Spyder Garage

Default Hyper flashing Turn Signals when trailer hooked up.

I know this is yet another thread about hyper flashing, but it has me stumped

My turn signals work perfectly until I hook my trailer to the bike. The trailer is not a Can Am trailer and neither is the wiring. The dealer installed a 5 flat plug and the trailer has LED tail lights 4 of them but only of them are turn signals hence the reason for the 5 flat plug.

Anyone else experience this issue and know of a fix? My dealer and I are stumped and cannot figure it out, so any help is appreciated.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

In the olden days hooking up a trailer to your car could sometimes lead to hyper flashing because the load was too much for the relay and you had to install a heavy duty one. If that is the case here perhaps you could switch out the trailer lights to LED which I see at Harbor Freight for aroud $40. That's a cheap fix if it works and the LEDs will be better anyway.

Spyder Garage

If you use the search tab here and type in "Hyperflash" you'll find a sequence to fix it. If the lights on the trailer are LED's, there shouldn't be any issues with load.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The lights on the trailer are all LED's

Spyder Garage

So, up in the right hand corner of your screen there is a "search" function. Type in "Hyperflash" and you'll be able to find the sequence for your bike. LaMonster Garage has posted a couple good videos too
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I did a search as you say and could not find anything on the issue with regards to a trailer. I don't have an issue with it when the trailer is not hooked up. I appreciate you chiming in but do not appreciate the manor in which you word your replies so if you cannot offer any sort of help for a fix then let the thread alone and move on.

Spyder Garage

Default hyperflash

Since both the harness and trailer are new to you, either are both could be causing the problem. Hyperflash happens when the electronics see a low or no draw on a circuit.
    LEDs only flow current in one direction. an incandescent bulb flows either direction. It has been found that Spyders have been sold with the light fixture leads reversed.
    Dealers are notorious for assigning low paid service people to do "easy" jobs. Either find yourself a manual and a multimeter of a professional mechanic to troubleshoot the problem.
    Last edited by azprince; 02-20-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: additional info

Spyder Garage

The root cause of your issue is that the trailer wiring harness installed in your Spyder is not power isolated. The best fix would be to replace the trailer harness in your Spyder. But that would be expensive and may not be necessary. If your Spyder is 2014 model year or later. You can calibrate the gauge cluster with the trailer attached. Then hope that it will not hyper flash with the trailer not attached. If that works then perfect. If your Spyder is 2013 or older. Then you will have to live with it or replace the harness with an isolated one.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

azprince and billybovine thank you both for the information. The tech that did all the wiring of the lights and the harness I thought knew his stuff but obviously he wasn't aware of this issue. I will proceed with both of your recommendations and hope for the best.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    I did a search as you say and could not find anything on the issue with regards to a trailer. I don't have an issue with it when the trailer is not hooked up. I appreciate you chiming in but do not appreciate the manor in which you word your replies so if you cannot offer any sort of help for a fix then let the thread alone and move on.
    Not sure what you mean by "manor", but if you hook up the trailer, then go through the sequence, as billybovine said, it'll correct it. Do what ya want.....it worked for me...
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White