Spyder Garage

Default F3-T Heated Passenger Grips (?)

Does the F3-T have heated passenger grips, and if not are there any options? I'm thinking ahead to my next Spyder, and this is key for my wife. Thanks in advance for any info or advice.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

No heated grips. You have to get the limited. Then you get both driver and passenger heated grips. Plus floorboards, trunk ect.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Got it - that's exactly what I needed to know. I had intended to get the Limited, anyway.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).

Spyder Garage

Your dealer can add the same heated grips for the driver the Limited has on the T. That's what I had done.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Heated grips can easily be added to an F3-T. The wiring is there under the blank switch cover.
    2017 F3-T SM6, Intense Pearl Red, SpyderPops Run/Turn/Brake, Baja Ron Sway Bar and Skid Plate, 21 Inch Tinted F4, Signature Light, Tricled LED Headlights Yokohoma S-Drive, Ultimate Tall Boy.

Spyder Garage

How much do you think that would cost for a DIY?
    Thanks Dave
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

There are BRP heated grips on ebay for $210
    2017 F3-T SM6, Intense Pearl Red, SpyderPops Run/Turn/Brake, Baja Ron Sway Bar and Skid Plate, 21 Inch Tinted F4, Signature Light, Tricled LED Headlights Yokohoma S-Drive, Ultimate Tall Boy.

Spyder Garage

Here are some comments from a 2017 F3L owner, who rydes two-up with wifey about 80% of time. Mostly day trips, no extended touring. Back country roads, occasionally in the hills; mostly out finding a new bistro for lunch, sometimes shopping.

Firstly, I read your location as Los Angeles; are you really going to need heated grips? We spend half our lives in FL, and never turn the heat on; only rarely use it in spring/fall back in Canada. Nice feature, but not an absolute necessity IMHO/experience.

Secondly, I see you are switching from an RT to either an F3T or F3L. I understand the dilemma of choosing one over the other. Before I did my test rides, I really thought I was going to be buying the RTL. Considerations of comfort/safety for the wife were paramount. The decision was easy for me when I found that my hips would not tolerate sitting on the RT - almost instant cramping and pain; was very afraid I wouldn't be able to move my right foot to apply brakes. We test rode both models anyway. Happy was I when wifey said she preferred the F3L over the RTL; made for happy unanimity. In your case, I assume your wife is already used to the back seat of the RT - backrest support/top case; maybe you have arm rests, maybe not. If she is used to/comfortable on the RTL, then your closest comparison for riding comfort features is going to be the F3L. It has the nice added comfort features that the F3T doesn't have - integrated back rest/top case, passenger floorboards, auto-adjusting rear shock, heated passenger grips. Yes, you can spend less, get an F3T without the added 'L' package, then pick and choose the extra bits that you really want. Going with the 'L' to begin with is simply a lot more convenient. That was a deciding factor for us. Buy the bike, hop on and ryde!!

However, here's a wrinkle... after going with the F3L, I decided in the interest of my wife's comfort and safety to add passenger arm rests. These are not heated (at least the BRP version are not); just expensive. In the long run, we got the heated grips all-round by going F3L, but then wound up sacrificing those heated passenger grips anyway, when I switched to arm rests. So, you might think about that issue if you are picturing your wife using/wanting arm rests. If anyone has an F3T and wants to add a pair of OEM BRP heated passenger grips, I have them, mint, unused, and might consider selling; they're just sitting in a box getting dusty.

Before you make any decision, take test rides on the different models, with and without various features if you can. Some guys seem to like the F3T over the F3L because of the larger sprocket (more teeth), which supposedly gives more take-off power/speed. All I can say after two years is that my F3L is plenty fast for me and the missus. It will go much faster than I will ever ride it (and I've never been called 'pokey'), and not many others get away from stop lights as quickly as we do; we're not racing, and don't really give a damn if they do move quicker or pass us anyway.

If you do choose F3L, you will find that rear top case to be a fabulous blessing. So handy to store helmets, stash groceries, or take along extra gear when touring. And the self-adjusting ride feature, along with passenger floorboards has really added to our overall comfort. Really nice package if your wallet can handle.

The decision is yours; if these reflections from our experience help, then we're happy to have offered.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Here are some comments from a 2017 F3L owner, who rydes two-up with wifey about 80% of time. Mostly day trips, no extended touring. Back country roads, occasionally in the hills; mostly out finding a new bistro for lunch, sometimes shopping.

Firstly, I read your location as Los Angeles; are you really going to need heated grips? We spend half our lives in FL, and never turn the heat on; only rarely use it in spring/fall back in Canada. Nice feature, but not an absolute necessity IMHO/experience.

