Thread: Map Apps

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Map Apps

Now that there are several mapping apps available for BRP connect, I am interested in collecting information from others as too which app you prefer. Do these apps allow you to set maps up on a computer and upload to the app on your phone? Whatever experience you have will be helpful. Thanks!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

The Map app that I use the most is Google Maps, seems I have the best results from it.

Spyder Garage

Most of the time I use the WAZE app (https://www.waze.com/). It gives alerts about accidents, vehicles on roadside, police, items on roadway, etc. It works with

Microsoft Windows, Androids, and Apple, but I don't know if it is compatible with BRP Connect. BRP Customer Service might answer that for you. I've also used the

free version of MyRoute app to set up routes, but a paid subscription is needed in order to upload a route to your phone.
    "One that never made a mistake, has never accomplished anything"

Spyder Garage

I have used Waze, Google Maps, Apple maps and a few other free APPS. The problem is that they are all cellular based. I was in Virginia last summer about 40 miles from Richmond on a 4 lane highway and none of these Apps would work. Ended up driving about 20 miles out of the way before I could get back on track. I bit the bullet and bought Genius Maps which is not cellular based. I downloaded the maps I need to travel and it works great.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information on Genius maps. Anybody else using map apps that are compatible with the BRP connect app on the 2018 and 2019 SPYDERS?
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like Sygic better than Genius as it's easier to create routes. I believe Genius has improved so you can create routes like in Google Maps. Sygic does it as well. Sygic is slightly cheaper. If you have your headset connected then the sound will pipe to it but if not then any voiced directions will sound extremely loud through the external speakers. Other than muting the directions/sounds, there is no way to adjust the volume. So far I haven't figured how to darken the screen for nighttime, and it is bright. I stopped making routes on my laptop years ago and learned how to do it on the device. smartphones are much easier than the Garmin device. It's not hard, just takes practice.

Would love to see Waze, Garmin and some other apps. Guess we'll have to wait. I believe the reason we don't have Waze is it takes a lot of data and many might not have unlimited data. TO bad we can't download map sections but its much more than just a GPS app.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Flamewinger, I tried Sygic, works okay but I couldn't hear the voice. The volume was up on my phone but was muted on my trike, is that the reason why I couldn't hear it? New to this and maybe a dumb question.
    Joe.
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Lamonster Bright Tail Lighter,
    Lamonster H4 LED Headlights,
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights,
    Lamonster Fog Light Ring Combo,
    Rox Riser
    Lamonster Driver Back Rest,
    Lamonster Frame Mount Drink Holder.
    Lamonster 15" Freedom Shield Wind Shield
    ******* USA flag
    Freecom 2 head sets
    Mirror Wedgies by Squared Away
    Motorcycle Dave's Tachform phone cradle
    Spyderpops Turnsignal LEDs
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    Spyderpops front fender LEDs by Show Chrome
    Motorcycle Dave's Gel seat insert
    2018 F3L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Make sure the dash software is 20.8. Make sure the phone volume is up. Make sure the app volume is up. Check the 2019 limited opwerators manual for better instructions. http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...0-5cf5dad96c7e
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
    Flamewinger, I tried Sygic, works okay but I couldn't hear the voice. The volume was up on my phone but was muted on my trike, is that the reason why I couldn't hear it? New to this and maybe a dumb question.
    Joe.
    Try going back to the radio (audio) menu when you know directions are given. Just push up on the volume. I had the same problem, apparently the radio and navigation have different volume.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply's.
    Joe
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Lamonster Bright Tail Lighter,
    Lamonster H4 LED Headlights,
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights,
    Lamonster Fog Light Ring Combo,
    Rox Riser
    Lamonster Driver Back Rest,
    Lamonster Frame Mount Drink Holder.
    Lamonster 15" Freedom Shield Wind Shield
    ******* USA flag
    Freecom 2 head sets
    Mirror Wedgies by Squared Away
    Motorcycle Dave's Tachform phone cradle
    Spyderpops Turnsignal LEDs
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    Spyderpops front fender LEDs by Show Chrome
    Motorcycle Dave's Gel seat insert
    2018 F3L , Blue

Spyder Garage

WAZE
    Constantly updated with latest traffic info and redirects accordingly.
    Easy to use, and allows you to choose from several routes.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    WAZE
    Constantly updated with latest traffic info and redirects accordingly.
    Easy to use, and allows you to choose from several routes.

AJ
    Problem is Waze doesn't work with BRP Connect (yet). The two GPS apps do have traffic but not as good as Garmin, TomTom or Waze.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Garmin seems to have quite a reputation as they've been around a long time.

Genius Maps uses the same database as Garmin. Not willing to plunk down $500 plus for minor differences and the whole external mount thing.

Spyder Garage

I just got back from a trip up north and used Genius maps for the trip home. It automatically routed me around traffic in Nashville, but coming through Atlanta, it wanted me to exit on a non existent road to avoid traffic. Other than this one glitch it worked pretty well, at least for interstate travel. Haven't had a chance to try it out on any local roads yet. It is much easier to select your route on your phone before connecting to the Spyder, rather than trying to type with the handlebar control ( 2019 F3 Limited).
    2019 F3 Limited , Big Bike Parts full size pedal Black Metallic