Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Priced Out...

Spyder Garage

While I don't mean to defend BRP because they certainly hose us for accessories regardless of what model Spyder we purchase, and, of course, the B.E.S.T. extended warranty should be shopped at as many dealerships as possible to get the best price, IMO Ryker shoppers should not go shopping expecting the types of deals some of us got when we purchased our much more expensive models. It just isn't going to happen. Why do you think American auto manufacturers are discontinuing low-to-no-profit sedans? No one wants them. A BRP dealership has to make some profit on a Ryker or it won't sell them. California, that's a world of it's own. I was looking for the fee a buyer would pay for the air he breathed when in the dealership buying the Spyder.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Walk into the dealer with a check for $15,154.00, find the Mgr. Hand him the check and your list. Point to the Ryker you want and tell him either the Ryker the way you want it or the Check back. Tell him you are going to be back in an hour for his decision as you are going to lunch.

Always deal in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyradar View Post
    Old Timer...I like it! Might give that a try. I've used similar tactics over a car before.
    This is a good strategy, but I wouldn't tell them you will pay cash. They might go lower on the purchase, assuming they'll make $ on the financing. After a price is agreed to, then tell them it's cash.

As an alternative, you could try what I know has worked for a friend who shopped for a certain kind of car. He found 2-3 dealers that had the car with the options he wanted. He sent each of them an email to all of them, letting them know he was contacting multiple dealers. He asked them to respond to him with their best out-the-door price. He got good offers from all of them and then played them off each other. Then all he had to do was show up with a check.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I had a chat with Ipowersports sales today, discount on accessories, he said zero on install on the accessories, but no budge on price. Shipping lower 48 free, but there is 499.00 setup fee. He said they are selling quick, but what salesman isn't going to say that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    This is a good strategy, but I wouldn't tell them you will pay cash. They might go lower on the purchase, assuming they'll make $ on the financing. After a price is agreed to, then tell them it's cash.
    I did this on a car I purchased, got a great deal because I knew they were going to make extra on the financing, made sure there was no pre-payoff fees, and then paid off the load on the first payment date. Dealer was happy they made money off the loan, and I saved money on the deal.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin View Post
    I had a chat with Ipowersports sales today, discount on accessories, he said zero on install on the accessories, but no budge on price. Shipping lower 48 free, but there is 499.00 setup fee. He said they are selling quick, but what salesman isn't going to say that.
    You can look at the $499 set up fee as a wash if they are discounting accessories and installing for free. The free shipping is worth between $500 and $1000.

So, where did that move your OTD price from $18K? As I mentioned earlier...some things budge and some things don't. All salesman will have some BS...but IMotorsports does sell a lot of units. Even Lamont bought his rykers there.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-16-2019 at 08:19 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Walk into the dealer with a check for $15,154.00, find the Mgr. Hand him the check and your list. Point to the Ryker you want and tell him either the Ryker the way you want it or the Check back. Tell him you are going to be back in an hour for his decision as you are going to lunch.

Always deal in person.
    Seanyradar:
    I used to live in San Jacinto, so I know Temecula Motorsports is a little further away from you. When I bought my F3T they were easy to deal with when I told them I will only pay "X" amount out the door for the Spyder. You just have to be diligent on your price, and be ready to walk out if needed. I agree with others on the suggestion of getting the accessories later on. Most are not hard to install, and then not only do you get the fun of installing, but you learn so much about the machine doing it yourself. Also check out Bert's Mega Mall for the BEST warranty. They seem to have the lowest prices on BEST, and also is a site sponsor.

If it was me, this is what my offer would be assuming you want the accessories, and have them install it.
    Rally 900 MSRP: 10,449.05 (This is already a high price they use for negotiation room)
    Accessories: 2,056.37 (again already over priced)
    CA Sales Tax: 1,129.20 (can't get around this)
    CA Tire Disposal Fee: 5.25 (Again, no way out)
    CA Doc Fee: 00.00 (tell them you will go to the DMV, and do it yourself. They will say they have to register it before you can drive it off the lot. Tell them you can leave the Ryker there until you go to the DMV, or lower the MSRP price)
    License & Reg: 242.00 (again, can't get out of this)
    Labor to Install: 1,000.00
    Grand Total: 14881.87

Good luck on your dealings
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In California, the DOC Fee is a number set by the state and in required. The state set it because so many vehicle dealers were gouging the buyers with ridiculous DOC fees.

