Spyder Garage

Default Substitute Parts Thread

Hi. I have been a long time BMW rider, 50 years, and a 20 year member of the BMWST forum before becoming a Spyder rider. The BMWST community had a substitute parts thread where members let each other know what non BMW parts would work on the bikes. Is there a thread where members share their discoveries/recommendations of substitute parts that can be used in place of the official BRP parts?

Thanks for reading this.
    Last edited by Eckhard; 02-18-2019 at 08:54 PM. Reason: improve the text
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    Hi. I have been a long time BMW rider, 50 years, and a 20 year member of the BMWST forum before becoming a Spyder rider. The BMWST community had a substitute parts thread where members let each other know what non BMW parts would work on the bikes. Is there a thread where members share their discoveries/recommendations of substitute parts that can be used in place of the official BRP parts?

Thanks for reading this.
    There's none that I know of ………...YET …. However members post DIY idea's and alterntive methods and parts etc. …………….. Those who read ALL the posts are the most informed ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

From what I've seen on SL one is best served at present by doing a search for individual parts, like fuel filters, seat, gas shocks, light bulbs, etc., many of which can be had at auto parts stores for better prices than from BRP. Bajaron might be a good information source even though some parts might not be of a high enough density to warrant him trying to carry them.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Not that I know of....

There are suppliers like cheapcycleparts.com that carry oem parts but at better prices as do eBay and Amazon. As mentioned above you can search here and read posts from the diy guys and gals who have found others parts or ways. ....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Bump. I have started a substitute parts spreadsheet and I would like to ask for assistance from the community. If you have any parts laying around like fuel pumps or master cylinders that have id on them please let me know and I will add to my spread sheet and share. Let's help each other out to make this a more affordable pastime.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the market is probably too small and the Spyder too unique for anyone to make substitute OEM parts for the body and chassis. It's possible there is some interchangeability between the Spyder Rotax engine parts and those in other Can-Am machines, but everything else other than running gear (tires, wheels, brakes) I doubt it.

Some maintenance supplies, like oil, don't have to be OEM, and there are plenty of substitutes there. Ditto after market accessories of course.

Not at all like the huge market for mainstream 2 wheel bikes like the Beemer or Goldwing.
    2014 RTL Platinum