Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What things do I look for when purchasing your first spyder.

I just joined Spyderlovers to get some ideas and thoughts on the can am Spyder.

I am looking for a Spyder for my wife as she wont ride with me on my 2 wheeled HD anymore. She thinks the Spyder is a safe ride that she would be willing to make a move to. I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING about the Spyder except that I think they are a little pricey to purchase compared to my 2 wheeler. What words of wisdom can you all pass on to a fellow lover of the open road. I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A RIG . BEAUTIFUL LINES, Love the colors, newer motor, well loved and cared for, not many miles. Everything a new spyder owner would want. I just am having a hard time finding one with a price I can afford. Are all the newer RT's this pricey . Shed some of your wisdom and knowledge my way so I can make a wise decision on a purchase. LOOKING TO HEAR from all you Spyder lovers in the future. Let this newbee know what to look for in his new ride and what to run away from. Let the words of wisdom flow.
    2015 F3S , silver and orange

Spyder Garage

I think in other places you mentioned she wants an RTL or maybe you can talk her into a loaded something else. They aren’t cheap but you can find what I think are good deals on used bikes. Check imotorsports for one. 2014 or newer on the RTL with a 1330 I think you’ll find is recommended. After that it’s whether or not the add ons matter to you or not. Might call your insurance agent as well to get an estimate on cost. You can find a few bad luck stories here but for the most part everyone loves the ryde no matter what they bought. Next best suggestion is to get to a dealer and try them.

I guess everyone would say get the one that makes your wife happy, its great to have a riding partner
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

First thinking to do is go to a dealer and test ride different models ( RT, RS, ST, F3, Ryker). Then what can you afford. Don't worry about what engine they are all good and will get you to 100 mph if you want. The year with the most issues I think was 2013.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

It is a buyer's market right now. Best place to check is our for sale forum.

New, an RT (which you want) 2014 w/ the 1330 (which you want) cost about $30K. A 2014 can be had for $13K to $15K. About the price of an upline two wheeler. Half price for a nice RT is not bad. Less than a 2014 will get you the two cylinder 998. Not bad, if you don't mind the two cylinder. I have a 2011 RT with 32K miles on it. About $10K will take that one away.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You haven't said what your price range is. That makes it a real crap shoot for us.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Think a 2018 RTL will be outstanding! Sticker about 30 but there was a deal about 25 in January. Absolutely awesome machine, I refer to them as a Corvette with handlebars.. can’t beat them when it’s time to leave 2 wheels!
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Spyder Garage

THANK YOU ALL for all those words of wisdom. The bottom line is if the wife is happy with it so am I. She stated she wanted a touring bike, which makes the model an RT. The price I' m willing to spend would be anywhere from $11000 to $15000. MY Biggest concern question mark is miles. How many miles can one expect to get on an RT spyder before you start asking for trouble. Is 20 or 30 or 40 or even 50 thousand miles the time to replace magic number. Share some more wisdom and knowledge with me all you spyder lovers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by holyhill1 View Post
    THANK YOU ALL for all those words of wisdom. The bottom line is if the wife is happy with it so am I. She stated she wanted a touring bike, which makes the model an RT. The price I' m willing to spend would be anywhere from $11000 to $15000. MY Biggest concern question mark is miles. How many miles can one expect to get on an RT spyder before before you start asking for trouble. Is 20 or 30 or 40 or even 50 thousand miles the time to replace magic number. Share some more wisdom and knowledge with me all you spyder lovers.
    Happily there are no "self-destruct" issues with the Spyder line up. There are several that have reached 100,000 miles or more. I have fewer miles than most because I had to have latest and greatest. I bought a new spyder three years in a row and then two years later and then two years later. I am on hold since 2014. Now the AK dealer has decided to not carry the Spyder line up any more. May be a moot issue for me because I am contemplating a move to the lower 48. It all depends if we can sell the home here.

You can get the service history on any Spyder you buy. Have the dealer run the VIN. There are very few out there that are lemons. You can also check the history on here. People that got the occasional bad one...were not shy about posting the story.

