Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default Sway Bar

Anyone do the Can am sway bar yet. Worth the money and how was it to install.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jasons900Ryker View Post
    I have not been able to ride my Ryker enough to say yet. But I can tell you that the sway bar swap is a rear BEAR, to put it mildly! Probably the most difficult thing I've done on any BRP product. The shame is, it is unnecessarily difficult. Possibly engineered to be so.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-25-2019 at 01:25 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Yes it's worth the money. Had dealer do the swap. Too much for me, tried but a real pain.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gvcntx View Post
    Yes it's worth the money. Had dealer do the swap. Too much for me, tried but a real pain.
    Agreed! I had my dealer put mine on just because I didn't want to tear the front end apart on my Rally. The upgraded BRP bar definitely helps to stiffen the front suspension and keep the inside wheel down in corners. The traction nanny still prevents going full send into a corner and throttle-steering it (even in sport mode), but it's a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.

--
    QM

Spyder Garage

What did the dealer charge to install the bar?

Spyder Garage

What did the dealer charge to install the bar?
    The bar was $134.99 (+tax) and the shop labor was $280.50 (3 hours @ $93.50/hr). That brought the total to $426.63.

--
    QM

Spyder Garage

If you can hold off a bit. I am working on a bar kit for the Ryker that should make the install much easier. It will be designed as a DIY kit like the other bar kits I have. At the very least, it will reduce professional install costs a great deal by cutting install time, if you decide to go that way. Projections are to have this bar kit ready by the end of March. Don't hold me to this timeline as we need to test the design and various versions. But I think you are going to like what we end up with. Frankly, I am more excited about this bar kit than any previous!

Spyder Garage

Time line on the Links

Spyder Garage

I have had Ron's on my RT and was completely satisfied....... I have 2 Rally's so I will be waiting for the Ron's bar also.
    2019 900 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by QuasiMotard View Post
    Agreed! The upgraded BRP bar definitely helps to stiffen the front suspension and keep the inside wheel down in corners.

--
    QM
    Are you sure?

Normally a stiffer sway bay reduces body roll and makes it easier to lift the inside front wheel under spirited riding.
    Aprilia Mana 850GT, 1988 BMW K75S, Piaggio MP3 400 (sold), Moto Guzzi Nevada 750 (modified), Puch (Sears Allstate SR175), 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
    Are you sure?

Normally a stiffer sway bay reduces body roll and makes it easier to lift the inside front wheel under spirited riding.
    Body roll can induce inside wheel lift because of weight/bias transfer. In the Ryker's case, the IMU senses that and kicks in the nanny much earlier than necessary. The stiffer bar minimizes the roll, and thus keeps the nanny at bay just a little longer. Adjustable end links to tune the settings would be a bonus, but that's not part of the BRP kit.

A stiffer bar also parlays into a more stable front end during single-wheel events (e.g. potholes, rumble strips, etc) because the bar resists allowing a single wheel to lift/hop, and instead transfers that kinetic load to the chassis links and to the other wheel's suspension. The Ryker has manual steering, so single-wheel events can be a bit hairy when moving at freeway speeds. We have lots of rumble strips and lane bumpers on Houston highways, and the steering tries to jump out of my hands sometimes (e.g. changing lanes across rumble-reflectors). The stiffer bar has already lessened that effect.

However, you are correct in most motorsport terms where overly-stiff sway/bias bar settings can allow the inside wheel to lift instead of staying planted on the pavement. That's usually only seen in a poorly tuned setup (e.g. sub-optimal front/rear weight bias or or when you're operating way past the intended thresholds of the bar), or when a track car is going full-send into an off-camber corner. I've raced multiple classes of cars throughout the years, from SCCA Production to Spec Miata to Barber/SAAB series way back in the day.

The Ryker isn't a race bike (yet)... and I don't intend to push mine into that duty. I just wanted a little flatter cornering and hopefully the ability to throttle steer it through some corners (quadracer style) without the nanny stepping in to ruin my fun. If you're not planning to run a track car (or trike, in this case), then all of the extra adjustments can just be a hindrance to riding it and having fun.

--
    QM

Spyder Garage

I thought the Baja Sway Bar made a big diffrence on the 2014 RTL. I had Dealer install Baja Sway Bar on my 2018 F3 Limited yesterday. Such a HUGE diffrence. No more body role! If someone rode a 2 wheeler and switched to 3 wheels, I can see where they may like the body role. I had not been on a 2 wheeler for 20 years, I don’t care for body role. JMOP.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gvcntx View Post
    Time line on the Links
    As many know. The Ryker Heim Joint Links are different in bearing ID and overall length. Why BRP changed this spec. is hard to say. But the Ryker will require different links than the Spyder. They are not going to be interchangeable. These are in the mix with the sway bar project and timeline is about the same. The links will take much less R&D than the bar kit.

Spyder Garage

Hi bajajohn when your sway bar is ready will it be on E Bay ? Regards Nico 75

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nico75 View Post
    Hi bajajohn when your sway bar is ready will it be on E Bay ? Regards Nico 75
    It will be on eBay. But as always, it will be more expensive there to cover the eBay fees. You can save money by simply emailing me at fyredad@hotmail.com or PM me here.

I am ready to ship the Ryker bar kits out now except that I've had trouble getting the Stainless Steel Pinch Screws I need. They are out there but I thought I'd be able to get them locally. So another delay on a very small part. I hope to be shipping the Ryker bar kits by tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

So what's the secret handshake to get a price and some pics

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    So what's the secret handshake to get a price and some pics
    I've been spending my time trying to fill orders and get the last small details of the Ryker bar done. But here are 2 quick, not so professional pictures I took just for you ...

IMG_6570.jpgIMG_6572.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I've been spending my time trying to fill orders and get the last small details of the Ryker bar done. But here are 2 quick, not so professional pictures I took just for you ...

IMG_6570.jpgIMG_6572.jpg
    Thank you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    Thank you
    I really did not want to post these pics because they don't do the Sway Bar components justice. Bad angle and lighting. But it is a start.

Spyder Garage

BajaRon i send an email for order

Spyder Garage

Any pricing yet?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sonsofanarchy View Post
    BajaRon i send an email for order
    Got it an replied.

Quote Originally Posted by gskinner View Post
    Any pricing yet?
    Yes, this first run of 30 bars will be priced at $259.00 delivered (domestic - International shipping will be more). Once these are gone the price will go to $279.00 delivered. There is actually more work and cost involved with this Ryker bar kit than some of my other kits. But I want to get them out there so I am doing what I can to keep the price reasonable.

Spyder Garage

Ordered mine.

Spyder Garage

Hows the install?? hard, we need to take the ryker apart?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DirkDiggler View Post
    Hows the install?? hard, we need to take the ryker apart?
    The install is much, much easier than installing a BRP upgrade bar because of the design. Not to mention it looks better and works better too!