Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I was always told that tires with nitrogen will not see a big change in pressure during cold winter weather???
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Lets think about this. A small car tire holds about 1 cubic foot of air. Before adding the nitrogen the tire is full of ambient air. You add a few pounds of nitrogen which is diluted by the air already in that tire. So what are you really accomplishing?
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    I was always told that tires with nitrogen will not see a big change in pressure during cold winter weather???
    BIG F
    Yep it's a hugh PLUS …… it's very important to have the proper pressure in those tires on that spyder in your garage because it's well below 32F and you wouldn't want to have check the PSI when it's that Cold ./…....……….. jmho … Mike

Spyder Garage

Well, the OP wanted to know about the experience using nitrogen in Spyder tires. I had my front CTs installed at Costco. They filled with nitrogen as they always do for tire installation. Over time, did I notice easier steering? Nope. Did I find the tire pressure fluxuated less? Nope. Did I realize any benefits at all? Nope. Do I check and adjust my tire pressure the same as always? Yup. So, Your call..... Jim

PS. I like the look of the green valve stem caps.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

One thing I’ll say no matter what you want in the rear at least, if you take in in to be serviced check your tire pressure when you get your bike back. Found out today they’d added 10 psi to the rear and I didn’t know it.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

When Consumer Reports tested Nitrogen in tires, they generated the most discussion on their boards they ever had.

Conclusion: Nitrogen seeps out slower, but not slow enough to eliminate the need to regularly check tires. Only real benefit is high pressure situations like commercial truck tires.

Other thoughts.

1. They were really skeptical about people reporting increases in gas mileage.
    2. They did not test the thought, "if you fill your tires with air, the oxygen is more likely to permeate out of the tires before the nitrogen and over time you end up with a higher concentration of nitrogen. [they] have not checked this but it seems possible."

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Why, please explain?
    because it is an inert gas it will not damage from moisture the interior of a wheel or tpms. at my place it is common to do something called a bead clean. that is when the beads of a tire oxidize or in the case of a chrome or steel wheel start to rust and you get a leak at the rim/tire bead. by using nitrogen you slow down this process. since most tires are replaced in under 5 years the oxidation process for the inside of a tire won't matter as much but most don't replace their wheels unless they damage them. proper tire inflation of any type of gas extends tire life while a dry gas will extend the life of a wheel and the valve core of a tpms shaft, i have seen many times valve cores go bad
    in just 2-3 years and most especially from galvanic fusion on european cars.

Spyder Garage

Okay, I'll add to the threadcount My choice is to forgo the N2 mostly based on cost but also acknowledging that the major reason for pressure change is the moisture content of the air put in the tire.

If I lived in Houston with 90% humidity and could get N2 cheaply, I'd probably run it, and I am a stickler for tire pressures. I obsess over whether both front tires are equal pressure. I just balanced out my lawn tractor tires with 12 psi in the fronts and 8.5 psi in the rears.... I'll refill the portable air tank and balance out the Spyder tires, and get new batteries for the FOBOs before we hit the road...just a little cold this morning at 5 degrees for a Ryde. Moisture in the air here is quite low at only 18% humidity in the house now.

Your ryde, your choice, but do check your pressures often. Its a Safety Thing.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I have been using helium in my Spyder tires and makes my Spyder a lot lighter and my tires don't wear out.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    Okay, I'll add to the threadcount My choice is to forgo the N2 mostly based on cost but also acknowledging that the major reason for pressure change is the moisture content of the air put in the tire.

If I lived in Houston with 90% humidity and could get N2 cheaply, I'd probably run it, and I am a stickler for tire pressures. I obsess over whether both front tires are equal pressure. I just balanced out my lawn tractor tires with 12 psi in the fronts and 8.5 psi in the rears.... I'll refill the portable air tank and balance out the Spyder tires, and get new batteries for the FOBOs before we hit the road...just a little cold this morning at 5 degrees for a Ryde. Moisture in the air here is quite low at only 18% humidity in the house now.

Your ryde, your choice, but do check your pressures often. Its a Safety Thing.
    Had a friend like that, he made a set of hoses so he could fill all 4 tires at the same time at the exact same pressure
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

The air we breath is about 80% nitrogen. Why pay for it. The big thing is to clean your rims where they seal before putting on new tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I have been using helium in my Spyder tires and makes my Spyder a lot lighter and my tires don't wear out.
    I'll do you one better. I filled my ex with nitrogen, and she floated away.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always liked using "Nitrogen-Light"...
    It's only 78% pure; but I can get it REALLY cheap!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    BIG F
    Yes.....nor in HOT weather either but it is NOT because of the nitrogen.

It IS because when nitrogen is taken out of the air and compressed into a liquid in a tank,
    pretty much ALL of the water vapor is removed.

It is the water vapor that causes the biggest swing in pressure as temp's go up and down.