Spyder Garage

Default Are Spyders allowed on the Amtrak Auto Train?

Looking to go one way between Florida and VA. Has any one had any success with there Spyder on the Auto Train?
    2015 F3 , Gray/Black/Orange

Spyder Garage

I just looked at the Auto Train web site.
    https://www.amtrak.com/route-content...uirements.html
    "Can-Am motorcycles, Rewaco trikes and Polaris Slingshots will not be accepted."

There are other shipping options.
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Spyder Garage

I saw that too. But that was a year ago. i was hoping they have figured it out.
    2015 F3 , Gray/Black/Orange

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aracrash View Post
    I saw that too. But that was a year ago. i was hoping they have figured it out.
    Actually they have it figured out …………. the DEMAND just isn't there to make it worthwhile for them ……. ...…. Mike

Spyder Garage

Think they stopped in 2016 sux, but just another reason to ryde

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's too bad. I was hoping someone at Amtrak recognized the untapped potential of the motorcycling community. Yes we are an independent lot, preferring to ride instead of trailering. But lots of us have limited vacation time and being able to cross country travel with our bikes on the train would let riders experience roads farther afield. It took us 3 days to get from Denver to the Dragon years ago. By train it's 25hrs to Nashville; that gives us 4 additional days of riding time - 2 out and 2 back.

Same could be said for Sturgis, or California etc.

.. lack of vision at Amtrak.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As I recall the back story to this: it really comes down to the types of ramps that they use, and the changes to them, that would be necessary.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    As I recall the back story to this: it really comes down to the types of ramps that they use, and the changes to them, that would be necessary.
    The car to car ramps are right and left only in line with automobile wheel tracks. Since there's no center ramp there is no way to load a Spyder directly into the auto car. Motorcycles are loaded onto flat cars, or wagons, with a wheel track that fits the ramps. The flat cars are equipped with front wheel chocks that are too narrow for the Spyder rear wheel. The Spyder would have to be loaded backwards and even then the fender, mud flap, and hitch if it's there, would interfere with the wheel chocks. Amtrak could do it, but like Mike said the demand probably isn't there. They also won't take Slingshots, and even though it isn't specified, I'm sure they say no to Vanderhalls, Morgans, etc. They will take conventional trikes like H-Ds.

The auto train only operates between Lorton, VA and Sanford, Florida. Obviously they don't see enough demand for the service elsewhere to offer it cross country.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The car to car ramps are right and left only in line with automobile wheel tracks. Since there's no center ramp there is no way to load a Spyder directly into the auto car. Motorcycles are loaded onto flat cars, or wagons, with a wheel track that fits the ramps. The flat cars are equipped with front wheel chocks that are too narrow for the Spyder rear wheel. The Spyder would have to be loaded backwards and even then the fender, mud flap, and hitch if it's there, would interfere with the wheel chocks. Amtrak could do it, but like Mike said the demand probably isn't there. They also won't take Slingshots, and even though it isn't specified, I'm sure they say no to Vanderhalls, Morgans, etc. They will take conventional trikes like H-Ds.

The auto train only operates between Lorton, VA and Sanford, Florida. Obviously they don't see enough demand for the service elsewhere to offer it cross country.
    I'm curious as to HOW a HD trike can work ( 3 wheels ) but not any other 3-wheel veh's ?????? ………….Back to 2 wheel MTC's - these flat cars / wagons …. If they are using them for MTC's why do think they couldn't be used for our Spyder's ????? …….I know the Slingshot has Twice the footprint as a Spyder so a flat car for them would have to be very large & heavy ………… your thoughts …………… Thanks …. Mike