Thread: K&N Filter

Spyder Garage

Default K&N Filter

Anyone put one on yet. Looking to get one soon. Can not wait for more aftermarket items to come out( waiting impatiently).

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jasons900Ryker View Post
    Anyone put one on yet. Looking to get one soon. Can not wait for more aftermarket items to come out( waiting impatiently).
    I don't know which Spyder you have ….. but K&N makes them for all the Spyders … I have had three for different spyders ..liked them all ……. because of their longevity …. not for performance ( unless you get your ECU re-programmed ie. Monster Fuel ) the Spyder computers will cancel any free breathing you achieve with a High Flow filter...… a Fact not my opinion …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jasons900Ryker View Post
    Not gonna get you any more performance -Only more things to clean because people tend to Over oil them (Like Over torguing Bolts) and the result is negative performance gain and even performance lose?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I don't know which Spyder you have ….. but K&N makes them for all the Spyders … I have had three for different spyders ..liked them all ……. because of their longevity …. not for performance ( unless you get your ECU re-programmed ie. Monster Fuel ) the Spyder computers will cancel any free breathing you achieve with a High Flow filter...… a Fact not my opinion …… Mike
    Hey blueknight...I saw what you did..giving a shout out to monster fuel..yes ... monster fuel... rocks the the house.

Spyder Garage

Well to be truthful it wasn't meant to be " a shout out "..... It is the re-mapping of the ECU that makes the performance work …. Jass in Australia does similar ( expensive to ship tho ) …. and new Commander sounds promising but I don't know much about their product ……. just sayin …. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In the interests of an informed debate..............

https://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post

Yes, multiple tests have been done.......over maybe 20 years or so......and the conclusion is always the same.
    Like most racing products, they don't perform well on the street.
    But K&N has to sell them to stay in business.

Informed decisions are always good.
    Alas, it happens too infrequently.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post

Great article exposing K&N filters for the danger to service life that they are.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oil bath filters were efficient back in the fifties,pretty sure K@N would go broke promoting that style now.Far better to rely on the ''free lunch'' marketing angle to survive these days.

complex-oil-bath-air-filter.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have never been a fan of or used a K&N, as their filtering or air flow improvement is a myth as Cobweb pointed out in his link above. My impression is based on being involved in the business since the early 70's and fielding very successful racing and performance programs in both the USA and Europe since then.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

The part number for the Ryker engine and CVT intake air filter is 707800306. It is the same part number as the 2010-2013 Spyders. There is an aftermarket Filter for the Spyders available on Amazon for roughly 1/2 of the Can-Am part. https://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-Spyder...ords=707800306.
    I don't know anything about the aftermarket filter but it might represent an economical alternative.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been up/down and in/out and all over this K&N issue. We/I keep and run our vehicles for as much as 10 years or more and I've used K&N air filters in all of them. If you read K&N claims, performance does not occur until 6k RPM is reached. Well, my wife's car has never reached 6k RPM in it's life. None of her cars have, so that's one down. The second attribute K&N puts forth is longevity, which I find to be true if directions are followed carefully. Example; running your car for about 300k (10 +or- years) and changing the air filter every service interval, it will end up costing approximately $1,200 for filters over that period of time. So, the only real benefit I've found is that if you have the means to clean and re-oil your filter properly, saving money is a gain. That's a one up for K&N. I might add that I've never incurred an engine failure do to the use of a K&N air filter, and I've never noticed a gain or loss of fuel millage. One caution to be aware of, if, you have your vehicle serviced at a dealership or any of the many independent service businesses, watch that they don't toss your K&N air filter and replace it with a paper filter.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I've been up/down and in/out and all over this K&N issue. We/I keep and run our vehicles for as much as 10 years or more and I've used K&N air filters in all of them. If you read K&N claims, performance does not occur until 6k RPM is reached. Well, my wife's car has never reached 6k RPM in it's life. None of her cars have, so that's one down. The second attribute K&N puts forth is longevity, which I find to be true if directions are followed carefully. Example; running your car for about 300k (10 +or- years) and changing the air filter every service interval, it will end up costing approximately $1,200 for filters over that period of time. So, the only real benefit I've found is that if you have the means to clean and re-oil your filter properly, saving money is a gain. That's a one up for K&N. I might add that I've never incurred an engine failure do to the use of a K&N air filter, and I've never noticed a gain or loss of fuel millage. One caution to be aware of, if, you have your vehicle serviced at a dealership or any of the many independent service businesses, watch that they don't toss your K&N air filter and replace it with a paper filter.
    …...to me this makes the most sense ……… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sure the stock filter would flow more than enough air for most purposes.
    Every time you clean a K@N you are breaking down it's structure to a small degree.
    Trying to 'save' money on this vital maintenance part is Russian roulette and up there with using el cheapo oil.
    Marketing is a powerfull force as is peer group pressure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    One caution to be aware of, if, you have your vehicle serviced at a dealership or any of the many independent service businesses, watch that they don't toss your K&N air filter and replace it with a paper filter.
    On my Mustang, when I started using a performance air filter, it came with a sticker that I put on the cover that said something like, "Don't throw this air filter away" or thereabouts.
    2019 900 Rally Edition , Black w/Yellow Panels

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes i know..........

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTRyker View Post
    On my Mustang, when I started using a performance air filter, it came with a sticker that I put on the cover that said something like, "Don't throw this air filter away" or thereabouts.

One of my first K&N's got tossed by someone in Jiffy Lube when my wife took her car in for service. The air cleaner lid had the K&N sticker on it but it did not deter some dunce from throwing away our $$$ K&N. Our lesson (loss) well learned. Just food for thought here about Jiffy Lube and others like them. My little cousin took her car to a quick lube and ended up with a quart of oil in her windshield washer reservoir. Go figure on that one!