Spyder Garage

Default Hyperflashing - is that a problem?

Hello, I had some TricLED LED lights installed on my 2014 RT SE6 by my local dealer and now the turn signals are htperflashing. There is a software reset (using the hazard lights button) that should fix the problem, but it is not working for me (I have a longer post on this in the RT forum section). My question for you all is, while I troubleshoot the problem is it safe to drive the bike, or could the hyperflashing trip the computer and cause a code? Thank you for any advice!

Spyder Garage

I did the reset on my 2015 when I added LED's to the rear turn signals. The reset worked for me, but occasionally the bike will revert to hyperflash mode. Other than that I have never had an issue with the computer nor has it thrown any codes.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=gianfri;1422243]Hello, I had some TricLED LED lights installed on my 2014 RT SE6 by my local dealer and now the turn signals are htperflashing. There is a software reset (using the hazard lights button) that should fix the problem, but it is not working for me (I have a longer post on this in the RT forum section). My question for you all is, while I troubleshoot the problem is it safe to drive the bike, or could the hyperflashing trip the computer and cause a code? Thank you for any advice![/QUOTE
    Did you try the reset with the bike off or running?
    It didn't work for me when the bike was off, but I tried it with it running and it worked fine.
    Yes the hyperflash may come beck every now and then, (mine a couple of times per year) but when it does, a quick reset takes care of it.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I did the reset on my 2015 when I added LED's to the rear turn signals. The reset worked for me, but occasionally the bike will revert to hyperflash mode. Other than that I have never had an issue with the computer nor has it thrown any codes.
    So it sounds like driving with hyperflashing may be annoying, but not dangerous. I am surprised how many people report the same problem (the reset works only temporarily), yet the people at TricLED keep telling me that the reset is the only fix they know and that it always works for them. Thabk you for sharing!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The reset is permanent, and it works!
    Lamont did a video about how to properly perform it: look it up!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Bob,

Did, its not permanent. sorry!
    As you so aptly told me the first time I asked a question here "try using the search" you will see that this has come up several times. On occasion it will come back, no rhyme or reason.
    In fact you even posted about adding resisters in this thread.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1318548
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It SHOULD work, and it does most of the time, except when it doesn’t. I have seen several reports of people having the same problem I’m having. I followed very carefully the instructions in the video, repeated multiple times; the reset kicks in but does not stick, after a few minutes (for me, others report variable times) the hyperflashing is back. I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of these reports or the intelligence of those users, do you?

Spyder Garage

Fixed my perminantly with a couple of resistors soldered in place. No worries
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Do people agree that while I am looking for a fox I can ride the bike safely even while hyperflashing continues? Thank you!

Spyder Garage

I have been riding mine hyperflashing for about a year no problems yet
    To be continued....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I had no trouble

Quote Originally Posted by gianfri View Post
    Hello, I had some TricLED LED lights installed on my 2014 RT SE6 by my local dealer and now the turn signals are htperflashing. There is a software reset (using the hazard lights button) that should fix the problem, but it is not working for me (I have a longer post on this in the RT forum section). My question for you all is, while I troubleshoot the problem is it safe to drive the bike, or could the hyperflashing trip the computer and cause a code? Thank you for any advice!
    The hyper-flash would come back when I would connect, or un-connect the trailer. The trailer had LED blinker/brake lights, and I believed the adding/subtracting of the trailer lights was the cause for it coming back. I could have added resistors, I just did the fix each time I used the trailer.

As for any problems while ryding, I never did have any, and I rode from California to Missouri with it hyper-flashing. I actually preferred the hyper-flashing over the normal flashing pace. Mind you, most of my ryding was freeway, and not much blinker usage.

FYI: 2016 F3T.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    I have been riding mine hyperflashing for about a year no problems yet
    That is what I was hoping to hear! May I ask why you decided to not fix the hyperflashing?

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My guess is you probably have a bad strip of LEDs … I had this happen with a brand new set from Spyderpops and the bad set was replaced without question. Good thing I always to a test plug in before I install, or I would not have know that one of 4 LED strips was bad. As soon as I unplugged them, I could resolve the hyperflash. So, I just waited to install that set until I received the new one.

Good luck … but as a few others have said, you probably have something wrong with one (or more strips of LEDs). If it were me, I would want to know and fix … but, that is just me.

All the best …. Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    My guess is you probably have a bad strip of LEDs … I had this happen with a brand new set from Spyderpops and the bad set was replaced without question. Good thing I always to a test plug in before I install, or I would not have know that one of 4 LED strips was bad. As soon as I unplugged them, I could resolve the hyperflash. So, I just waited to install that set until I received the new one.

Good luck … but as a few others have said, you probably have something wrong with one (or more strips of LEDs). If it were me, I would want to know and fix … but, that is just me.

All the best …. Ann
    Thank you. They are going to send some resitors to add, if that does not work then it has to be either bad wiring or a bad strip. I hope you are wrong!

Spyder Garage

If it's like a car's lights you can't use a regular flasher for turn signals on led lights. It will either make them hyperflash or not work at all. It's a whole different set up since leds draw less energy than the old style light bulbs.

Spyder Garage

A fox.jpg

Have a fox.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Two cats View Post
    If it's like a car's lights you can't use a regular flasher for turn signals on led lights. It will either make them hyperflash or not work at all. It's a whole different set up since leds draw less energy than the old style light bulbs.
    My combination of OEM and LED indicators work perfectly on my OEM wiring/controller, Two Cats.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Two cats View Post
    The turn signals on the Spyder are controlled by the cluster. It's all computer based, no flasher modules involved.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The only problem I think you might encounter with having hyper flashing turn signals are LEOs. The NHTSA standards for vehicle lighting have criteria for the rate of flashing for turn signals.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)