Spyder Garage

Default Don't buy cheap gas

I bought gas from a racetrac gas station. 93 octane. I got about a mile down the road and the check engine light came on. It set a p1171 code. I drained the gas and put new gas and fuel injection cleaner. After 2 tanks of fuel the light went out

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome.....

Glad it cleared though I'm not sure it was the gas. That code can be caused by several sensors and or reasons. The o2 sensor comes to mind and many times they will clear up. Two tanks is a long time but good rule is to stick with a good gas company that is easy to find on the paths you travel...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

a foot note " beware of the high test gas " where it is rural farm out lying areas ... ( usually the gas has been in tanks for a long period , and water or other stuff is mixed by the time it gets too the gas tank ) thanks for the note for your experience , keep up the fun stuff and ride !

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by drkennedy61 View Post
    I bought gas from a racetrac gas station. 93 octane. I got about a mile down the road and the check engine light came on. It set a p1171 code. I drained the gas and put new gas and fuel injection cleaner. After 2 tanks of fuel the light went out
    … As mentioned above …. who the Gas station is targeting for sales is a factor ….. Racetrac pricing is for the bargain hunter …. and they are almost always buying regular …. It is very likely, that 93 oct. has been sitting in the tank for a looooooooooooooong time …… and Gene is also correct a lot of rural area gas stations don't sell a lot of 93 oct...………….jmho ….Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Spyder will run on cheap gas or expensive gas, it just won’t run on no gas.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

One refinery in AK for the whole state. Here, it all comes from the same place. The dispensaries are very different though. Around the big cities...all gas stations like most anywhere else. Get a hundred miles away and it can be a crap shoot. Our most rustic was in Chitina AK (the head of the 50 mile RR grade road to McCarthy). Gas was dispensed from a big aboveground tank...like an oil drum from the basement. We had no problem with that "gas of the day."

off subject a bit: for two years now...I burn 87 and now that my bikes are familiar with it...don't seem to have any less performance or issues.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-24-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=SpyderAnn01;1423399]My Spyder will run on cheap gas or expensive gas, it just won’t run on no gas.[/QUOTE]

That's interesting, mine's the same way
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

CHEAP gas or not it's the ETHANOL & they trying to ADD MORE FYI this may help (copied from an email) :

Federal legislation would require proper labeling of E15 fuel and consumer education campaign

Contact your representative today to support H.R. 1024!

U.S. Rep. Austin Scott (R-Ga.) and U.S. Rep. Lois Frankel (D-Fla.) have reintroduced the "Consumer Protection and Fuel Transparency Act of 2019" in the U.S. House (H.R. 1024). The American Motorcyclist Association supports this bill.

Take Action

The AMA has repeatedly warned of the dangers of E15 (15 percent ethanol by volume) for motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles, because none of the estimated 22 million motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles in use in the United States is certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to operate on fuel containing more than 10 percent ethanol. Use of E15 in vehicles not designed for its use can damage fuel system and engine components and void manufacturer's warranties.

This bipartisan legislation would require the EPA to revise the labeling requirements for pumps that dispense E15 and conduct a consumer education campaign to inform the public about the risks of improper use of E15 and the vehicles and equipment that are prohibited from using E15.

Unlike current the current E15 label (below), which doesn't mention motorcycles specifically, the new label would call out motorcycles, ATVs, boats, lawnmowers, chainsaws and snowmobiles with pictograms of these vehicles and equipment specifically prohibited from using E15. This would be a huge improvement over the current label, which can leave consumers guessing whether or not E15 is acceptable for their vehicle.

image.jpeg

Also included in this legislation are provisions specific to blender pumps that would require warnings about residual high-ethanol-content blends left in the fueling hose from the previous customer. This bill would finally warn consumers about this hidden risk.

The public education campaign about the risks of E15 that is included in this legislation will take place on the fuel pumps themselves. The bill would direct the EPA to develop an electronic message to be displayed at the pump prior to dispensing E15. The message would warn consumers about which vehicles and equipment are prohibited from using E15 and the risks of improper E15 use.

Tell your representative to support H.R. 1024: Take Action
    Last edited by Bfromla; 03-05-2019 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Pic

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I get straight gas any time I can. Straight gas runs better, of course, and has more energy potential than ethanol fuel. But the main thing is it lasts much longer without deterioration. Even if it has been in the ground for some time, it does not absorb moisture like sponge ethanol. You are much less likely to get a bad load.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...