Spyder Garage

Default Air filter change

I finally tackled the dreaded air filter change on my 14 STS. Actually, the worst part was removing all of the necessary panels and stuff to get to it. Geez, what a tight fit it was though. The factory manual calls for removing most of the entire front components to do the job but I was able to get by with removing the right side panels only. There is a tubular frame member and some wire harnesses in the way, but I was able to pull the front cover far enough away in order to pull out the old one out and replace it with a K&N filter.

The old factory filter was actually very clean looking after almost 2 years and 21K miles.

Next time should be easier.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default congratulations....🎉🎉🎉

Now you know all the tricks and will be a breeze next time....what is the K&N filter clean...50,0000 it may be a while ... it is a great feeling when you concore a job on a spyder....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Have you ever rode it in the rain or on dirt roads? Did you have to remove the mirror? Thinkin bout doin mine at 30 grand.BUT My tec. guy said he would not worry with it until aprox. 50 grand cause most of the ones he pulls out are clean and he knows my machine has never been in the rain or on a dirt rd. Id hate to go thu that mess and the damn thing be clean! LOL TY For this post!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    Have you ever rode it in the rain or on dirt roads? Did you have to remove the mirror? Thinkin bout doin mine at 30 grand.BUT My tec. guy said he would not worry with it until aprox. 50 grand cause most of the ones he pulls out are clean and he knows my machine has never been in the rain or on a dirt rd. Id hate to go thu that mess and the damn thing be clean! LOL TY For this post!
    I will stretch the recommended maintenance in some area's.... But your air filter does and will get dirty over miles of use …. the DIRT is not always of the brown or black kind ….. so what you don't see may hurt you ….. and BRP tends to be on the conservative side for some things & if they say 14,000 mi. there may be a good reason for that …...jmho ….good luck …. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    . there may be a good reason for that …...jmho ….good luck …. Mike
    AND.....they do NOT recommend a high-flow racing type filter for a VERY good reason.

While I generally agree with what you said above, with an air filter it's efficiency does not go down as the miles pile up.
    If anything it filters better.
    And if it does get "clogged" no real harm is done.

If the air filter recommdation is 14K miles, I'm sure that mine will go a LOT longer than that.
    Personal choice.

Spyder Garage

Thanks! They also say to check/adjust the valves at 14 grand to the tune of 2 grand at the dealerships!.BUT.....LOL You know. My tec. guy said hes never tore one down that needed adjustment. Hes been workin on em since the first one rolled into their dealership ten years ago. I love takin care of my machines......BUT Im not into fixin it if it if its not broke. I think cleanin/changin an air filter should NOT be a hard job anyway. BRP Likes makin folks go back to the dealerships.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    AND.....they do NOT recommend a high-flow racing type filter for a VERY good reason.

While I generally agree with what you said above, with an air filter it's efficiency does not go down as the miles pile up.
    If anything it filters better.
    And if it does get "clogged" no real harm is done.

If the air filter recommdation is 14K miles, I'm sure that mine will go a LOT longer than that.
    Personal choice.
    So I'm guessing you buy ….USED FILTERS …. because they are more efficient …. never thought of doing that ...…. just sayin …. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    So I'm guessing you buy ….USED FILTERS …. because they are more efficient …. never thought of doing that ...…. just sayin …. Mike
    SIGH.
    No comment.

Spyder Garage

Just the right side mirror and body panels.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

SIGH.
    No comment.
    Don't let Mikey jerk your chain--all filters including furnace air input filters filter better with "some" use--that's what is says on the box. but looking for a filter with the correct amount of "some use" won't be practical. On my Monster Fuel Injection "Stage 2 upgrade they drilled 2 large holes thru the top air filter cover-thus I'm running with less than "some" :-)
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

SIGH.
    No comment.
    Don't let Mikey jerk your chain--all filters including furnace air input filters filter better with "some" use--that's what is says on the box. but looking for a filter with the correct amount of "some use" won't be practical. On my Monster Fuel Injection "Stage 2 upgrade they driled 2 large holes thru the top air cover-thus I'm running with less than "some" :-)
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Don't let Mikey jerk your chain--all filters including furnace air input filters filter better with "some" use--that's what is says on the box. but looking for a filter with the correct amount of "some use" won't be practical. On my Monster Fuel Injection "Stage 2 upgrade they drilled 2 large holes thru the top air filter cover-thus I'm running with less than "some" :-)
    " jerk your chain " …. read post #5 , to see WHO initiated my comment …… Thanks …. Mike