Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuild a DPS

Spyder Garage

Default Rebuild a DPS

Was looking at another Spyder site and asked about DPS unit failure, was schooled on post of DPS do not fail or not mentionable enough. All I was looking for was are the units rebuildable. With the failure rate since release someone a lot wiser than me has cracked one open. I have one I replaced last spring but wouldn’t know what to look for. At $1800.00 a unit I’d bet someone would come up with a business to rebuild them. Thanks all just curious.

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one....

Do not know of anyone who has ventured into that device. Parts are not offered nor diagrams or specs for one to work on them. From all that have failed I have never heard what failed. Electric motor, sensors, computers control etc. Some just live without many shop around for price or search salvage yard service sites. I would suspect if someone did try nd found a way it would be expensive and not enough to make it worthwhile.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Do not know of anyone who has ventured into that device. Parts are not offered nor diagrams or specs for one to work on them. From all that have failed I have never heard what failed. Electric motor, sensors, computers control etc. Some just live without many shop around for price or search salvage yard service sites. I would suspect if someone did try nd found a way it would be expensive and not enough to make it worthwhile.
    ……….. in todays world normal car engines are not re-built by DIY'ers any longer …. it's easier and less expensive to just by one that someone else has re-built ( ie remanufactured ) …………. jmho ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Thanks for your reply, I’ll keep mine to remind me to keep battery charged and terminals clean and someday I’ll make a boat anchor out of it. In closing did it come off the space shuttle?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kennard View Post
    Thanks for your reply, I’ll keep mine to remind me to keep battery charged and terminals clean and someday I’ll make a boat anchor out of it. In closing did it come off the space shuttle?
    I have wondered also why these are not repaired. At a guess dealers are not going to rebuild one since they would have no manuals or parts and liability would be high.

If I had the need, as in if ours failed, I certainly would repair it unless impossible to do.

If you are local or inteseted in shipping it to me, I can give it a look and if repairable, you will have a spare.

Spyder Garage

A Spyder Ryder here in Aust has looked into rebuilding these DPS units, try dropping him a pm, he's here on the Forum, goes under the username of Stu.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Was looking at another Spyder site and asked about DPS unit failure, was schooled on post of DPS do not fail or not mentionable enough. All I was looking for was are the units rebuildable. With the failure rate since release someone a lot wiser than me has cracked one open. I have one I replaced last spring but wouldn’t know what to look for. At $1800.00 a unit I’d bet someone would come up with a business to rebuild them. Thanks all just curious.
    What is a "DPS"?

Spyder Garage

Just another one of those overly high priced disposable parts. Ain't technology great?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I would tear into my failed DPS unit in a heartbeat. I spent 15 years rewinding and rebuilding electric motors, gear drives, electromagnetic devices, and even rebuilt motorcycle stators and automobile alternators. I may not be able to repair my DPS and end up buying a new one, but I'll sure as shooting give it a try. What is there to lose in trying?
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    What is a "DPS"?
    The power steering unit
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    The power steering unit
    Dynamic Power Steering to be exact. I assume that the 'Dynamic' refers to the variable amount of assistance this unit is designed to deliver. More assistance at low speed tapering off to zero assistance at higher speeds. So if this unit fails, you will not notice any difference over the cut-off speed, which I think is around 45 mph but don't quote me on that one.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have not heard of anyone fixing one. I have never had one fail so have never had any reason to take one apart. From the few that have reported what the fault code was that required the replacement of the DPS. It seems to be mostly a torque sensor type failure and mostly an open circuit on the torque sensor in particular. That sounds like something that could be fixed??? Would you happen to know the specific fault your DPS had before it was replaced?

For those of you that do not know. The torque sensor is internal to the DPS. It measures the amount of torque applied to the handlebars by the driver. It does that by measuring changes in the magnetic field in the input shaft as torque is applied.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I have not heard of anyone fixing one. I have never had one fail so have never had any reason to take one apart. From the few that have reported what the fault code was that required the replacement of the DPS. It seems to be mostly a torque sensor type failure and mostly an open circuit on the torque sensor in particular. That sounds like something that could be fixed??? Would you happen to know the specific fault your DPS had before it was replaced?

For those of you that do not know. The torque sensor is internal to the DPS. It measures the amount of torque applied to the handlebars by the driver. It does that by measuring changes in the magnetic field in the input shaft as torque is applied.
    I've had 2 go out on my 2008 GS. First one was DOA. Took me awhile to figure this out (actually Lamont figured it out), because it never worked and I had nothing to compare it to. They took a DPS unit off a brand new Spyder on the sales room floor to get me back on the road. Same faulty design and it didn't last either. My 3rd DPS was an upgraded model and it's still working. But I agree that it may well be that at least some of these DPS units could be fixed if someone knew what they were doing.

Interesting story behind the early DPS units. Seems that BRP did a lot of testing of these units with thousands of simulated hours of use. They were placed on a machine that turned them lock to lock under load, continuously for weeks on end with zero issues. But, how often do you actually turn your handlebars lock to lock? Not very often. Turned out that lubrication at the bottom of the DPS was only delivered to components higher up in the mechanism when turned all the way to the left or right. So with normal use, these components did not receive adequate lubrication and failed. This engineering flaw was corrected in later models so this is no longer an issue.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-20-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I've had 2 go out on my 2008 GS. First one was DOA. Took me awhile to figure this out (actually Lamont figured it out), because it never worked and I had nothing to compare it to. They took a DPS unit off a brand new Spyder on the sales room floor to get me back on the road. Same faulty design and it didn't last either. My 3rd DPS was an upgraded model and it's still working. But I agree that it may well be that at least some of these DPS units could be fixed if someone knew what they were doing.

Interesting story behind the early DPS units. Seems that BRP did a lot of testing of these units with thousands of simulated hours of use. They were placed on a machine that turned them lock to lock under load, continuously for weeks on end with zero issues. But, how often do you actually turn your handlebars lock to lock? Not very often. Turned out that lubrication at the bottom of the DPS was only delivered to components higher up in the mechanism when turned all the way to the left or right. So with normal use, these components did not receive adequate lubrication and failed. This engineering flaw was corrected in later models so this is no longer an issue.
    Good point. I forgot about some of the early ones failing without throwing a fault. That would rule out the torque sensor issue on those units being the problem.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Good point. I forgot about some of the early ones failing without throwing a fault. That would rule out the torque sensor issue on those units being the problem.
    Seems to be what is happening with my wife's 2010 RT SE5. I rode to work yesterday about 40 miles into the trip I go into "limp home mode" and "Check DPS" but when I hold the mode and set button with the blinker, I do no see a code. So I pulled over and shut it down turned off the key and waiting about 10 seconds. Started back up and ran fine for the next 20 miles. Then after work, after about 40 miles again the exact same thing happens. Shutting it down for 30 sec or so seems to clear the issue.

Spyder Garage

By your description there is a fault code. It just may not be active at the exact time that you do the 3 button push. That is because you can only retrieve fault codes that are active. Codes that have occurred can only be retrieved using BUDS. When the early DPS units failed without throwing a code. There was no limp mode or warning on the gauge cluster. The DPS just stopped working. So if there was a warning on the screen.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Seems to be what is happening with my wife's 2010 RT SE5. I rode to work yesterday about 40 miles into the trip I go into "limp home mode" and "Check DPS" but when I hold the mode and set button with the blinker, I do no see a code. So I pulled over and shut it down turned off the key and waiting about 10 seconds. Started back up and ran fine for the next 20 miles. Then after work, after about 40 miles again the exact same thing happens. Shutting it down for 30 sec or so seems to clear the issue.
    Both times my DPS failed, I got no code or limp mode issues. However, it started steering my Spdyer for me on the 2nd failure. That was interesting. It was all I could do to keep my Spyder going straight at times. Luckily, it was intermittent. That steering motor is very strong. I think it will throw a code if the motor draws too much amperage. Though I think it draws quite a bit even when it is working correctly.

Hope you get it worked out.

Spyder Garage

would anyone be interested in joing a class action suit againest BRP on these DPS failures, 12000 to 2000 dollars a shot on a problem that has been around for years

Spyder Garage

Update to took my volt meter to it and with all accessories running and at 3500RPM I am sitting at 14.2-3v with nothing on it's steady 14.4v at 3500RPM and at idle about 14.2-3v all of these numbers to me indicate a good charging system and healthy battery. Just so weird, it seems to happy right about 40 miles like clock work. The longer I own this thing the more i want to sell it. It pisses me off when manufacturers try to basically lock you out of working on it without $600-1000 scan tools. They are strong arming you into taking it to their dealer.....

After sitting for a few hours battery is at 12.5v with Key off. With key on voltage drops to 11.99, 97 97, 96 counts down fairly quick. Think i'm gonna throw a battery at it first.

Spyder Garage

Replaced the battery and so far 150 miles with no DPS warnings.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Replaced the battery and so far 150 miles with no DPS warnings.
    That's great. Another example of why a voltage test of a battery by itself isn't sufficient to diagnose the battery's true condition.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Mine started to fail with 5 miles on it, Dealer needed to "duplicate" of course that couldn't happen! After 500 miles It finally kicked off going through a sharp turn and it was finally replaced.
    Codes:
    IMG_20180831_185458.jpg

Code when riding through a turn and it faulted
    image000001_05.jpg

Video of me getting first code

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WCUDikMVa7g2A4eq5
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Hmmm, on my 2015 RTL my steering will not provide any assistance like that until the Spyder is moving. Did something change since then?
    2015 RTL , Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post
    Hmmm, on my 2015 RTL my steering will not provide any assistance like that until the Spyder is moving. Did something change since then?
    power steering was upgraded in 2018.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Just a note that may be of interest..... I previously owned a CanAm Commander that did not come with DPS from the factory. I had the dealer add an aftermarket DPS that I purchased from Super ATV. The cost of the DPS unit was around $600. Both the dealer and I agreed the the aftermarket DPS was far superior to the OEM unit. Completely sealed, water and mud proof and never hickupped.....The steering could be turned lock to lock with one finger while the 4X4 was sitting still on pavement, just like in an automobile. I asked on another thread if the older OEM DPS units could be upgraded to the newer post 2018 model without any reponse..... It would be nice if our older units could benefit from newer technology..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi