Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Priced Out...

Spyder Garage

Default Priced Out...

Really want a Ryker Rally, but looks like I'll be priced-out. Below are two quotes from my local dealership...one regular price, and one discounted (Veteran's -5%).

I built and sent them my dream Rally with every accessory I'd want installed. I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but have read enough threads here and watched enough YouTube vids, I could shave another $930 off of the accessories and do the installs myself. The Additional Dealer Markup (ADM) plus the Labor for accessory install is $3,168.00...yikes! Was also a bit surprised at the cost of the BEST extended warranty ($1,986 for 3yr or $2,410 for 4yr), which if purchased, would only tack on more cost.

I'm a cash buyer, but was hoping to get out the door for around $15,000...no way the dealer will come down that far. Also not happy they wont be getting the Rally's until June. Any thoughts where I could knock down the price?

I have another dealership yet to contact, so maybe there's hope for a better deal with them.

Okay, I'm done whining...

Rally 900 MSRP: 10,999.00
    Accessories: 2,284.85
    ADM: 1,980.00
    CA Sales Tax: 1,189.53
    CA Tire Disposal Fee: 5.25
    CA Doc Fee: 85.00
    License & Reg: 257.00
    Total: 16,800.63
    Labor to Install: 1,188.00 (12Hrs @ 99.00/Hr)
    Grand Total: 17,988.63

Rally 900 Discounted MSRP: 10,449.05
    Accessories (Discounted): 2,056.37
    ADM: 1,980.00
    CA Sales Tax: 1,129.20
    CA Doc Fee: 85.00
    License & Reg: 242.00
    Total: 15,946.87
    Labor to Install: 1,188.00 (12Hrs @ 99.00/Hr)
    Grand Total: 17,134.87
    Total Savings: 853.76

48 Month B.E.S.T. Warranty: 2,410.00
    36 Month B.E.S.T. Warranty: 1,986.00

ETA for the Can Am Ryker Rally 900 is June of 2019. We currently have 3 deposits for the Ryker. To ensure a vehicle on our first delivery, we will require a 500.00 deposit.

Spyder Garage

I just purchased a B.E.S.T. Three year extended warranty on my 2016 RTL for $670.00 from Sierra Cycles. You don't have to be purchase the EXTENDED warranty from your dealer. You don't have to buy the extenedwarranty until just before your factory warranty is about to expire. I would also save the install fees by buying your addons one at a time and installing them yourself.
    2016 RTL , Stock Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    I just purchased a B.E.S.T. Three year extended warranty on my 2016 RTL for $670.00 from Sierra Cycles. You don't have to be purchase the EXTENDED warranty from your dealer. You don't have to buy the extenedwarranty until just before your factory warranty is about to expire. I would also save the install fees by buying your addons one at a time and installing them yourself.

Also, try Imotorsports. They will ship to your door. They may even give you a 15% discount on accessories. When I purchased my 2015 RTS, that is what they did for me.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree, get the bike and add things one at a time.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post

Also, try Imotorsports. They will ship to your door. They may even give you a 15% discount on accessories. When I purchased my 2015 RTS, that is what they did for me.
    I think California is a little touchy about vehicles from out of state.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That warranty is way out there IMO. Shop around you may get it cheap someplace else..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seanyradar View Post

WTF, Tire Disposal Fee, that is a new time not a replacement tire. Wow California is weird.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The OP lives in Kalifornia and they don't allow this to occur …………. fact not fiction ….. Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Price issues for Ryker

To the OP , …. California is very expensive to have Motor Veh's ….. it's just the way it is unfortunately …. It' still to early to find a USED Ryker with 7000 mi + on it so you can LEGALLY register it there …… But that should change soon ….You might want to contact IMotorsports and get on a waiting list for a used one ( seriously )…….That would be cheaper than moving …… good luck with your dream ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The OP lives in Kalifornia and they don't allow this to occur …………. fact not fiction ….. Mike
    Living in the midwest always sounds better when comparing to the west coast, weather notwithstanding! I like my freedom!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I drop by here every once in a while, and check out the "What's New" link. If anyone is interested, it's posts like this one that make it clear I just don't belong here.
    I'll try not to let the door hit me.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that you have been priced out of your "dream Ryker." The issues with California and pricing are a problem.

There are many dealers that will do much better...but the California rules are surely not user friendly.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    WTF, Tire Disposal Fee, that is a new time not a replacement tire. Wow California is weird.
    We've had that in Quebec for years.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post
    I drop by here every once in a while, and check out the "What's New" link. If anyone is interested, it's posts like this one that make it clear I just don't belong here.
    I'll try not to let the door hit me.
    If a particular person bothers you, then you can put them on "ignore."
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-16-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Question: were they negotiable at all on price? What did you do for Tax title license? Did you finance through them?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Walk into the dealer with a check for $15,154.00, find the Mgr. Hand him the check and your list. Point to the Ryker you want and tell him either the Ryker the way you want it or the Check back. Tell him you are going to be back in an hour for his decision as you are going to lunch.

Always deal in person.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Additional Dealer Markup......? WTF.....? (What's That For)
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Old Timer...I like it! Might give that a try. I've used similar tactics over a car before.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin View Post
    Question: were they negotiable at all on price? What did you do for Tax title license? Did you finance through them?
    I haven't purchased yet. That was their first offer...will have to see what we can do face-to-face with the manager. TT&L was in the price breakdown posted above. I'm a cash buyer...don't need financing.

Apologies nchangin...I thought you were addressing those questions to me. I misread your post...sorry.
    Last edited by seanyradar; 02-16-2019 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Misunderstanding

Spyder Garage

I purchased my 900 Ryker from a dealer in PHX AZ called NASH Powersports. I received a discount of over $1000 off the purchase of the Ryker. As well, my 3 year extended was about $850.00. Also received a discount off of the windshield. The shipping and set up for the unit was also vastly lower than the other guys in Phoenix. Customer service as well as the team in the shop were awesome. I recommend anyone in AZ who is considering purchasing a Ryker to reach out to NASH Powersports ( MESA AZ ).

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

You are with them for sure.... but you may have to travel a bit to find the right deal. All dealers are not alike so shop around a bit more in other towns....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    They figure you're going to replace the tires sooner or later, even if your not in California at the time. They just want to make sure they don't miss out on anything.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Additional Dealer Markup......? WTF.....? (What's That For)
    That allows the dealer to add an additional two grand to their profit line.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

1. Don’t pay ADM. 2. Don’t buy 2500 worth of accessories

Spyder Garage

I have put this advice in a few prior posts.

Keep in mind the special K issues.

Buying a Spyder/Ryker is just like buying a car.

What you need to look at is the "out the door" price. Everything else is flexible. You may be able to dicker on one thing but not another...always keep in mind...what is that doing to my OTD price?

There is NO fixed MSRP and NO fixed trade in price.

Those are the first places to begin.

Accessories: All accessories are over priced for a reason. Some dealers try to get full price AND then charge you extra to install them. I get a discount on the accessories (especially if I buy a lot of them), l always get a discount on the install.

Extended BEST Warranty: It can be purchased a lot cheaper elsewhere. $700 is a good ballpark. You do NOT have to buy the warranty from the selling dealer. You have until the original warranty is about to expire.

The extended warranties are always overpriced. The salesman gets a commission for selling it to you. Some companies are more greedy than others.

Financing: Shop around. Get the dealers rate...go elsewhere to see if you can "beat" the rate. Have that "in the bag" so you can pull it out if you have to. Don't tell dealer that you will finance elsewhere. That is a bargaining chip on your pile. Do get pre-approved elsewhere...just in case.

Beware of "dealer reserve." Dealer quotes you the financing rate as X. He gets a special deal from the bank as Y. The difference between X & Y...the dealer gets a check from the bank. You pay for it on the financing contract.

Set up and administration fees: I call a large BS on this. All these do is add an extra profit on the contract (for the dealer). I don't pay them...on cars or on the five spyders I have purchased.

Tax, license, registration: A reasonable fee like $25 to $40 should suffice. They enter the information and push the button on the computer. Done. Not worth $200 like some charge.

Just like car buying...Caveat Emptor. Go in prepared and have some fun with it. Both my car dealer and my spyder dealer cringe when they see I'M BACK.

You wont get the same deals on Ryker as Spyder...since Ryker is low end. The above still applies with a loaded Ryker and extras...like warranty.

With $18K being charged for an $11K machine...I guarantee there is a LOT for the dealer to play with here. He needs YOU more than you need THEM.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-16-2019 at 06:49 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red