Spyder Garage

Default 2102 RSS fuel delivery issue

was riding on my spyder the other day when the engine started to miss and i had to pull to the side of the road. when i stopped it died. right after that it stared a few times running very rough and then wouldnt start at all. after towing it home i got it to start and run normally for a about 20 seconds using starter fluid but it still wont start on its own. seems like a fuel delivery issue to me but i have no experience with these machines and dont know where to start. also, i can hear the fuel pump running when i turn the key on, and it has fresh gas. any help would be appreciated

edit: 2012 rss

Spyder Garage

on your first post and from Hawaii. Cannot help you with the no start issue.

There are a few Spyders there, but dealers were few and none a few years back. Not sure if that situation has changed. Hopefully it is something easy like a clogged filter that you can take care of yourself.

Am guessing you are speaking of a 2012 RSS.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’d start with replacing the two MAPS vacuum hoses if it’s never been done. Classic symptoms. Rather than go too much into it here, do a forum or google search. Plenty of pictures and DIY instructions. It’s a job you can do.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

start with those two vaccum hoses. Then depending on the ryding and conditions as well as time and fuel....change the fuel filter and check the air filter and the passages to the air box. You could also add some additives to the next fuel fill up. I use seafoam but there are many out there....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

...changing those hoses to silicone is a good idea ….. However the problem with the old hoses is they get micro-scopic cracks which cause the hoses to DETERIATE …. and cause Vacuum issues ….. but imho not the way the OP described His failure ….. as reported by the OP ….. To me BAD gas ( very bad ) is more likely the culprit ….. I remember a post here that said a FUEL hauler put Diesel into the SUPER pump tank at a gas station by mis-take …. A clogged filter could be the problem, but again His symptoms don't lead me to believe that is what the problem is ….. good luck - please keep us posted on this Mike

Spyder Garage

checked map hoses they are fine. fuel and air filter seemed fine when i took them off. bike now starts on its own but runs rough and dies at idle after 30 seconds or so. bike sat for awhile recently, though i started it a couple times during that time and it ran fine. it was on the first real ride that it died after running perfectly. bike has 400 miles. thinking maybe clogged injectors? how hard are they to get to? thoughts?

edit: bike also was and has been been running on premium with a good amount of seafoam mixed in since before it sat.

Spyder Garage

Default 2102 RSS fuel delivery issue (continued)

changed fuel filter and spark plugs and bike will start and idle rough but will not rev and eventually dies at idle. with airbox cover off i can hear a coughing sound caused by air (feels like exhaust) being pushed out of a tube that goes into the airbox (egr?). every time the bike coughs, with the throttle cracked to see past the throttle plates, i can see fire in the throttle body, as if something is igniting in there. maybe a timing issue? is there a variable valve timing system that fails on these bikes? all help appreciated.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2019 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Merged threads

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you need professional help.

Too much stabilizer can cause problems just by itself.

Any bike that has only 400 miles in 6 years likely needs some SERIOUS fuel system cleaning.

Spyder Garage

I would start by draining the fuel tank and putting in fresh fuel from a gas station that sells lots of gas
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended