Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Where to park your Spyder when out in public???

Where do you park your Spyder when at the grocery store, or convenient store so people see it B4 running into it? Just asking cause I've had my new Phantom for 2 weeks and the other day a lady backed into it and said she did not see it because of the low profile. She was driving a mini van I have noticed that the profile is low for trucks and vans to see. Yeah I was mad, just about went nuts(well I did), and I will be taking it to shop for a check-up just to make sure nothing is bent or outta wack. Thanks for your replies.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I will usually try and park away from the maddening rush - and walk in. If a space with a curb is available I grap it and I always park forward in the parking space so that the nose is visible - my biggest fear is someone not seeing the and running over it. I always back in so the nose is facing out. So far so good will be 1 yr with my next week.
    Last edited by FANG; 06-18-2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Try to leave the Spyder center of the spot and far enough out that it can be seen easily. I usually back mine in so it is easier to leave.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I carry 6 of the orange cones to place around it.

(I crack myself up!)

Spyder Garage

I park it in front of the store like I own the place. I never use a parking space.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I park it in front of the store like I own the place. I never use a parking space.

I do this a lot too if I can. I like to park in those little spaces and nooks where cars can't get. I've even parked on the sidewalk.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

could always take two spaces, but i like Lamonsters idea better.. haha

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Strategic Parking

Quote Originally Posted by painterman View Post
    Where do you park your Spyder when at the grocery store, or convenient store so people see it B4 running into it? Just asking cause I've had my new Phantom for 2 weeks and the other day a lady backed into it and said she did not see it because of the low profile. She was driving a mini van I have noticed that the profile is low for trucks and vans to see. Yeah I was mad, just about went nuts(well I did), and I will be taking it to shop for a check-up just to make sure nothing is bent or outta wack. Thanks for your replies.
    Ah, one of my favourite topics. Strategic parking. How to protect your baby from the legions of lower life forms who hold a driver's license with no real clue as to how to drive.
    Where there is space available, I generally do as Lamont suggests. With my motorcycles, I always parked near the bicycle rack outside stores, since these are generally located on the sidewalk away from the teeming masses of cage operators. If that is not possible, I will park my Spyder at the far end of the parking lot, in a spot where even the most brain-dead driver would have to work really hard to hit it. I don't care if this means I have to walk half a mile to get to the store. It is worth it for the peace of mind.
    I don't blame you for going nuts. I would have too! Hope it checks out okay.
    Bruce

Spyder Garage

Interesting topic - never gave it too much thought - especially about the low profile of the Spyder not being seen - good thing to think about!

I'm always concerned about car doors opening and hitting the Spyder - so I'll make sure I'm not too close on either side. Quite often I will park right between two cars - figure that way they would get hit before I would !

Of course I'm typically only in a store for a few minutes. At the bars I frequent they have specific MC parking that I use.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

It seems there is always a homeless or ??? around the shopping area's, so I tell him to keep peeps, cars away from the spyder, and upon my return give him a tip..

Works some of the time.. really depends how long I am in the store..

Spyder Garage

Default I try never go to store will any of my bikes

I tend to never take my bikes any where I have to park near cars, or dumb people that do not respect others property.

I broke this rule one time three years ago with my Fatboy parking it at the park, and then spent 10 minutes polish/rubbing the burnt flesh of a estimated four year old boy's hand print/branding off my pipes.

I felt sorry for the little kid for two seconds till the Kid 'low life mother opened her mouth yelling at me. Tempers got a little wild , and she got a boot kick to the passenger door of her car.

Two people learned that day not to mess with people, and their property.
    1. The Mother 2. The son.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ican see it now you having the trailor hook up and they crawl in it for a nice nap. Then youn come out wondering where the heck he go? Finially you get home he sees you door open first bed too soft second too hard and the third bed just right! It could. Happen ya know. Stanger thing have had happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    It seems there is always a homeless or ??? around the shopping area's, so I tell him to keep peeps, cars away from the spyder, and upon my return give him a tip..

Works some of the time.. really depends how long I am in the store..

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

OMG - People in minivans have so many freakin excuses!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Beware the Dreaded Minivan Driver!

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I park in the back of the Wal-Mart parking lot.
    Or furthest from the Mall in their lot.
    At Pop Eyes, KFC or Wendys, I park right in front of the windows.
    Try never to park on the street.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    That reminds me of driving all over the country with my daughter. We used to complain about minivans and old people in Buicks. One day my daughter said look mom it's a Minivan and it's a Buick...LOL
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

I guess I must be awfully lucky. I am one of what seems like the few who never backs into a parking space with any vehicle...car, truck, van, motorcycle, Spyder. With the Spyder I drive into teh space and drive up about one foot passed the the rear of the car on either side of me. With the GIVI bags and BRP back rest assembly, the back end is higher than the front (more profile). A few weeks ago was the only time someone parked too close to me. Some trashy, littered, dirty PT Crusier parked a good foot into my space. My left front tire was about 6 inches from theirs. I thought of several nice things I wanted to do, but was just thankful the Spyder wasn't touched. I guess no matter what we drive, we are at the mercy of others' carelessness no matter where we go.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    I carry 6 of the orange cones to place around it.

(I crack myself up!)

Funny you should say this! I'm a season ticket holder to our local WHL hockey team, I brought the Spyder down for the 1st game and the guys there that run the parking lot werent sure where to put me, after the 1st game every other game I went too I would pull up and spot #1 would be coned off and the lot attendents would wave me over...my spot. Never drove the car/truck to a game since.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    That reminds me of driving all over the country with my daughter. We used to complain about minivans and old people in Buicks. One day my daughter said look mom it's a Minivan and it's a Buick...LOL
    Boy you got that right! We still complain about them!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I never leave it alone.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Had an incident in the New Orleans French Quarter at Christmas time. Parked Spyder in the "valet only" garage at a 5 star hotel in a spot reserved for security next to a security guards truck...can you guess what happened??!

Spyder got run over, I was sorry that I had locked the steering . Cost my insurance $2000.00. Wasn't worth my time to fight with the hotel(lot run by independant contractor). I let my ins. take the hit and tried to injoy my vacation.

Moral of the story...SH#T HAPPENS!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wbbrn1952 View Post
    I will usually try and park away from the maddening rush - and walk in. If a space with a curb is available I grap it and I always park forward in the parking space so that the nose is visible - my biggest fear is someone not seeing the and running over it. I always back in so the nose is facing out. So far so good will be 1 yr with my next week.
    good idea

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    on the sidewalk?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I usually just park it in the closest handicap space if the sidewalk is not accessible. If none of those are available i leave the store and go somewhere else. Same as i would in the Cage. But i usually stay away from most Big box stores LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rules #1 and #2 apply.
    1: if you are on a motorcycle, everyone in a cage is trying to hit you.
    2: they are good at it.

"Park like you own the store", even if it's Home Depot or Wally World. The worst they can do is ask you to leave. Besides I've had great conversations with folks passing by.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap