Spyder Garage

Default Balance rear tire????

I have been to 5 different auto shops and 3 different motorcycle shops to get my rear tire balanced. Seems no one has the spacers to hold the wheel. Funny thing is I have no had it balanced before. Should I just put the wheel back on and say the hell with it or keep looking for someone.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NVERLAST1 View Post
    I have been to 5 different auto shops and 3 different motorcycle shops to get my rear tire balanced. Seems no one has the spacers to hold the wheel. Funny thing is I have no had it balanced before. Should I just put the wheel back on and say the hell with it or keep looking for someone.
    I balanced my first Spyder rear tire ….. I haven't bothered doing this the last five tire changes ………. no difference except price ……….. this probably only works if you are using AUTO tires …..they are much better constructed than say Kenda & Vee rubber ……….good luck …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Did you use the balance beads?

Spyder Garage

Centramatic Wheel Balancer from Lamonster... have them on all three wheels of our 2014 RT Ltd and the ride is perfect. Check them out.
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NVERLAST1 View Post
    Did you use the balance beads?
    No - did it the old fashioned way … static balance on the device they use for motorcycle tires ( the two wheel variety ) ……….. that worked, but I got same results not doing it..... so I never did it again ………. Mike

Spyder Garage

I used the same approach as Mike. The tyre shop told me I should be pretty good with my Kuhmo as long as the tyre dot was aligned to the valve. I bought Lamont’s Centramatics for front and rear for peace of mind, and will put the rear Centramatics on at the next tyre change, but it all feels pretty balanced as is.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used Dyna Beads in my GW and I will use beads in Ryker when needed. cueman

Spyder Garage

Hard to believe the number of shops that advertise to be Spyder or in this case just motorcycle shops and will not invest in the basic tools to work on the vehicles. The adaptors to balance motorcycle and Spyder rear wheels are the same and not that expensive compared to the cost of the balance machine. For my Ranger, it ran me about $400 for the adaptors. We computer spin balance every Spyder wheel and tire we mount. Do the job right or get out of the business.

20190118_152348.jpg

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    We computer spin balance every Spyder wheel and tire we mount. Do the job right or get out of the business.

20190118_152348.jpg
    I wish everyone had this same attitude. Sadly, it is more uncommon that common.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Hard to believe the number of shops that advertise to be Spyder or in this case just motorcycle shops and will not invest in the basic tools to work on the vehicles. The adaptors to balance motorcycle and Spyder rear wheels are the same and not that expensive compared to the cost of the balance machine. For my Ranger, it ran me about $400 for the adaptors. We computer spin balance every Spyder wheel and tire we mount. Do the job right or get out of the business.

20190118_152348.jpg
    This is great news, now I can find out ( if you share the info ) how much weight MIGHT be needed to balance the Spyder REAR wheels ….if they have a good quality AUTO tire on the rim ….Thanks ….Mike

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you have two jack stands put the axle through the wheel and put the axle between the stands. Simple stick on weights will do the job. https://youtu.be/wpJNpOZJTYg
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

When I had my General tire mounted at the shop where I purchased my The tech moved the tire on the rim to get it to balance with NO weights. Quality tires.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have never balanced one without a tire on it. I should do that when I have the opportunity. For the Yoko rears we install, 'Normal' range is 0 to 1.5 oz with most below 1 oz. If I have one that comes up over 2.0, its a red flag that I have done something wrong along the way. Yoko fronts are almost always under 1oz.

Kendas are quite common to need 5oz to balance. Yes, they are that far off. Many Kenda rears are not even moulded concentric, IE having tread depth significantly different on one side of the tire vs opposite. I can also tell you when BRP mounts them, they pay no mind to placing the tire correctly on the rim to minimize imbalance with the valve stem.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I took my old wheel and tire and the new tire to Discount Tire. I left the hub and disk on it. They mounted it with no problem but said they couldn't balance it. It is a General Altimax. I just put it on and have had no problems, runs smooth.