Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ski product idea - DIY

At almost 72 I like to be comfortable ( as possible ) ….. I contracted Frost Bite decades ago and have solved that issue a few threads back …… gone are the days when " just tough it out " or don't be a Wimp " are long gone ….. I think I may have come up with a way to keep your FACE warm especially on windy very cold days ….. I have tried both a half-face mask and a couple of Balaclava's ….. they work - until they get WET from your own breath and then Freeze to your face …… so what I believe will work is using the mouthpiece from a SNORKEL ( the kind you swim with ) …. No tube just the mouth - piece …. thru a hole in the mask or balaclava …. I may even attach some ( very ) flexible hose and direct down into my jacket ( that could supply warm air also ) …… any thoughts folks …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Love that idea. I may try it.
    Five more states to go in the Continental USA. Hope to get there soon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueF3Ltd View Post
    Love that idea. I may try it.
    Look on E-bay under " snorkels " if you scroll thru far enough you will find sellers of JUST the Mouth-piece $ 1.15 and up … w/free delivery ………….Mike ...……...PS if you have REALLY cold hand issues I can help with that also ……

Spyder Garage

I would think you’d get tired of biting down on the mouthpiece but it’s worth trying. I think you’ll get more interesting looks if you go full snorkel though!
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I like the full snorkel idea. Like the ones we had as kids. Had a little cage with a ping pong ball that sealed the hole when going underwater..... Seriously, Mike, your idea sounds great. Thinking out of the box is fun. Many, many.....many years ago I started skiing with my dads' WW2 lambs wool lined leather flight hat. The kind that had ear flaps that attached under the chin. It was a hoot to come flying down the slopes with those ear flaps flapping in the wind. I think I started a new fad on our local slopes..... Looked goofy but effective..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    I would think you’d get tired of biting down on the mouthpiece but it’s worth trying. I think you’ll get more interesting looks if you go full snorkel though!
    " Full snorkel " ………… I don't think I'm really going to HAVE to bite down …. You do that in water because ingesting water is a problem … ingesting Air around the edges is fine ….. This mouth -piece will also act as a Guard in case of a Face Plant ( I think it will help prevent teeth damage ) …. And as far as getting noticed … My HIPPO Hand Muffs already do that …. Since I have been using them more than a few other skier's ( while on the chair lift ) have said " if you need them - use them "………. last week I saw another skier with a pair, I think I told Her about them …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I like the full snorkel idea. Like the ones we had as kids. Had a little cage with a ping pong ball that sealed the hole when going underwater..... Seriously, Mike, your idea sounds great. Thinking out of the box is fun. Many, many.....many years ago I started skiing with my dads' WW2 lambs wool lined leather flight hat. The kind that had ear flaps that attached under the chin. It was a hoot to come flying down the slopes with those ear flaps flapping in the wind. I think I started a new fad on our local slopes..... Looked goofy but effective..... Jim
    Good on you …. Thinking out of the Box is where I live, especially on the Spyders ……. I have a natural rabbit fur hat with ear muffs that I used to wear ( super warm ) ….. but now I'm main stream and wear a helmet ( for lots of reasons ) …. I usually wear a Balaclava under it so it's good in all ways..... When My Helmet arrived ( in Oct. ) I was very surprised how light weight it was …. it is a type certified by some ski assoc. , so I hope it works as designed …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Does work....

Gives a whole new meaning to the breath of life when you exhale into your jacket...and a little vaseline will help keep things from freezing to you. The snorkel mouth piece is a great idea....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Come ski out west, where we do have days we call snorkle days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GMDrv9R1pc
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know if I'd direct your breaths into your suit. I wouldn't want to introduce moisture under the jacket.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I don't know if I'd direct your breaths into your suit. I wouldn't want to introduce moisture under the jacket.
    You're exactly right. Breathing into a jacket is not a good idea.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!