Spyder Garage

Default Must Follow manual for Ryker 900 on checking oil!

I have found you must follow instructions to the letter for checking oil or you will get a low reading.

Spyder Garage

That is also par for the course with all Spyders. They (Spyders/Rykers) are touchy when it comes to oil checks and fills.

and on your Ryker.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I wish all bikes, would just simply go back to the sight glass. Yes, my spyder is a pain to check as well, but the worst bike that I have ever owned to check the oil in is the Suzuki Boulevard M109. You must let the bike run for exactly 15 minutes, then shut it off and let it sit for 3 minutes. Then it must be held completely vertical for a good reading. Even after all that, the oil would possibly be off. I found it easier to drain the oil completely and add 4 quarts and pray for the best. If you were any over the recommended amount, it would be blown back through the air filters, and spread down the left side of the engine. A real pain.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

The big reason for having to follow the BRP instructions precisely is because after a dry sump engine has been shut off past the maximim time stated by BRP some of the oil returned to the tank by the scavenge pumps during the specified idle time begins to seep back into the bottom of the crankcase. Therefore a sight glass would have to be on the side of the oil tank and would still have to be read within the time specified by BRP.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S