I still have the 2011 and 2014's. Miles are a nothing...and I just have not found a newer latest and greatest to dive into. At 32K miles each, I can drive either until I am past my riding days. Both are paid for...so it's still wait and see for me.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-21-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

IMO the F3 and RT are both touring machines - and I am sure the owners of each would agree. If you hang around here long enough you will see that some people drive both of them from coast to coast.

Has your wife driven either the F3 or RT?

Does she have a MC endorsement already?

Has she taken the Can AM rider education course - only $99 and a great place to learn the difference between the two ?
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Two years ago I bought a brand new 2017 RT for less than $18K - zero miles. It wasn't a limited; indeed, it was a bare bones RT. Over the past two years I've added things onto my Spyder to make it mine. I didn't need any of the additional comforts of the RTL or RTS.

You can find deals out there if you're willing to compromise on features that you can add-on later.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Every now and then you see 2014-15-16 for sale with less than 10,000 miles on it, someone who bought them and didn't ride as much as they thought or updated to the new models, with your price range those are the ones I'd be keeping an eye out for.
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

THANK YOU ALL for all those words of wisdom. The bottom line is if the wife is happy with it so am I. She stated she wanted a touring bike, which makes the model an RT. The price I' m willing to spend would be anywhere from $11000 to $15000. MY Biggest concern question mark is miles. How many miles can one expect to get on an RT spyder before you start asking for trouble. Is 20 or 30 or 40 or even 50 thousand miles the time to replace magic number. Share some more wisdom and knowledge with me all you spyder lovers.
    There are a few in the for sale section.https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...then-600-miles
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're buying used, check the VIN on BRP database to see the service history. Some years and models had recalls for various issues, so check for those having been performed. Ideally, the bike will still be under some kind of extended warranty and that has value.

When you find one you're interested in, come back on here with the year and model and mileage and we will be able to give you more specific info about it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Most important.....?

The most important part of owning/buying a spyder that I have found, is having an honest competent dealership with a service department to match, within a reasonable distance of your residence. That would be my first priority, the machine would be secondary.

Spyder Garage

I just made the switch last summer from an 2006 Honda Goldwing to a 2018 RT Limited. Biggest thing I noticed was how smooth the ride is on my hands, feet and back side.

Call a local dealer and they'll let you demo one for a couple of hours.

I was sold, and I was able to get a new one for $23000- drove 200 miles one way and saved! Look here for some good deals too!!!!

Good Luck

Automatic trans is relaxing (wife can drive it too)
    Traffic is not an issue since there is no clutch and just a foot brake (no sore hands)
    Very comfortable on the highway
    Park it about any where - don't need to pull out a hockey puck for the kick stand

Only negative is trying to judge pot holes with three wheels
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all my new Spyder friends for all their words of wisdom and thoughts on buying a used spider. After about 20 contacts talking to sellers with spyders for sale and scammers selling spyders they don't have, trying to separate me from my hard earned money, I think I may have found a spyder that will work for my wife. Buying sight unseen, with no test drives, and no face to face hand shakes with the prior owner, it still is very difficult for me to pull the trigger. So one last favor to ask for all my spyder friends and lovers of the open road.
    HOW DO I RESEARCH A:

2015 CAN AM SPIDER RT SE6 LIMITED WITH 802 MILES ON IT AND THE VIN. NUMBER 2BXNBDD25FV003677

LICENSED IN UTAH SINCE 2015. ANY HELP OUT THEIR WOULD PUT ME FOREVER IN YOUR DEBT. There are no accessories added to this bike besides what was on it when bought new. I can buy this bike for $15000 cash but i do have to have it shipped from the west coast. Love the low miles and the black color. Heres hoping the bikes vin is legit. is this a good buy? Are the 2015 Spyders pretty solid? Any thoughts out there,

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all my new Spyder friends for all their words of wisdom and thoughts on buying a used spider. After about 20 contacts talking to sellers with spyders for sale and scammers selling spyders they don't have, trying to separate me from my hard earned money, I think I may have found a spyder that will work for my wife. Buying sight unseen, with no test drives, and no face to face hand shakes with the prior owner, it still is very difficult for me to pull the trigger. So one last favor to ask for all my spyder friends and lovers of the open road.
    HOW DO I RESEARCH A:

2015 CAN AM SPIDER RT SE6 LIMITED WITH 802 MILES ON IT AND THE VIN. NUMBER 2BXNBDD25FV003677

LICENSED IN UTAH SINCE 2015. ANY HELP OUT THEIR WOULD PUT ME FOREVER IN YOUR DEBT. There are no accessories added to this bike besides what was on it when bought new. I can buy this bike for $15000 cash but i do have to have it shipped from the west coast. Love the low miles and the black color. Heres hoping the bikes vin is legit. is this a good buy? Are the 2015 Spyders pretty solid? Any thoughts out there,
    Check with Utah Pete by PM. Chances are...he may know of the spyder you are looking at.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Check with Utah Pete by PM. Chances are...he may know of the spyder you are looking at.
    As I was reading the description I realized I might. But then he said it's on the West Coast. So, not sure. Maybe post a link to where it's being offered? Actually, isn't it on here?

Meanwhile, can someone research the VIN for him on BRP's website? Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HOW DO I RESEARCH A:

Per BRP, there are no uncompleted safety recalls for this bike.

Here's my thoughts on it.

You may have to factor in the cost of retrieving this bike to determine whether or not it's a good deal. When I bought my wife's loaded 2014 RTL a couple years ago, I had to go down to Alabama for it (from Utah). With gas, meals, lodging and not including my time, it cost about $1,000 to drive down there in my minivan towing a trailer.

It had 9k miles on it, but had a new 3-year extended warranty worth about $600. Also, it had $1500 worth of important accessories (triaxial bars and the BRP towing kit). I paid $18k for it. So, this bike at $15k bone stock seems like a fair price even with shipping. Ask whether it has an extended warranty.

Where is it located? You said Utah license but then said it had to be shipped from the West Coast, so I'm not sure.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HOW DO I RESEARCH A: 2015 CAN AM SPIDER RT SE6 LIMITED WITH 802 MILES ON IT AND THE VIN. NUMBER 2BXNBDD25FV003677
    You can either go to a local dealer and have them do a lookup for you in the BRP system, or pay $25 for a report here; https://www.autocheck.com/vehiclehistory/
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Looks like a reasonably good deal to me. (Pete, for those in Wisconsin, we ARE on the "West Coast") Shipping shouldn't be too expensive. Only halfway across the country. For reference, I bought a 2014 2 years ago that was a 3 year old bike at the time. I bought it with a matching trailer and it had about 2K in accessories. With an existing warranty and 8K miles, I paid just about half of what the original owner paid new. I think 50 cents on the dollar for an almost unused bike is a pretty reasonable price.....Keep in mind, the value of a motor vehicle is not determined by how many miles it has gone, but how many miles it has left to go. Good Luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    IMO the F3 and RT are both touring machines - and I am sure the owners of each would agree. If you hang around here long enough you will see that some people drive both of them from coast to coast.

Has your wife driven either the F3 or RT?

Does she have a MC endorsement already?

Has she taken the Can AM rider education course - only $99 and a great place to learn the difference between the two ?
    This is solid advice. I started out looking at one model, and when I test rode both. I switched to the other model. Zero regrets. Love my ride. Completely worth testing riding both.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    This is solid advice. I started out looking at one model, and when I test rode both. I switched to the other model. Zero regrets. Love my ride. Completely worth testing riding both.
    Same here, test rode a RT and bought a F3, totally different

Spyder Garage

IMO you definitely must have your wife ride whatever model(s) she might like unless you are willing to risk making a garage queen bike that you will subsequently put up for sale with next to no miles on it because she didn’t like it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 rt I’m thinking about selling. I bought a 2012 rt new and loved it my wife died in 2015 and I bought a new RT it has extras on it and very well kept my hearts just not in it anymore I’m 65 years old. I f anyone is interested in this bike you can contact me at billpinson@suddenlink.net