Secondly, I see you are switching from an RT to either an F3T or F3L. I understand the dilemma of choosing one over the other. Before I did my test rides, I really thought I was going to be buying the RTL. Considerations of comfort/safety for the wife were paramount. The decision was easy for me when I found that my hips would not tolerate sitting on the RT - almost instant cramping and pain; was very afraid I wouldn't be able to move my right foot to apply brakes. We test rode both models anyway. Happy was I when wifey said she preferred the F3L over the RTL; made for happy unanimity. In your case, I assume your wife is already used to the back seat of the RT - backrest support/top case; maybe you have arm rests, maybe not. If she is used to/comfortable on the RTL, then your closest comparison for riding comfort features is going to be the F3L. It has the nice added comfort features that the F3T doesn't have - integrated back rest/top case, passenger floorboards, auto-adjusting rear shock, heated passenger grips. Yes, you can spend less, get an F3T without the added 'L' package, then pick and choose the extra bits that you really want. Going with the 'L' to begin with is simply a lot more convenient. That was a deciding factor for us. Buy the bike, hop on and ryde!!

However, here's a wrinkle... after going with the F3L, I decided in the interest of my wife's comfort and safety to add passenger arm rests. These are not heated (at least the BRP version are not); just expensive. In the long run, we got the heated grips all-round by going F3L, but then wound up sacrificing those heated passenger grips anyway, when I switched to arm rests. So, you might think about that issue if you are picturing your wife using/wanting arm rests. If anyone has an F3T and wants to add a pair of OEM BRP heated passenger grips, I have them, mint, unused, and might consider selling; they're just sitting in a box getting dusty.

Before you make any decision, take test rides on the different models, with and without various features if you can. Some guys seem to like the F3T over the F3L because of the larger sprocket (more teeth), which supposedly gives more take-off power/speed. All I can say after two years is that my F3L is plenty fast for me and the missus. It will go much faster than I will ever ride it (and I've never been called 'pokey'), and not many others get away from stop lights as quickly as we do; we're not racing, and don't really give a damn if they do move quicker or pass us anyway.

If you do choose F3L, you will find that rear top case to be a fabulous blessing. So handy to store helmets, stash groceries, or take along extra gear when touring. And the self-adjusting ride feature, along with passenger floorboards has really added to our overall comfort. Really nice package if your wallet can handle.

The decision is yours; if these reflections from our experience help, then we're happy to have offered.
    This is very helpful, thank you. The armrests are not an issue and we tend to ride in the mountains so heated grips will be important to her. I didn't realize there were any performance differences. I've test ridden a standard F3 and own an RT, and simply assumed all F3's have the same basic ride. In terms of that power (that I really felt in the F3), if the RT is at a "1" and the standard F3 is at a "10", where would you put the F3L?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    ....... I didn't realize there were any performance differences. I've test ridden a standard F3 and own an RT, and simply assumed all F3's have the same basic ride. In terms of that power (that I really felt in the F3), if the RT is at a "1" and the standard F3 is at a "10", where would you put the F3L?
    I really can't give you a helpful answer as I have really only ridden my F3L to any extent, and an RTL briefly when 'test' riding. Haven't been on a base F3 or an F3T. Others here have more comparative experience. The 'T' has a larger sprocket (more teeth), and therefore has more 'grunt' power, as I understand it. The F3L has the same rear sprocket as the RTL, and thus should give much the same power from the 1330 engine, except for the weight differential and other ride characteristics. I believe you'll find the F3L to be a sportier, more nimble ride than the RTL. We love our machine; it handles well, corners flat - you can really 'carve' tight corners. I find the F3L has plenty of acceleration, and lots of speed. I have only ever pushed it up into the 85-90 mph range briefly, with two-up, and for slightly longer periods when solo on the thruway and wanting to get past/away from other heavy traffic or trucks. I know it has lots left, but I have no desire to find out its limits. Mostly, we probably average only 50 mph on country rides. And, I really don't care if others can blast away from a dead stop faster than we do. I don't do burnouts; not out to impress anyone or show off. Just want to feel the breeze and enjoy the views of a nice ride, then return safely to the barn, and relax. In earlier times I drove sports cars, often way too fast. Paid the price, and was lucky to walk away when, by rights, I might have been driven away in a hearse. I cheated the Reaper a couple of times, nearly killed a friend; don't feel like pushing my luck any further. I no longer feel any need to find out where 'the edge' is, or how close I can get to it.

But, to say where the F3L is at, between "1" and "10"....... I'd put it at "FUN". Do test rides comparing the "L" and the "T"; you might find the T is even MORE FUN. Then you can, perhaps, spend a little less and simply add on the heated grips, and choose whether or not your travel requirements really mandate the other features that make up the difference between the two. Be sure to compare the seating quality, and rear suspension capabilities; I think you'll find there are some subtle differences. And whether you want pegs or floorboards, or actually need the top case.

Good luck. Whichever way you go, it will be an exciting adventure.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Heated grips for about $10 and you can mount the same deal on the rear grab bars for the spouseling. >CLICK ME<

to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I've followed you for years on VRCC, nice to see you on a Spyder.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R