Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default uhg, spyder heading into the shop

I have had an issue with the spyder now where when I apply the brakes at 40 or so MPH and press on it due to cagers, the console scrolls:
    ABS Fault
    Limp home mode
    Check DPS system

The indicators light up the abs, engine flashes and the spyder with squiggle lines around it lights (under the abs light). At first I though hmmm relay? unplugged them all and it went away. Then it happened again. reset the relay. Happened again yesterday, twice, shut off the spyder and turned it on. This cleared everything . This am on my way to work, cager pulled out, applied the brakes to slow down and poof,,, on comes the lights and scrolling. The HUGE issue is that when it happens, the stearing goes dead with no power and it is a hard pull to turn it. Toggled the key off/on and everything but the dps cleared. Even though the dps didnt clear, it was still able to stear with out an issue after the abs stuff went out.

needless to say, called the dealer who told me to check a fuse and they have had issues with the relay box. Im sorry but when I hit the brake and everything goes funky, that tells me there is something wrong with either the abs braking system or the computer controlling the abs. It goes to the shop as soon as I can get it there and they will look at it on monday I guess. Anybody else have this happen?

Spyder Garage

I had a brake fault once but nothing like yours. Mine just required a little topping off of the brake fluid to clear the message. I hope they find and fix your problem quickly.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Did you check your brake fluid level?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

yea,,, brake fluid level is good

How is the DPS system linked into the ABS system. the DPS is for steering, correct? I am trying to think of how when the brake is applied the abs AND DPS system go on the fritz. I am stopping in line so the wheels are straight forward.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Electrical wire too close to the brake linkage - rubbed raw and shorting out when you press the brake pedal?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quantumleap39 View Post
    yea,,, brake fluid level is good

How is the DPS system linked into the ABS system. the DPS is for steering, correct? I am trying to think of how when the brake is applied the abs AND DPS system go on the fritz. I am stopping in line so the wheels are straight forward.
    The two systems would most likely share some sensors. Here's a pretty good explanation from the manual:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

thank you for the explanation on that. This definetly happens when I step on the brake with a good push down. So it is in the brake system for sure. It could be that the brakes need to be bled? as when it does happen they become "squishy" then harden back up again. With the systems linked then it would make sense that the abs is the issue but is linked to the DPS system. Working through how the systems interact, I can see how this is happening now.

The spyder is at the shop, logged in for repair so I shall keep you posted. Thank you though for the print out of that page!

Spyder Garage

Default Just a thought...

If you have not checked it, your parking brake may need adjusting. If it is not in proper adjustment you will get excess brake pedal travel, possibly sending these types of errors. There was a thread about this from an Aussie owner a while back. He wanted the pedal to be farther down, dealer made the adjustment, spyder went crazy and it took several months to nail down that when the pedal travel goes to far down, the system freaks out. They readjusted it to the standard position and all was well with his ride!
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike3069 View Post
    If you have not checked it, your parking brake may need adjusting. If it is not in proper adjustment you will get excess brake pedal travel, possibly sending these types of errors. There was a thread about this from an Aussie owner a while back. He wanted the pedal to be farther down, dealer made the adjustment, spyder went crazy and it took several months to nail down that when the pedal travel goes to far down, the system freaks out. They readjusted it to the standard position and all was well with his ride!
    I thought that was when he adjusted his regular brake pedal to sit lower...or am I thinking of a different post? Standard brake pedal cannot be lowered without goofing up the brake switches. That gives the computer a hissy.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quantumleap39 View Post
    I have had an issue with the spyder now where when I apply the brakes at 40 or so MPH and press on it due to cagers, the console scrolls:
    ABS Fault
    Limp home mode
    Check DPS system

The indicators light up the abs, engine flashes and the spyder with squiggle lines around it lights (under the abs light). At first I though hmmm relay? unplugged them all and it went away. Then it happened again. reset the relay. Happened again yesterday, twice, shut off the spyder and turned it on. This cleared everything . This am on my way to work, cager pulled out, applied the brakes to slow down and poof,,, on comes the lights and scrolling. The HUGE issue is that when it happens, the stearing goes dead with no power and it is a hard pull to turn it. Toggled the key off/on and everything but the dps cleared. Even though the dps didnt clear, it was still able to stear with out an issue after the abs stuff went out.

needless to say, called the dealer who told me to check a fuse and they have had issues with the relay box. Im sorry but when I hit the brake and everything goes funky, that tells me there is something wrong with either the abs braking system or the computer controlling the abs. It goes to the shop as soon as I can get it there and they will look at it on monday I guess. Anybody else have this happen?
    first let me thank you for making feel a little more "normal" having also suffered from a series of Brake issues. You can look up my postings, cause I don't want to be repetitive (did I spell that right?). Mostly I want to give you a "bright side"...your bike is not constantly scrolling the words BRAKE FAILURE...which means that everytime you look down you don't catch a view of your bike calling you a FAILURE...FAILURE...over and over again.
    My bike is in the shop now, calling someone else a failure.......yeah the same mechanics that have been trying to fix it the last few times ...ha all failures....when does the movie start ? And how soon afterward do we start drinking? PS I am bringing a designated driver and I will let him know about the designated thing after I get there.
    Carol Smead
    2010 RTS Blue, gone but not forgotten
    Former owner of 2008 PE #1032 Yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

update on this issue!!

I called my dealer and he as 3 other spyders all with the same issue!!!! they are doing updates to the spyders and working with BRP. they have a few updates and are figuring out which one to insert and any thing else that needs to be done. Has anybody heard of these updates?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I thought that was when he adjusted his regular brake pedal to sit lower...or am I thinking of a different post? Standard brake pedal cannot be lowered without goofing up the brake switches. That gives the computer a hissy.
    -Scotty
    That's correct Scotty. Adjusting it down made the system think that there was to much pedal travel. As the pads wear the pedal travels farther and if you do not adjust the parking brake (witch shortens the pedal throw), you will eventually hit that point where the sensor is triggered, as it is designed. My reference to the other post was that this condition was first experienced by the fellow that changed the brake pedal positioning, and his symptoms were similar to the one's discussed here, indicating that excessive pedal travel could be at least part of the issue.

Hope this helps.

Mike
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner