Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spyder key

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Ilco X270 keyblank worked very well for pre-2014 bikes.
    When BRP changed to the newer, tougher to crack DESS: they made a small dimensional change to the key
    (Besides changing to a much more "interesting" chip...)
    If you compare your key VERY closely to the "X": make your own decision as to it's usefulness.

I found them to be a "Hit & Miss" affair.
    It worked for the luggage locks; not for the ignition...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The Ilco X270 keyblank worked very well for pre-2014 bikes.
    When BRP changed to the newer, tougher to crack DESS: they made a small dimensional change to the key
    (Besides changing to a much more "interesting" chip...)
    If you compare your key VERY closely to the "X": make your own decision as to it's usefulness.

I found them to be a "Hit & Miss" affair.
    It worked for the luggage locks; not for the ignition...
    I just checked my 2014 Spyder key vs. my cut X270 vs. a blank uncut X270. I don't see any dimensional differences at all between the Ilco and the Spyder keys. My X270 works good in both the ignition and trunk lock. Maybe there was a variation in the manufacture of the X270s that caused some lots to be different from the norm? I think the problem of X270 cut keys not working is more likely a key cutting issue rather than a key blank issue. Not every person who cuts keys gets it right the first time, especially folks in hardware stores and such who don't do it full time for a living.

When I bought my blanks I got a package of ten. I cut 2 for the 2013 RT I had and 2 for the RT I have now. I sold 4 of them to a couple of SL members and got no feedback about any problems with them. I would say if someone wants a non-chip key get and cut the Ilco X270. The chances of having a problem are pretty unlikely.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Ordered one of these off ebay on the 22nd and arrived today. $13/shipped. Anodized aluminum, socket head flat screw with included wrench. Fit perfectly. Pretty darn nice..
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Key-Holder-...72.m2749.l2649

** Now I see they're $16/shipped. I'll likely not order another at that price. **
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue