Thread: Need tires

Spyder Garage

Default Need tires

What are the best front tries for a 2011 rt-s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jay13433 View Post
    Not knowing anything about you or your bike, I'd say stick with the Kendas.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

anything but KENDA's......
    i've been riding SPYD3RS since 2009, have well over 100,000 miles of smiles, and the day i pick up my new SPYD3R i have the KENDA's removed.... i use the KUMHO, MICHELIN or HANKOOKS... all great tires... 4 ply... there are also many other brands that are just as good...
    best of luck...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jay13433 View Post
    Do a search ….type in Vredestein tires ….. all Spyder sizes are listed ……they have the best rating currently...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    i've been riding SPYD3RS since 2009, have well over 100,000 miles of smiles, and the day i pick up my new SPYD3R i have the KENDA's removed.... i use the KUMHO, MICHELIN or HANKOOKS... all great tires... 4 ply... there are also many other brands that are just as good...best of luck...Dan P SPYD3R
    Not knowing the OP's situation (his riding style, why he needs new tires, his level of comfort going outside the OEM specs, etc), I don't think you can say that. Kenda is a well-respected brand. For a motorcycle tire, the Kendas on the Spyder provide a very good combination of performance and longevity I think. Only the rear tire has been disappointing in its longevity, so someone looking for longer life may want to look into car tires.

BUT, the Kendas on the front provide excellent handling characteristics for the typical rider (which he may be) AND they are long-lasting. Many folks on here have over 20,000 miles on their Kendas and there is NO reason to look elsewhere unless you're trying to save money, or have such an aggressive riding style that a high performance / high speed tire is warranted.

The BEST for you isn't necessarily the BEST for everyone else. I think you do a disservice to everyone making blanket statements as you have here.

As I said before, the OP needs to provide a lot more information for us to give him meaningful advice on what is BEST for HIM / HER
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

+1..... I have good reason and personal experience to agree with SPYD3R. Long story that doesn't need to be repeated here. Inferior 2 ply tires will never grace the likes of my bike ever again..... Jim
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-24-2019 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Fixed the quote display.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The BEST for you isn't necessarily the BEST for everyone else and you do a disservice to everyone making blanket statements as you have here.
    And yet YOU make a blanket statement that is just as bad.......only the opposite.

You are welcome to your opinion. But when almost EVERYBODY in the world seems to disagree with you.......maybe you should consider that there might be something that you overlooked in your analysis. And maybe stop pressing your opinioin so hard.

Just maybe.

Spyder Garage

Without getting into the political discussion on tires, I will offer the following....

We have sold a number of sets of the Bridgestone Potenza 14" tires for the older Spyders and the owners are universally very pleased with them. They are also a much higher quality tire than the Kendas we remove.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Pete;
    we all have an opinion....
    in your eyes, i'm wrong....
    in my eyes, you're wrong....
    let him figure it out by way of the various post...
    however, 2 ply tires just don't cut it... but i'm sure you'll disagree... and that's fine with me...
    Dan
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    +1..... I have good reason and personal experience to agree with SPYD3R. Long story that doesn't need to be repeated here. Inferior 2 ply tires will never grace the likes of my bike ever again..... Jim
    I also agree 100%
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete;
    we all have an opinion....
    in your eyes, i'm wrong....
    in my eyes, you're wrong....
    let him figure it out by way of the various post...
    however, 2 ply tires just don't cut it... but i'm sure you'll disagree... and that's fine with me...
    Dan
    SPYD3R
    I don't disagree. I'm just saying that BEST is a very ambiguous and subjective term. Until he defines what his priorities are, there is no way to know.

For instance, if his dealer is one of those who will not mount anything other than Kenda on a Spyder and he's not willing to deal with the hassle of ordering his own tires, then taking his wheels and new tires to a tire shop to have them mounted, his BEST solution is to stay with Kendas. Which is a not entirely bad choice, since the front Kendas have historically proven to have good (not necessarily the BEST) performance and tread wear.

It all depends on his situation, of which we know nothing, except that he seems to be a newbie and is somewhere in New York.

My concern with all this Kenda-bashing is that newbies looking for advice may unnecessarily be concerned that the tires on their bike aren't up to snuff. I think that would be a mistake.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

vredstein for me

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Can any tire dealer install? Or, must you take tire to a Spyder shop for install? Also what do you recommend for front?

Spyder Garage

I Definately recommend the 14" ones
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Colo Ryder View Post
    Can any tire dealer install? Or, must you take tire to a Spyder shop for install? Also what do you recommend for front?
    Maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe any tire shop will be able to mount the front tires. It's the back wheel that can be a problem.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Colo Ryder View Post
    Any tire shop should be able to replace the front tires without any issues + the wheels are easy to remove and install yourself.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Do a search ….type in Vredestein tires ….. all Spyder sizes are listed ……they have the best rating currently...... Mike
    Yes, there's DOZENS of tire threads, 3 new ones ongoing and hundreds questions asked and answered
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

It is okay to disagree. Just asking that it be kept civil. That is what these favorite discussions are all about.

I, unfortunately cannot be helpful on the tire questions. The dealer here will only install Kenda tires, because BRP says so.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-05-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yokohama S Drive
    205 / 55 / 15
    Stock tire lifted 8000 miles fixing to do 5000 miles in April. The tire feel fine so far will let you know after the trip.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The dealer here will only install Kenda tires, because BRP says so.
    Do we REALLY know that BRP says that ?
    Or are we taking the dealers word......so they can sell us a higher mark-up tire ??

The first dealer that told me that will NEVER see my face in their shop again......for anything.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Do we REALLY know that BRP says that ?
    Or are we taking the dealers word......so they can sell us a higher mark-up tire ??

The first dealer that told me that will NEVER see my face in their shop again......for anything.
    Well....when they are the only game in town, and in the state...who do you trust?

Soon...there will be NO dealer in AK. They said they would service through this year.....but we will see.

For me, it has been a choose your battle situation. No sense making the only game in town mad at me. Can't burn all the bridges yet.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-06-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    No sense making the only game in town mad at me. Can't burn all the bridges yet.
    Well that is a rather unique situation.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe any tire shop will be able to mount the front tires. It's the back wheel that can be a problem.
    Many tire shops also cannot balance the front due to the small hub diameter. The small cone to fit them on the hunter balance machines is not a common one or part of the standard kit delivered with the machine.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame