Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebuild a DPS

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Just a note that may be of interest..... I previously owned a CanAm Commander that did not come with DPS from the factory. I had the dealer add an aftermarket DPS that I purchased from Super ATV. The cost of the DPS unit was around $600. Both the dealer and I agreed the the aftermarket DPS was far superior to the OEM unit. Completely sealed, water and mud proof and never hickupped.....The steering could be turned lock to lock with one finger while the 4X4 was sitting still on pavement, just like in an automobile. I asked on another thread if the older OEM DPS units could be upgraded to the newer post 2018 model without any reponse..... It would be nice if our older units could benefit from newer technology..... Jim
    I can only say I have seen other post with that question about upgrading a pre 2018 spyder power steering and the answer was no it can not be upgraded to the new system. I don't know why. I hope someone with more knowledge can answer that for you.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    I can only say I have seen other post with that question about upgrading a pre 2018 spyder power steering and the answer was no it can not be upgraded to the new system. I don't know why. I hope someone with more knowledge can answer that for you.
    As I think this through, I think the answer probably is the way the Spyder DPS interfaces with the rest of the bikes' systems. In my old Commander, there was no connection between the DPS and anything to do with speed or any other handling characteristic. It was a "stand alone" power steering. The Spyders DPS system is interfaced with the way (speed, etc.) the bike is being ridden. I don't think any dealer would accept the liability of reprograming an older bike to accept the newer DPS system. One accident with an altered DPS system would probably result in the dealer going out of business.....

So...... As to my post of interest..... Never mind..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Spyders DPS system is interfaced with the way (speed, etc.) the bike is being ridden. I don't think any dealer would accept the liability of reprograming an older bike to accept the newer DPS system. One accident with an altered DPS system would probably result in the dealer going out of business..... Jim
    Right, it is connected to all the other units via the CANbus. BRP would probably have to do a fair amount of reprogramming of the VSS and other systems to interface with the newer DPS. I've no idea how much the VSS and other units can be reprogrammed, if at all.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Just a note that may be of interest..... I previously owned a CanAm Commander that did not come with DPS from the factory. I had the dealer add an aftermarket DPS that I purchased from Super ATV. The cost of the DPS unit was around $600. Both the dealer and I agreed the the aftermarket DPS was far superior to the OEM unit. Completely sealed, water and mud proof and never hickupped.....The steering could be turned lock to lock with one finger while the 4X4 was sitting still on pavement, just like in an automobile. I asked on another thread if the older OEM DPS units could be upgraded to the newer post 2018 model without any reponse..... It would be nice if our older units could benefit from newer technology..... Jim
    Would like to know that as well because my Wife complains it is hard for her to steer it in and out of the garage.
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

I was under the impression, and this could be incorrect, the actual steering portion is the same from year to year. The difference being later models now use a brushless motor vs early machines utilized a brushed motor.

Spyder Garage
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

CanAmjhb did you ever receive a response in ref to DPS replaced with aftermarket part?
    Have 2012 CanAm Spyder RT SE5. Codes leads to DPS. steering a bit harder than before. No difference as increase speed.
    Batt was low. Changed batt, checked fuses/relays.. Still same.. However, has not gone to limp mode! (Knock on wood)
    With all that said... Any chance to by pass the DPS? Am good to ride it as is...
    2012 RTS SE5 , Spider Web Brake pedal Orbital blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CADRE View Post
    CanAmjhb did you ever receive a response in ref to DPS replaced with aftermarket part?
    Have 2012 CanAm Spyder RT SE5. Codes leads to DPS. steering a bit harder than before. No difference as increase speed.
    Batt was low. Changed batt, checked fuses/relays.. Still same.. However, has not gone to limp mode! (Knock on wood)
    With all that said... Any chance to by pass the DPS? Am good to ride it as is...
    As I mentioned in my post #27, I don't think it is practical to try to upgrade the DPS system. But, somewhere in the back of my memory I seem to recall that it can be disconnected or bypassed. BUDS may have to be involved. A little more research is needed. But, I think if my DPS system pukes I would look into disabeling it completely..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi