Thread: Bluetooth or cb

Spyder Garage

Default Bluetooth or cb

Recently bought a 2012 rt limited. Has cb and Bluetooth already on it. Should what would be the better option, hardwired helmet or Bluetooth helmet? Any recommendations on which bluetooth headsets?
    2012 Rt limited , Lava bronze metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wired helmets don't have a battery to keep charged.
    The system is not equipped to do bluetooth helmets and an adapter would be needed.

Spyder Garage

I recommend the Cardo Scala Rider Packtalk for bluetooth communication. That is what I'l be getting when I upgrade from the G9.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

did you get the wired headsets when you bought your RT? If so then you should be good to go and Bluetooth is not needed. If you need head sets you will need them either way to use the CB and the intercom that comes with the cb. Since you are already wired for them I would go with wired headsets. I think you will need 2 Bluetooth adapters plus BT headsets to work with the cb. The standard BT adapter does not have a transmit feature for the cb.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

No, headsets didn't come with the bike so we are looking at getting them. Wasn't sure which way to go. I'm used to dual sports not touring bikes.

Spyder Garage

On our 2012 RTL we have the wired system to the helmet headsets. They work quite well and no problems yet.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How do you know I had bluetooth? If it has a CB then there is no need for BT. If you have BT then all you'll be able to do with it is beaten to m music. The CB wouldn't work.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Know it has blue tooth because the box was in the frunk when I got it. Found the dongle mounted in the frunk under the carpet

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Campkayakers717w View Post
    Know it has blue tooth because the box was in the frunk when I got it. Found the dongle mounted in the frunk under the carpet
    "The box"? The Sena dongle is not boxy and only transmits music to bluetooth headsets. Sena also makes BT dongles for Harleys and Hondas that replaces the headset cable but don't think it works on the spyders. This is what they look like. If you want to use the CB you'll need cabled headsets.

fullsizeoutput_14ed.jpeg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    How do you know I had bluetooth? If it has a CB then there is no need for BT. If you have BT then all you'll be able to do with it is beaten to m music. The CB wouldn't work.
    Not sure what you are trying to say but lots of Spyders have CB and Bluetooth connections. I have set up several that way myself. Even set up some to use BT helmets to converse on the CB radio to avoid the cables dangling from helmets. With the right SENA headsets, they even work simultaneously.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

"The box"? The Sena dongle is not boxy and only transmits music to bluetooth headsets. Sena also makes BT dongles for Harleys and Hondas that replaces the headset cable but don't think it works on the spyders. This is what they look like. If you want to use the CB you'll need cabled headsets.

fullsizeoutput_14ed.jpeg
    Just FYI, the sena CB interface module looks almost the same. BT helmets can works with CB just fine. No need for wired helmets.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Not sure what you are trying to say but lots of Spyders have CB and Bluetooth connections. I have set up several that way myself. Even set up some to use BT helmets to converse on the CB radio to avoid the cables dangling from helmets. With the right SENA headsets, they even work simultaneously.
    With BRP OEM CB? How?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    With BRP OEM CB? How?
    Instead of plugging a headset cord into the supplied CB connector, you plug in a (custom?) BlueTooth adapter ??
    I would think that would give you full headset functionality......CB, AM/FM and GPS......and maybe intercom and phone too.

Spyder Garage

The SENA bluetooth CB interface module plugs in to the head set port or wiring harness. Same way it works with J&M CB / wired headsets.

Yes, you would have CB, Music, phone and intercom all in one headset.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Flamewinger yes the box. The box the dongle came in. As I also said I found the dongle mounted under the carpet in the frunk.

Spyder Garage

The SENA bluetooth CB interface module plugs in to the head set port or wiring harness. Same way it works with J&M CB / wired headsets.

Yes, you would have CB, Music, phone and intercom all in one headset.
    Are you referring to the Sena Freewire or the SR10? The SR10 isn't stereo so I don't think you would use that one. Where do you get the cable that goes from the module to the bike headset connector? The Sena web site doesn't show one for a Spyder. All they show is a cable for Harley and Goldwing for the Freewire and cables for handheld CBs for the SR10. The Harley cable would probably work but you'd have to rearrange the headset connector pin out. A Google search shows a hit for a Sena document about making your own cable for the SR10 but the link is no good. And you are talking about connecting the BRP CB to a BT helmet headset, right?

I've just spent a couple of hours Googling for the appropriate module to the Spyder headset connector cable but have come up totally empty. If you've got all this figured where have you been the past couple of years when this issue has been discussed before?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Campkayakers717w View Post
    Flamewinger yes the box. The box the dongle came in. As I also said I found the dongle mounted under the carpet in the frunk.
    I'm a little confused. The Bluetooth dongle, like what is used on a Goldwing, replaces the headset cable - so how does the BT dongle in the frunk connect to the headset plug where you would plug a cabled headset into on the spyder as that is close to the rider/passenger? For spyders with no CB the Sena SM10 pipes music and sounds to a BT headset and is in the frunk. The SR10 works for CB's and FRS radios. I'm not sure either Sena BT for Harleys or Goldwings work on spyders and if it does it should plug into where you would plug a headset cable into. Wouldn't it?
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I'm a little confused. The Bluetooth dongle, like what is used on a Goldwing, replaces the headset cable - so how does the BT dongle in the frunk connect to the headset plug where you would plug a cabled headset into on the spyder as that is close to the rider/passenger? For spyders with no CB the Sena SM10 pipes music and sounds to a BT headset and is in the frunk. The SR10 works for CB's and FRS radios. I'm not sure either Sena BT for Harleys or Goldwings work on spyders and if it does it should plug into where you would plug a headset cable into. Wouldn't it?
    Yes. What you're discussing are three different BT dongles, the SM10 for audio from the radio only, the SR10 for handheld CBs, and the Freewire to replace the corded headset. The headset connector for the Spyder and Harley are the same physical configuration but different pinouts. I think it would be fairly easy to make a 7 pin male to 7 pin female DIN adapter to reconfigure the connections from the H-D Freewire cable to match the Spyder pinout. Another possibility would be to take the harness connector for the headset connector and rearrange the pins on it and make the Spyder headset connector pinout match the H-D pinout.

I think I'll send an email to Ed at Edsets.com and see if he can come up with a cable or adapter to use the Freewire on a Spyder.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Are you referring to the Sena Freewire or the SR10? The SR10 isn't stereo so I don't think you would use that one. Where do you get the cable that goes from the module to the bike headset connector? The Sena web site doesn't show one for a Spyder. All they show is a cable for Harley and Goldwing for the Freewire and cables for handheld CBs for the SR10. The Harley cable would probably work but you'd have to rearrange the headset connector pin out. A Google search shows a hit for a Sena document about making your own cable for the SR10 but the link is no good. And you are talking about connecting the BRP CB to a BT helmet headset, right?

I've just spent a couple of hours Googling for the appropriate module to the Spyder headset connector cable but have come up totally empty. If you've got all this figured where have you been the past couple of years when this issue has been discussed before?
    Yes, the SR10 is the CB radio interface module. Just like for J&M CB radios/headsets, you will have to use the SENA pigtail cable and add the round DIN connector to the other end yourself (or have a competent tech do it for you) SENA does not make a premade cable for the Spyders. CB radio is not stereo and thus why the SR10 is not either. The SENA headset sees the SR10 as a phone connection. If you also want stereo music from the bike (and higher fidelity for the music) you would also need a SENA SM10 module. A SENA headset can link to both at the same time although many find it easier to link the headset directly to a phone for music rather than to the bike. Both ways work.

I have posted about this before but it was more specific to the J&M CB radio rather than the BRP but the headset connection is very similar. I did one for a BRP radio for a customer install and it worked fine. My wife has the J&M/SENA setup on her F3.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I did one for a BRP radio for a customer install and it worked fine.
    Did you do just the CB for them? According to BRP instructions and Motorcycle Dave you cannot have the CB and SM10 both connected to the bike radio. You have to have one or the other, or did you tap into the audio line out wires and split the audio signal from the radio to both the SM10 and CB? Or did you disconnect the audio feed that went from the radio to the CB unit and connect it to the SM10? I can see how that would work. You have bike radio audio going to the SM10 instead of the CB since you don't need it going both ways and you still maintain the radio control of the CB.

But the whole rigamarole would be easier if we just had a Freewire cable that would plug into the headset connector!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I honestly do not remember for sure where I got the audio connection for the SM10 but vaguely remember using the rear speakers and a line level adaptor to feed it. But that could have been a different bike and different reason.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame