Thread: Throttle adjust

Spyder Garage

Default Throttle adjust

We just got a 2015 F3-S / SE6. Tonight was the first time I ever rode a Spyder. Didn't know it wasn't a cable throttle. I assume there is just a spring in the twist grip which has a very light touch. Is there a heavier spring or whatever mechanism they have in there that you could buy to make a heavier feeling throttle? Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The return spring is actually in the end of the grip, or so i have read. The parts schematic shows the spring but not the sequence that it is installed. I suppose you could remove it and find a suitable spring. I have heard they can be tricky to reinstall.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    The return spring is actually in the end of the grip, or so i have read. The parts schematic shows the spring but not the sequence that it is installed. I suppose you could remove it and find a suitable spring. I have heard they can be tricky to reinstall.
    I appreciate the heads up.

Spyder Garage

I suggest you don't muck with it. There are threads hereon about folks having problems when they've removed it while trying to do something else on the right side of the bars. The light touch can be less fatiguing for someone who rides a lot but doesn't use cruise control.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

At my first service on my 2015 RTS, I asked the dealer to check the throttle because it was touchy and would not return firmly when decelerating. The dealer found that my throttle spring was installed backwards from the factory. Probably not your issue, but just something to keep in mind.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
    At my first service on my 2015 RTS, I asked the dealer to check the throttle because it was touchy and would not return firmly when decelerating. The dealer found that my throttle spring was installed backwards from the factory. Probably not your issue, but just something to keep in mind.

Thank you for the heads up.

Spyder Garage

Ditto on the spring in the handle. I had mine out and didn't think I'd ever get it back rite. Turned out I was over tightening it. TRICKY
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

A 12 dollar spring shouldn't lose its tension under normal use.
    It may be installed backwards or improperly as was suggested by others.
    The throttle should be, for safety's sake, a deadman type that rapidly returns to closed when your hand isn't on it.
    If I didn't feel as if it was something I wanted to tackle, I think I'd bite the bullet and take it to a dealer.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

It should snap closed when released. If it doesn't then the spring needs attention. If it just seems lighter than you are used to, I would ride a bit and see if you don't get comfortable with it. Reading your other thread, I believe this bike is for your wife.....? If so, make sure she likes the way it responds before you do anything she will regret. And, welcome to SLs..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    It should snap closed when released. If it doesn't then the spring needs attention. If it just seems lighter than you are used to, I would ride a bit and see if you don't get comfortable with it. Reading your other thread, I believe this bike is for your wife.....? If so, make sure she likes the way it responds before you do anything she will regret. And, welcome to SLs..... Jim

Thank you.