Around $15 K out the door is a reasonable price for the Ryker that the OP wants, a good deal is where BOTH the buyer and seller is happy. A dealer has to make a profit to stay in business. The buyer does not deserve to be gouged. Establishing a good relationship with your dealer is worth its weight in Gold.

Again, this is based on many years in the business at a quality dealership.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seanyradar View Post
    Really want a Ryker Rally, but looks like I'll be priced-out. Below are two quotes from my local dealership...one regular price, and one discounted (Veteran's -5%).

I built and sent them my dream Rally with every accessory I'd want installed. I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but have read enough threads here and watched enough YouTube vids, I could shave another $930 off of the accessories and do the installs myself. The Additional Dealer Markup (ADM) plus the Labor for accessory install is $3,168.00...yikes! Was also a bit surprised at the cost of the BEST extended warranty ($1,986 for 3yr or $2,410 for 4yr), which if purchased, would only tack on more cost.

I'm a cash buyer, but was hoping to get out the door for around $15,000...no way the dealer will come down that far. Also not happy they wont be getting the Rally's until June. Any thoughts where I could knock down the price?

I have another dealership yet to contact, so maybe there's hope for a better deal with them.

Okay, I'm done whining...

Rally 900 MSRP: 10,999.00
    Accessories: 2,284.85
    ADM: 1,980.00
    CA Sales Tax: 1,189.53
    CA Tire Disposal Fee: 5.25
    CA Doc Fee: 85.00
    License & Reg: 257.00
    Total: 16,800.63
    Labor to Install: 1,188.00 (12Hrs @ 99.00/Hr)
    Grand Total: 17,988.63

Rally 900 Discounted MSRP: 10,449.05
    Accessories (Discounted): 2,056.37
    ADM: 1,980.00
    CA Sales Tax: 1,129.20
    CA Tire Disposal Fee: 5.25
    CA Doc Fee: 85.00
    License & Reg: 242.00
    Total: 15,946.87
    Labor to Install: 1,188.00 (12Hrs @ 99.00/Hr)
    Grand Total: 17,134.87
    Total Savings: 853.76

48 Month B.E.S.T. Warranty: 2,410.00
    36 Month B.E.S.T. Warranty: 1,986.00

ETA for the Can Am Ryker Rally 900 is June of 2019. We currently have 3 deposits for the Ryker. To ensure a vehicle on our first delivery, we will require a 500.00 deposit.
    Several other Ryker Rally buyers have posted in this thread.https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ght-fees/page2

Not knowing what your local tax structure is, direct comparison is difficult. However I itemized prices for bike and accessories with tax and registration in my post # 31. I did not do extended warranty because I purchased prior to January 31,2019 and got a free year of BEST included. I may purchase additional BEST coverage later based on the experience of others on this forum
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Very good advice. Dealers often make a large portion of their profit from financing.

As an alternative, you could try what I know has worked for a friend who shopped for a certain kind of car. He found 2-3 dealers that had the car with the options he wanted. He sent each of them an email to all of them, letting them know he was contacting multiple dealers. He asked them to respond to him with their best out-the-door price. He got good offers from all of them and then played them off each other. Then all he had to do was show up with a check.
    This is exactly what I did last spring when I bought my F3T. A total of (5) dealerships in WA, ID, & OR. had the F3T that I wanted. I had to go 400mi to pick it up, but I saved thousands. I have also done this with cars. When I bought the Golf TDI, it turned out the last (2) dealerships that were in the bidding war for my business were actually trying to sell me the same car as it was still sitting on the customs intake lot - yet to be delivered to a dealer.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Shop around for a deal, if you can find one you like, go for it.
    Another way, if you are patient and don’t want the bike immediately, you could wait a while for the initial demand for Rykers to be satisfied. When supply at starts to catch up with demand dealers may be more willing to deal. Right now demand seems to be pretty good, so deals can be harder to find. It is that way for many new products.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black