Spyder Garage

Default Windshield Arm Retainer

On the end of the arm attached to the windshield that adjusts the windshield up/down there is apparently a retainer bolt kit. Has anyone here ever replaced one of these? I am missing the inside edge cap that holds the retailing bolt together. There is apparently one on each side and they screw into the bolt/sleeve itself to lock the thing in place. I actually only need the one cap, as the rest is still in place. I noticed it while riding yesterday. I don't know whether I have to order the entire kit (looks like 3-4 pieces) or just the end cap. Anyone know?

Spyder Garage

P.S. 2012 RT SE5 Audio & Convenience Package. Factory windshield.

Spyder Garage

Can you supply a pic of the area of the missing part ??

Spyder Garage

I think he is referring to the screws that are on the ends of the sleeves. If so yes you can just buy those. I do not have the part number, but any dealer can look them up, and most will have them in stock.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Just remove the one you have, and buy a copy of it at the hardware store. Prop up the windshield, so it won’t fall.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

FYI, after posting yesterday I continued my research and found that you can buy a pack of 10 of the screws or a "repair kit" that includes the screws and sleeves for all 3 points of contact between the windshield and the adjustable arms. I discovered that the screw head actually sheared off (extreme gust of wind during a ride). So the repair kit will allow me to replace the sleeve as well and I will have spares for the rest. So I ordered the repair kit. It is the same for all RTs. The part # for the kit is 219800355. I am having technical problems all of a sudden with transferring phone pics to my computer, and I don't visit this site via my phone. But I will post a follow-up in a few days when the repair is complete.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    FYI, after posting yesterday I continued my research and found that you can buy a pack of 10 of the screws or a "repair kit" that includes the screws and sleeves for all 3 points of contact between the windshield and the adjustable arms. I discovered that the screw head actually sheared off (extreme gust of wind during a ride). So the repair kit will allow me to replace the sleeve as well and I will have spares for the rest. So I ordered the repair kit. It is the same for all RTs. The part # for the kit is 219800355. I am having technical problems all of a sudden with transferring phone pics to my computer, and I don't visit this site via my phone. But I will post a follow-up in a few days when the repair is complete.
    While you'r at it …. I made some plastic washers using a punch type hole maker ….. They are from the lid of a Margerine tub …. very thin and slippery … I did this to tighten up the clearance on the Arms …. my windshield doesn't WOBBLE like it did before ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I had no wobbling in mine before this incident, but I will keep that tip in mind should it not be tight after I replace the retaining sleeve and hex bolts.

Spyder Garage

BRP changed to the bolts in 2012. Prior years(2010 & 2011) had pins and c-clips. I still have the clips. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Replace the retainer sleeve and hex bolts on the upper right (sitting on trike) windshield adjuster arm this afternoon. Easy.

Required:

One short sleeve and 2 hex bolts from this repair kit, which has 1 long (center bottom arm attached to the windshield motor), 2 short arms (for the uppers on each side), and 6 hex bolts with locktite on the tips. Part # 219800355

2 Allen wrenches (I used 1 standard and 1 metric of about the same size. The metric fits a bit tighter).

Steps:

1. Remove the broken sleeve/bolt assembly (you might need to push it out from the broken side).
    2. Screw 1 hex bolt into 1 end of short brass sleeve until it is snug using an Allen wrench and channel locks.
    3. Insert into hole through windshield mounting bracket and adjustable arm base with the bolt toward the outside edge.
    4. Carefully thread the other bolt on the inside edge to get it started.
    5. While holding 1 Allen wrench in the outside hex bolt, tighten the inside hex bolt with the second Allen wrench. There isn't room to rotate the wrench 360 degrees and certainly no room for a driver. So you'll have to do it the slow way.
    6. Tighten until neither Allen wrench moves under firm pressure.

Finished! Oh...now clean the smudges from your knuckles off the inside of the windshield.

P.S. The bolts I removed from my 2012 RTS had star heads in them, but the replacement kit has normal hexagonal head (regular old Allen wrench) bolts.

Spyder Garage

Great job.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles