Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Speakers crackling

Hello, I'm the proud new owner of a used 2018 F3 Limited. I've only had it about 1 week. I've noticed that as I turn up the radio loud enough to hear the music that the speakers start to crackle at about 3/4 volume. Even though I bought it used, from a dealer, I was told its still under factory warranty. I believe the 2 year warranty follows the bike and not the owner, is this true? Anyone else have speaker problems? I haven't contacted the dealer yet but plan to this weekend.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Skups View Post
    Hello, I'm the proud new owner of a used 2018 F3 Limited. I've only had it about 1 week. I've noticed that as I turn up the radio loud enough to hear the music that the speakers start to crackle at about 3/4 volume. Even though I bought it used, from a dealer, I was told its still under factory warranty. I believe the 2 year warranty follows the bike and not the owner, is this true? Anyone else have speaker problems? I haven't contacted the dealer yet but plan to this weekend.
    I would first - read the owners manual about warranty coverage …………….. unfortunately they may be OK as far as BRP is concerned.... after I purchased my 2014 RT I noticed the same thing …. I thought it was just poor reception ( common issue ) ...however even with a MP-3 with CD music on it ...it wasn't any better …. That same MP-3 could play extremely load in my TRK, so it wasn't the MP-3 ……….. I swapped out the OEM speakers for FOUR 5.25 JBL models ….now I'm very, very happy ………...Another member " rattlebars " says this swap didn't work on His 2016 F-3..... that has me baffled …. the speakers BRP are using aren't made in some special way ( but they aren't top of the line speakers )……………...Mike

Spyder Garage

I will consult the manual and BRP website on the warranty to confirm. I'm not ready to upgrade my speakers, unless they're not covered under warranty. I will also pay a visit to a local dealer. Unfortunately, the dealer I purchased from is too far away to take it back there. Thanks for your advice. Besides the speaker issue, I freakin' love the motorcycle!

Spyder Garage

Mine does the same thing. Waiting for a fix. Haven't heard of any yet.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

We purchased our F3T a few months ago and the speakers were cracking the 1st week of playing them. Maybe well go back up to the dealer to see.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Something is overloaded.
    Given the experience related here, it might be the speakers.
    It also could be the final amp stage in the radio.

Spyder Garage

On my 2011 RTS, SM5, I had 2 right side rear speakers and one left rear speaker replaced. Mine were all covered under warranty. My last speaker was covered under the BEST warranty. cost to me, $50.00. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Good luck, my 2018 RT LTD started crackling only when i turned left, then went to all the time. After a month at the dealer they isolated it to a bad main wire harness. Luckily it was all warranty work for me

Spyder Garage

It's covered under warranty. If there is a problem with the speakers or anything else audio related. Mine did not have one of the rear speakers working. Bad connection in the main harness. Fixed under warranty.

Check your dash firmware level. Should be at 13.20. That update is covered under a Warranty Campaign from BRP and they will pay to updated it. There is talk of another update coming, 20.3. We will see.

Audio from FM radio on mine still sucks. The reception is horrible. But audio BT connected to my phone is great. No matter the speed. I can hear the music through my on board speakers. I am using an android phone, paired to the dash and do not use BRP Connect app. I find with the connect app running the audio is not as good. Lots of small dropouts of audio.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thank you for all the responses! I plan on going to Tampa Bay Motorsports this Saturday and talk to them about it. I'm pretty sure the 2 year warranty follows the bike, not the owner.(I'm second owner) I'm going to talk to them about the extended warranty also. I bought from Broward Motorsports in Hobe Sound, East Coast. Too far to back for service. Other than the speakers, I LOVE the bike! Just got back from a Valentines dinner ride with my wife, beautiful weather!

Spyder Garage

Get an F3. No speakers, no crackling.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

You are correct, the warranty follows the bike.

Spyder Garage

Update on crackling speakers:

I went to my local Can Am dealer on Saturday, Tampa Bay Powersports, very helpful and friendly. They pulled the serial number, the bike is covered until 3/2020. I was also able to recreate the speaker crackle. I will be dropping it off this Saturday and they will tear into it. They also hooked it up to the computer and did a software update, the selling dealer should of done that before they sold it. The selling dealer also said they did a service on the bike but no record of such service was found through the serial number or software, which from what I understand should of been logged for the bike. Tampa Bay Powersports also is switching the warranty from previous owner to me, these people are great, even though I didn't buy the machine from them! I have almost 1K miles on the Spyder so I'll have them do the first service while it's in the shop. TB Powersports will be my "go to" place, I'm very impressed.

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you found an honest dealer …………. and hopefully someone competent will address your problem ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Have to agree. Sounds like a good customer friendly dealer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hi, Just checking did anything come of the next trip to the dealer? I also have 2 2018 F3 Limited and they both crackle, mostly with the radio but anytime the volume gets above 3/4. I agree its quite annoying. Over all i am fine with the tunes but it would be nice to eliminate that.
    2018 F3 Limited , Lamonster Pos 3 Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tmkimmes View Post
    Hi, Just checking did anything come of the next trip to the dealer? I also have 2 2018 F3 Limited and they both crackle, mostly with the radio but anytime the volume gets above 3/4. I agree its quite annoying. Over all i am fine with the tunes but it would be nice to eliminate that.
    Crackling when using the Radio function has more to do with the ability to get a good signal ….. however all the OEM speakers are LOW bidder items …. and you get what BRP paid for them …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Has this been resolved? I've been dealing with this issue since the purchase of my F3L in April 2018. The latest software update was completed in July 2019, but there's been no change and my Spyder has been in four times trying to resolve it. Here's my video of the issue to see if what you heard is identical.

What I wrote initially:
    After the latest software update was performed awhile ago, I've noticed in addition to the aforementioned issues that anytime the steering bar is turned left/right, static noise emanates from the speakers while in FM station is broadcasting. I brought in my '18 F3 Ltd to have the dealer service department take a look at this issue plus a few other things of concern. In the meantime I have a brand new '18 RT Ltd on loan which also makes the same identical staticky noise through the speakers when the steering is turned left/right. I've asked the dealer to relay this to BRP because I'm betting more '18 Spyders with the new digital dash cluster likely has this same issue.

>Has anyone specifically only with the '18 or newer model Spyder's (RT or F3's) that utilises the new digital display cluster notice if:
    1) ALL their speakers clip on music's bass points, even while at low volume
    2) the FM tuner signal seem is quite staticky and
    3) volume output has to be turned up nearly 80%+ in order to hear it at speeds above 50mph/80kph?

I compared my '18 F3 LTD radio volume output against a 2017 F3-LTD. On the 2017 I set the volume output (tuned to the same radio station AND using a music streaming device playing the same song) at 30% and then adjusted the 2018 to an equal level output. My Spyder had to be set at 60% to be equal to the 2017. I've tried this also with the 2018 models with my dealer's new floor models against the 2017's and reproduced the same results.

Why would BRP reduce the volume output so significantly for the newly designed 2018 digital display Spyders' where we need to crank the volume output up so high? I've noticed even the bass and mid-range tones in the new models are no where as rich and deep as it was in the former Spyder model year sound systems. BRP has told my dealer they have no intentions of fixing this issue.

Update on crackling speakers:

I went to my local Can Am dealer on Saturday, Tampa Bay Powersports, very helpful and friendly. They pulled the serial number, the bike is covered until 3/2020. I was also able to recreate the speaker crackle. I will be dropping it off this Saturday and they will tear into it. They also hooked it up to the computer and did a software update, the selling dealer should of done that before they sold it. The selling dealer also said they did a service on the bike but no record of such service was found through the serial number or software, which from what I understand should of been logged for the bike. Tampa Bay Powersports also is switching the warranty from previous owner to me, these people are great, even though I didn't buy the machine from them! I have almost 1K miles on the Spyder so I'll have them do the first service while it's in the shop. TB Powersports will be my "go to" place, I'm very impressed.
    Last edited by Seattle; 09-08-2019 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Wrong link given
    “Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter and
    those who matter don't mind.”
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

2018 F3 Limited - 10th Anniversary Ed , Trickle charger, Gerbing heated clothing Black/Gold

Spyder Garage

By any chance was your issue resolved for both your Spyders? I have been dealing with this issue for over a year with my '18 F3L. Dealer service has been trying to figure out the culprit. However, I wonder if this is a manufacturing defect. I'm reaching out to others to see how they fixed the issue if it's the same as I've been trying to find solutions to resolve. I've put together a video of the crackling to see if it's the same as what others are hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by tmkimmes View Post
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

2018 F3 Limited - 10th Anniversary Ed , Trickle charger, Gerbing heated clothing Black/Gold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    By any chance was your issue resolved for both your Spyders? I have been dealing with this issue for over a year with my '18 F3L. Dealer service has been trying to figure out the culprit. However, I wonder if this is a manufacturing defect. I'm reaching out to others to see how they fixed the issue if it's the same as I've been trying to find solutions to resolve. I've put together a video of the crackling to see if it's the same as what others are hearing.
    The first dealer pulled off the speaker contacts and cleaned them, per BRP. The crackling came back almost immediately. I didn't have time to take my F3 back at the time. I did take it back in to a different dealer just last week and they looked into the problem. BRP told them to try a few other things and if that didn't work to order a new amp. I guess BRP knows there is a speaker crackling problem but it doesn't seem to be wide spread so it's more of case by case basis. My amp will be replaced under warranty and I'm waiting for a call from the dealer. Once they get the new amp in, I will take my Spyder back in. I would suggest keep complaining to your dealer about the issue until BRP authorizes an amp replacement.

Spyder Garage

The first dealer pulled off the speaker contacts and cleaned them, per BRP. The crackling came back almost immediately. I didn't have time to take my F3 back at the time. I did take it back in to a different dealer just last week and they looked into the problem. BRP told them to try a few other things and if that didn't work to order a new amp. I guess BRP knows there is a speaker crackling problem but it doesn't seem to be wide spread so it's more of case by case basis. My amp will be replaced under warranty and I'm waiting for a call from the dealer. Once they get the new amp in, I will take my Spyder back in. I would suggest keep complaining to your dealer about the issue until BRP authorizes an amp replacement.
    I'm not an Expert in Audio, and this is my experience with " crackling ". It is not usually caused by an AMP …. it is generally speaker quality …. If you are listening or trying to listen to FM - crackling usually is caused by signal strength ….. if you are using a device like MP-3 or Ipod and you have " crackling " it's the speakers ….. For my 20114 RT I changed to 2 ohm JBL speakers increasing the rear ones to 5.25" ( from stock size ) and my sound is phenomenal for All criteria. My FM is also great because I switched to a " Bosche " retractable auto antennae - it is even tune-able by changing the height of the rod ….. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your reply! I genuinely hope replacement of the amp will resolve the issue for your F3 and look forward to what you share on that experience with me and us all.

I've shared your reply to my dealer service technician. BRP engineering has told my dealer no other Spyder owner has complained about this "crackling" issue other than myself. I've had four 2018 RT loaners and every single one of them I was able to replicate nearly the identical issue. I accidentally linked the video of the RT loaner rather than my own F3 Spyder's audio system glitches. I'm curious if you can confirm if this is similar to what you heard coming from your F3.

... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Spyder Garage

I'm quite suspicious that an amp replacement would resolve the crackling issue both Skups and I are experiencing. However, BRP engineering has been focusing on resolving this issue with software updates. 18 months in, no software update has resolved the crackling issue for my '18 F3L.

The 2018 and newer Spyders have an entirely different audio/amp system setup from what I've discovered. The former Spyders have a stronger signal lock by comparison and louder volume output as well when the two different years of similar Spyders are side by side. I believe changing the speakers will only reveal more of the retched crackling noise rather than resolve it. This issue almost appears as if there's no protective sheathing in the harness that runs from the dash cluster to the amp/antenna. I made two separate videos of my F3L and an '18 RTL - both produce similar crackling with steering input, when the engine fan kicks on and whenever the volume is above 50% (which is necessary in order to hear it at low rolling speeds) which causing speaker popping at the bass points. BRP engineering believes they can fix this with software which I don't believe is possible, but I'd be happy to be utterly wrong in that assumption.

Edit to add: It's normal for radio listeners to hear some static from weaker signal strength, but nothing like what both videos show which are intrusively disturbing ruining the listening experience. I prefer listening to the radio rather than Bluetooth audio. I've not thoroughly tested the BT setup to see if it does the same thing, but I'm suspecting it probably doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm not an Expert in Audio, and this is my experience with " crackling ". It is not usually caused by an AMP …. it is generally speaker quality …. If you are listening or trying to listen to FM - crackling usually is caused by signal strength ….. if you are using a device like MP-3 or Ipod and you have " crackling " it's the speakers ….. For my 20114 RT I changed to 2 ohm JBL speakers increasing the rear ones to 5.25" ( from stock size ) and my sound is phenomenal for All criteria. My FM is also great because I switched to a " Bosche " retractable auto antennae - it is even tune-able by changing the height of the rod ….. good luck …. Mike
    Last edited by Seattle; 09-10-2019 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Adding more info
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Spyder Garage

Seattle, I just listened to your video's and will share them with the aircraft engineers I work with. Several of them would likely agree that's it's a wire that should have been shielded or some "bleed" over of other signals swamping the audio signal in the harness or at a connector somewhere. The turning the bars static was horrible. Just to verify have you ever found out where the stations are broadcasting from (antenna's not studio) and tested the radio in a fantastic signal area.
    I'd agree with you that speakers are not your solution, though better speakers on all factory spyders is some improvement sound quality and volume wise.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply, Dave. I genuinely hope your colleagues might have a better idea as to the culprit for the ongoing audio system challenges.

I have also suspected the lack of adequate shielding in the wiring harness is causing the interference whenever the steering is turned or engine fan engages. I do find it quite curious that the four different RTL loaners (all brand new) over the past 18 months, including the current new one I'm riding, all experienced identical crackling issues with the steering input and fan powering on, but not all suffered from the radio popping/static on the bass points like my F3L.

I wondered if radio tower signal strength might possibly play a roll in the crackling issues as you elude to. I rotated through several local Seattle radio stations (towers, not studio) to determine if the audio crackling issues would improve or worsen. Unfortunately, it made no difference.

For more information that may or may not be of help to share with your colleagues... I also wondered if ambient temperature might be affecting the issues but as you can see in both videos, the weather for the RTL footage was taken on a hotter day and the F3L on a cooler day thus had no effect. The only aftermarket accessories that my dealer installed at the time of purchase the were Custom Dynamics OEM foglights, LED headlight bulbs, Brightsides safety package #2. I've held off upgrading anything on my F3L for fear BRP will deny repairing the existing issue so everything on the machine is bone stock from factory. The fact the RTL loaners didn't have these LED upgrades and also produced the same issues leads me to believe it's highly unlikely that the LED upgrades the dealer performed has contributed to these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Seattle, I just listened to your video's and will share them with the aircraft engineers I work with. Several of them would likely agree that's it's a wire that should have been shielded or some "bleed" over of other signals swamping the audio signal in the harness or at a connector somewhere. The turning the bars static was horrible. Just to verify have you ever found out where the stations are broadcasting from (antenna's not studio) and tested the radio in a fantastic signal area.
    I'd agree with you that speakers are not your solution, though better speakers on all factory spyders is some improvement sound quality and volume wise.
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")