I can go on adventures together. I think BRP needs to use the electric as a performance option for young Ryker riders who are ready to spend more but want a sport bike more than a cruiser.
    Just sayin.............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    OK then....Just read my first sentence and ignore the rest. I'm new here and haven't realized how serious you folks are. I'll stifle my humor. Sorry.
    you are fine...I got the humor...some around here are a little too wound up most of the time. (I put a smiley
    face incase)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Agree Idaho, now and for as far the eye can see, this is on some drawing board somewhere. As for the word 'hybrid', is that meaning some combination of gas and electric? I don't see anyway that could work on a m/c.
    If you haven't owned one before, a "hybrid" vehicle means it has both electric and gas power. I have a Ford Fusion Energi, which is considered a PHEV - Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle - which runs around town for about 25 miles on battery power, then the gas engine takes over if I need to go farther. When you stop, you can plug it in for a fast charge if a charging station is available or plug it into 110v AC at home. On 110, a full recharge takes about 6 hours. I run about 90% on battery for my purposes, but I still want a gas engine so I'm not stuck somewhere waiting for a charger, like Tesla.

I don't see why a similar system would not work on a motorcycle, although it would likely not have the same power output as a full-time gas engine. On a Spyder chassis, I think a PHEV would be more beneficial that a full electric (battery only) powertrain. Like my Ford, it would probably have a CVT rather than today's SM or SE transmission. Electric motors are a good power source if you have sufficient battery reserve. One of their advantages is they make maximum torque at zero RPM, but they're not a panacea for long-distance driving.

Sorry, didn't mean to get on a soapbox, but with a short commute an electric vehicle makes sense.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Sorry guys, but you're digging up posts that are more than a year old here!

Otter28169's post #79 was the first since April last year, so while I reckon the ideal moment to show you got the humour or to jump on the soapbox is well past.... it's still sorta OK, just so long as you realise you're doing a bit of archeology here, rather than posting a snappy comeback!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was gonna do a response, but Peter is right, this is very old news.

Spyder Garage

I was gonna do a response, but Peter is right, this is very old news.
    And we STILL haven't seen any further signs of an electric Spyder (or Ryker?!) actually hitting the streets??

But it IS perfectly OK to continue the discussion started in an older thread, just so long as you realise it's old, and don't necessarily expect people who posted something waay back to respond immediately..... or that the discussion starter raised back then is still actually current?!

PS: the original post in this thread refers to an article from Feb 2019, that states fairly early in the piece that BRP have been 'teasing us' with the supposedly imminent release of a PHEV since early 2011....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-12-2020 at 06:02 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

But you have to admit, since we have been going threw ( THESE TRYING TIMES) with this virus crap people are BORED to tears, and have been going far into the thread files! We all need to get out and take a good ride, stop at some old watering holes and have some fun again!! If I never hear those words again, trying times, I word really love not to!!! Chin up it will end!! Ride on!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK, my opinion one more time, I'm not a fan of pure EV except for short runs or just commercial delivery vehicles where the battery lasts until the lt delivery of the day. Then, energy is still be used somewhere to charge this battery, therefor some carbon footprint, maybe not as much as a gasoline engine. What ever happened to LNG, which had immediate promise and worked? The Prius which started out strong, a pure hybrid which started out strong in 2002 I think, now sales have plummeted 'caus folks want the bug vans, SUVs, Crossovers, or whatever the term is now. Not selling the Pruis here, but I've owned one since 2003, last one which got wrecked was a 70 mpg vehicle, my 2019 gets 60 mpg on the interstate at 65/70 mph. Why aren't the tree huggers promoting this vehicle? I'm anxious to see where HD Live Wire goes from here, i think I already know.
    Just my opinion fellow Spyder riders, everyone seems to have one.

Spyder Garage

OK, my opinion one more time, I'm not a fan of pure EV except for short runs or just commercial delivery vehicles where the battery lasts until the lt delivery of the day. Then, energy is still be used somewhere to charge this battery, therefor some carbon footprint, maybe not as much as a gasoline engine. What ever happened to LNG, which had immediate promise and worked? The Prius which started out strong, a pure hybrid which started out strong in 2002 I think, now sales have plummeted 'caus folks want the bug vans, SUVs, Crossovers, or whatever the term is now. Not selling the Pruis here, but I've owned one since 2003, last one which got wrecked was a 70 mpg vehicle, my 2019 gets 60 mpg on the interstate at 65/70 mph. Why aren't the tree huggers promoting this vehicle? I'm anxious to see where HD Live Wire goes from here, i think I already know.
    Just my opinion fellow Spyder riders, everyone seems to have one.
    Easy my friend!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah I know, too many words, one of my character flaws, but the good news is, I'm done.

Spyder Garage

The subject resurfaces every couple years or so. I have commented a few times over the years, including my April Fools day posting about the subject, complete with pictures from BRP. That got a rise from many.

The issues, IMO, are still two big questions. Range and cost. Until they get them solved, most riders are not going to jump in. Currently the range is less than 200 miles on most offerings. If they were to build what we on SL like, (tourer with amenities), I am still guessing $40K. That is way out of my range.

Still liking my one year old (bought new) F3L. It has everything I want and need.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Honda has had a hybrid car for several years now. They haven't progressed past the 2015 Neowing concept hybrid motorcycle. That ought to tell us something!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

If an electric version of the spyder comes out and looks like it does in the picture, then I'd buy one.

Spyder Garage

Nothing wrong with that. But if BRP asked me to be a Beta Tester of an electric, I'd jump at the chance. However, I envision an electric vehicle of any kind to be an errand runner or commuter, not a cross country tourer.
    Depends on whether it's entirely electric (e.g. Tesla) or a plug-in hybrid like my Ford Fusion Energi. I have now owned three PHEVs (Ford CMax Energi and Fusion Energi, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid) and I prefer them over gas-only cars. With 20-30 miles range on battery, most errands and trips around town can be completed without ever starting the gas engine. Plug in overnight on 110v and start over tomorrow. The Fusion has only burned through a half-dozen tanks of gas in over 5500 miles.

So while I can't see myself in a full electric (like the Harley LiveWire - not to mention the stratospheric price) I do think a PHEV Spyder could be a good choice if you mostly ride close to home. For touring, both gas and PHEV make the cut since either way you have a gas engine to run.

Let's see what BRP comes up with and at what price; I'm at least interested.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Didn't pay attention to the dates or even realize I'd already replied to this thread months ago.

Still, I am a fan of PHEVs - at least as new cars - as I'm sure you can tell. Vehicles, particularly classics, that came equipped with gas engines (e.g. 60s/70s muscle cars or my 1991 HD Sturgis) deserve to stay original.

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    It does sound like BRP is for real this time. Will be interesting to see what they really do come up with.

Of course...I am a fuddy duddy with the "wait and see" attitude.
    Speaking of wait and see, HD just announced they are distancing themselves from the Livewire.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think a plug-in hybrid Spyder would be a neat thing. Just think, you can park in those real close in spaces at the stores, plug in the cable, even if you don't need a charge, and take the short walk to the door. Just as good as using recently passed Granny's handicap placard.
    SOUNDS GOOD, except you have to pay to plug in your GREEN vehicle....

Spyder Garage

How much fossil fuels does it take to charge up that electric spider. The electricity does not come out of the air. That should work great in Texas.