Spyder Garage

Default JT Air Filter Mod... Modded

I purchased and installed a JT Air Filter mod for my 2008 GS Spyder. This mod will fit any SM5/SE5 Spyder (2008-2016).

It is pretty well known that the stock air box on these model Spyders is a real obstacle to any top end maintenance. Including changing the air filter, spark plug wires and spark plugs. It is pretty restrictive for air flow as well. Plus, this giant box pretty much completely occupies the air space above and around the engine making for a very hot environment in and around the engine compartment. A K&N 50k service air filter helps with air filter maintenance and air flow restriction issues. But you still have that humongous air box to deal with.

You have to understand that the OEM air box's primary purpose is noise reduction, and many other things were sacrificed to achieve this. There were numerous, better options which the BRP engineers could have utilized if efficiently filtering as much air as possible were the primary function they wanted to achieve.

The JT Air Filter Kit provides a great option and cures a lot of ill's. However, everything is a trade-off, and every component has it upside and its down-side. With the JT Air Filter Kit it is additional noise. Some people love the awesome sound made by the intake system. Some don't. I highly recommend the optional foam Pre-Filter. This not only helps the primary filter to last longer. It also reduces intake noise. There is about twice the square inch filter medium with the JT setup as with the OEM filter. And the foam pre-filter isn't going to impact air intake/flow in any appreciable manner.

I did make 1 modification to the JT product. I believe that at least some of the increased noise will be generated from the air, at high velocity, going over the sharp edges on the intake plate. So I cut the intake vortex off of my stock air cleaner, sanded it flat and even on my belt sander, drilled a hole in the center for the mounting bolt and applied a bit of high temp silicone sealant to the bottom of it to make an air-tight seal to the intake plate. This will smooth the air flow, eliminate the sharp edge and theoretically flow more air.

Will any of my additional efforts make a difference? Who knows. I have not had the chance to try it out yet. It won't curb any of the throttle body throat noise. But I enjoyed the process and who knows? It might actually make a difference! Can't hurt!

JT Air1.jpg

JT Air2.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-11-2019 at 01:28 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

The intake bells will help flow more air. If you want to truly gain see if Sudco has velocity stacks of the proper dimensions.

You would do even better to fabricate a simple full near full height wall between the two throttle bodies to reduce air inlet eddies from the intake pulses.

Spyder Garage

Interesting idea Ron. I may give it a try the next time I'm in that area. Please keep this post updated as the experience evolves.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

I took my JT conversion off after 1 riding season.

It was too darn noisy, especially when the throttle was opened. It barked very loudly.

I wear earplugs & still found it offensive. Very happy with my OEM airbox back on.

I had the foam pre filter on.

Each to his own I guess.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

OLD Goat, did you sell that JT Conversion or do you still have it. Someone's asking in the Want to Buy forum.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Improving the performance of any Spyder by normal methods ie. more air , free flow exhaust etc.is IMHO a waste of time. …. The computers in your Spyder will ADJUST to any of these things ( including high octane gas ). The exception is the ECU re-map.... because that will change the parameters of the stock computer settings..... of course this is my Opinion ….. anyone who can show/prove otherwise ….I'm all ears ….. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Improving the performance of any Spyder by normal methods ie. more air , free flow exhaust etc.is IMHO a waste of time. …. The computers in your Spyder will ADJUST to any of these things ( including high octane gas ). The exception is the ECU re-map.... because that will change the parameters of the stock computer settings..... of course this is my Opinion ….. anyone who can show/prove otherwise ….I'm all ears ….. good luck …. Mike
    I had a customer who had a friend with a chassis dyno. He changed all kinds of things like air filter (removed the OEM box), exhaust, fuel management system, spark plug wires, etc. He even did some runs to see if a change in spark plug gap made a difference. He got some worthwhile numbers out of each mod. Not huge, of course. But more than I thought was possible. I wish I had kept all of the data he sent me.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    OLD Goat, did you sell that JT Conversion or do you still have it. Someone's asking in the Want to Buy forum.
    Sold it here last year.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

will try that mod out and see if I see or hear a difference. 'ing to see your results....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black