Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Hyperflashing - 2104 RT, the re-calibration did not work

Hello, I just bought a 2014 RT and had the local dealer install several TricLED lights (part of a bundle: https://www.tricledusa.com/product-p...age-2-save-130). That includes several turn signals. I did not replace any of the existing lights, only added.

After all that was done, the turn signals blink too fast. I read the description of how to re-calibrate them using the hazard lights button (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpuE...youtu.be&t=177), and I repeated that procedure several times, both with the engine running and with the engine off. The hyperblinking stops for a brief period (minutes), then starts again. I cannot find a way to get the fix to stick. The people at TricLED are also at a loss.

So here are my questions:
    1. Did anyone with a Spyder 2014 or older try to re-calibrate the turn signals using the recommended method and was NOT successful?
    2. Does anyone know any other fix I can try? I am no electrician, but since I did not remove any lights, just added lights, I am not sure a resistor would make a difference.
    3. Is there a risk of harm or damage if I cannot find a fix and just keep the turn signals flashing fast? Annoying, sure, but is there a risk, for example, that the CanBus would through a code?

Thank you all for any help you can provide!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try to start removing one light at a time and see which one is the issue??
    or contact TricLED for more suggestions?

Good Luck

Spyder Garage

What lights DIDN'T you change?? Since the hyperflash occurs because you've increased the load on the particular light circuit, are there any remaining lncandescent lights in that circuit which you could swap out for LED's?? Doing that might reduce the load back down to be closer to what it is meant to be in its stock configuration & maybe reduce or even remove the high load conditions causing the hyperflash.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    What lights DIDN'T you change?? Since the hyperflash occurs because you've increased the load on the particular light circuit, are there any remaining lncandescent lights in that circuit which you could swap out for LED's?? Doing that might reduce the load back down to be closer to what it is meant to be in its stock configuration & maybe reduce or even remove the high load conditions causing the hyperflash.
    Interesting point. I did not change ANY lights. I only added. I have no ideas if the stock turn signals use LEDs or standard bulbs. I assume the load problem is with the turn lights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Try to start removing one light at a time and see which one is the issue??
    or contact TricLED for more suggestions?

Good Luck
    TrciLED is out of ideas, all they know is that the reset using the hazard lights button should work (but it did not in my case).
    I am not convinced that there is any one light that is the issue, I think it is just an overall load mismatch. And, the lights have been installed by my dealer, I do not have the ability to do that myself, so this would not be feasible, I am afraid. But thanks for the suggestion!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is interesting because I have added a ton of LED's on my 2014 RT ….. and never had the Hyperflash issue …..and mine are DIY !!!!! ………….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I had Hyperflash after installing mirror turn signals. I got rid of it by following the instructions exactly. This is the procedure:

1. Turn the key on and wait for the screen to boot up and then hit the mode button.

2. Push and hold the emergency flasher button for 35-45 seconds and then release and push one more time to turn them off. Turn the key off and wait for the screen to go off.

3. Turn the key back on and wait for the screen to appear again and then hit the mode button again. At this point hit the left turn button and quickly turn the key off after one blink. Repeat this procedure for the right blinker.

4. Wait for the screen to go off. Turn the key back on and test for normal blinking rate.

The engine does not need to be started. This procedure worked for me but I had to do it a couple of times to get the timing down. It is my understanding that this procedure will only work on 2014 and newer models. I don't remember if I went through all the steps (1-3) for the left and again (1-3) for the right or if I just repeated step 3 for the right. But I do remember having to do the procedure a couple of times to get it right. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I had Hyperflash after installing mirror turn signals. I got rid of it by following the instructions exactly. This is the procedure:

1. Turn the key on and wait for the screen to boot up and then hit the mode button.

2. Push and hold the emergency flasher button for 35-45 seconds and then release and push one more time to turn them off. Turn the key off and wait for the screen to go off.

3. Turn the key back on and wait for the screen to appear again and then hit the mode button again. At this point hit the left turn button and quickly turn the key off after one blink. Repeat this procedure for the right blinker.

4. Wait for the screen to go off. Turn the key back on and test for normal blinking rate.

The engine does not need to be started. This procedure worked for me but I had to do it a couple of times to get the timing down. It is my understanding that this procedure will only work on 2014 and newer models. I don't remember if I went through all the steps (1-3) for the left and again (1-3) for the right or if I just repeated step 3 for the right. But I do remember having to do the procedure a couple of times to get it right. Good luck..... Jim
    This is exactly what I did, multiple times. As I said, it works for a few minutes, then it reverses back to hyperblinking. I will try again, but I’m not very hopeful at this point.

If I drive with the hyperblinking not fixed, is that going to cause problems?

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    As I said in the opening post, I watched the video and followed the instructions.

Spyder Garage

I did the button dance and it worked for a while----- but came back. I soldered in some resistors and all has been perfect for years.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Still wondering how they installed the lights?? I would try to isolate the problem by disconnecting one at a time, start with the flashers first ,guessing behind the rear tail lights is where they did the hookups?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    I did the button dance and it worked for a while----- but came back. I soldered in some resistors and all has been perfect for years.

Lew L
    Can you tell me exactly what resistors you used, their rating and where you put them? Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Have you contacted the dealer that installed them?
    If the reset works for a bit and then it goes back to hyper flash that sounds to me to be a wiring problem.
    You paid them to do the install and quite frankly it shouldn't have left the shop in hyper flash...
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Like Lew, I struggled with hyperflash for awhile. I used the procedure many times. Sometimes it would work for a day, sometimes an hour. I ended up putting in resistors, and it has worked for 2 years. I have added more lights afterwards, and even a freedom trailer and the hyperflash has not returned.

I added one 6.8K at 50W resistor to each side (left and right turn signal) You wire them by attaching a lead to the "hot" wire ( the positive wire to the LED) through the resistor and ground it to the bike. As you are creating almost a short circuit THESE RESISTOR WILL GET HOT WHEN IN USE. I attached the resistors tot he frame via metal adjustable hose clamps. Finding places to put the resistors on the frame was fun, I don't remember exactly where they are, but they are under the headlights on the metal. my bike is in storage for another couple months due to winter, so I cannot get a pic for you.

This is the only thing that worked for me.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    Have you contacted the dealer that installed them?
    If the reset works for a bit and then it goes back to hyper flash that sounds to me to be a wiring problem.
    You paid them to do the install and quite frankly it shouldn't have left the shop in hyper flash...
    You have a point, but they warned me that they had never done a job like that and they followed the instructions provided by TricLED. They are a reputable dealer, but they are small and don't see a large volume of Can Am bikes. Right now I am just researching the problem, it is too cold to take the bike back to the dealer. I will take the bike back when there is no snow on the ground. Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    Like Lew, I struggled with hyperflash for awhile. I used the procedure many times. Sometimes it would work for a day, sometimes an hour. I ended up putting in resistors, and it has worked for 2 years. I have added more lights afterwards, and even a freedom trailer and the hyperflash has not returned.

I added one 6.8K at 50W resistor to each side (left and right turn signal) You wire them by attaching a lead to the "hot" wire ( the positive wire to the LED) through the resistor and ground it to the bike. As you are creating almost a short circuit THESE RESISTOR WILL GET HOT WHEN IN USE. I attached the resistors tot he frame via metal adjustable hose clamps. Finding places to put the resistors on the frame was fun, I don't remember exactly where they are, but they are under the headlights on the metal. my bike is in storage for another couple months due to winter, so I cannot get a pic for you.

This is the only thing that worked for me.

Ray
    Thank you for sharing your experience. Is there a risk that the resistors would mess up with the Com Bus and trip a code? (I assume the answer is no, since you say you have not had a problem for years, but I thought I would ask anyway...). Thanks.

Spyder Garage

The way I understand it, and anyone with more knowledge than I please chime in, but when you have incandescent light bulbs, you basically have a short circuit through the filament in the bulbs. And the circuit is designed for that. When you add LED's, you add resistance to the circuit as LED's cannot have that much voltage and or current running through them or they burn out. The circuit "sees" the resistance and it thinks that one of the bulbs has burned out, and so goes into hyperflash as a warning to you to change a bulb. By adding the new resistor, you are allowing the correct amount of current to flow, and the circuit thinks everything is fine.

I have had my resistors in for 2 seasons ( 6 months each) and around 28,000kms. No issues with Bus system. (or anything else for that matter)

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gianfri View Post
    Can you tell me exactly what resistors you used, their rating and where you put them? Thanks!
    Hi gianfri,
    I think they were 50 watt resistors. Your LED suppliers should be able to tell you what you should use. I put them in the in area behind and to the sides of the trunk, behind the black plastic panel.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Been actively reading this and similar thread ….. So my question is ...I have lots of LED's ….. and for different purposes …… I have a 2014 basic RT …. So far I have not had any Hyper-flash after any thing I installed ….. PS none of them were from any Vendor ………………..just sayin ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Been actively reading this and similar thread ….. So my question is ...I have lots of LED's ….. and for different purposes …… I have a 2014 basic RT …. So far I have not had any Hyper-flash after any thing I installed ….. PS none of them were from any Vendor ………………..just sayin ….. Mike
    I am glad things worked out well for you. I’m missing to see your point though. What is it that you are “just saying”? Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gianfri View Post
    I am glad things worked out well for you. I’m missing to see your point though. What is it that you are “just saying”? Thanks.
    Spyders are pretty much the same in the way they built and function...… I have a lot of LED's … I have never triggered a HYPER Flash on any of my three Spyders …..LED's are basic in the way they work positive and negative wires ...not difficult to Add to your Spyder … TricLED has a very good reputation for the items they sell.….I can't imagine how/why He's having this issue …… Also the HYPER Flash isn't something that is occurring to the thousands of folks who have put LED's on their Spyders ...............… Mike

Spyder Garage

I had the hyperflash issue after adding Tricled amber/white led's on both front A arms and the Tricled amber/red to the rear saddlebags. I had the same issue you had with the Hyperflash and tried everything possible with the ideas from this forum. I finally found this product which I installed on the turn signals in the wiring area under the seat and have not had a problem since. I have turn signals on the mirrors and front fenders prior to installing the additional Tricled Led's.

https://namzcustomcycleproducts.com/...-except-honda/
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    I had the hyperflash issue after adding Tricled amber/white led's on both front A arms and the Tricled amber/red to the rear saddlebags. I had the same issue you had with the Hyperflash and tried everything possible with the ideas from this forum. I finally found this product which I installed on the turn signals in the wiring area under the seat and have not had a problem since. I have turn signals on the mirrors and front fenders prior to installing the additional Tricled Led's.

https://namzcustomcycleproducts.com/...-except-honda/
    How did you connect it?

Spyder Garage

I will provide the wiring information later, I'm not at home or near my Spyder at the moment.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014