Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Spyders

Spyder Garage

Default New to Spyders

Hey all. We are going to purchase a Spyder this summer for my wife. She is interested in an automatic. We have been riding 2 up for years on my R1150GS. Oilheads are the only bike I really know about. Is there any particular years or models that we should stay away from? Also, anything that we should be looking for, listening for or testing when looking at them? Thank you very much.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

Well..... are you looking for used or new..?? are you looking at semi-automatic or full automatic...?? and then the best advice as always is go to the dealer and test the different models for yourself. You have the RT semi-auto, the F3 semi-auto and the new Ryker full automatic. All come with the 1330 cc triple with a
    900 triple and 600 parallel twin in the ryker. Price is also in that sequence...RT, F3, Ryker....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Welcome from VA.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Well..... are you looking for used or new..?? are you looking at semi-automatic or full automatic...?? and then the best advice as always is go to the dealer and test the different models for yourself. You have the RT semi-auto, the F3 semi-auto and the new Ryker full automatic. All come with the 1330 cc triple with a
    900 triple and 600 parallel twin in the ryker. Price is also in that sequence...RT, F3, Ryker....

We are looking at used. Our budget is between $10,000 - $12,000 cash. As far as transmission goes, either semi or full auto is good. My biggest concern was if there were any known issues that slipped through quality control. For example there is one Transmission for the R1150GS that BMW decided to make the output shaft to short. Thanks all and thanks for the welcome.

Spyder Garage

What type of riding do you want it for... around town & short day trips or multi-day long distance touring? This could be the difference between a Ryker, F3 series and a RT series trike.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Rider View Post
    What type of riding do you want it for... around town & short day trips or multi-day long distance touring? This could be the difference between a Ryker, F3 series and a RT series trike.

During the week is just short little trips in the evenings after work, on the weekends we can disappear for 12 hours or more in upstate New York or wherever. We were looking at videos on the Ryker and she definitely didn't like how small it was. I just want to be sure that what ever model we buy that it can last a very long time. Also, is the maintenance pretty straight forward on a Spyder? Again as an example I do the swing arm bearings, slave cylinder, valve adjustment, throttle body sync and other miscellaneous items every so often on my bike. Just wanting to get first hand opinions from Spyder owners. Thanks all.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree with the question: "What kind of riding will you do?" You could get into a new Ryker around $8500 for a 600cc model or $9999 for a 900. The advantage is having a warranty. The disadvantage is the jury is still out on long range touring or any flaws. A used older Spyder will have no warranty and the twin engines are more maintenance intensive. If you are interested in the bikes with the 1330 triple engine, you may be able to find a nice F3S in your price range. Here's one:https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Can-Am...2:pf:0&vxp=mtr
    Here is another:https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Many-upgrades!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I agree with the question: "What kind of riding will you do?" You could get into a new Ryker around $8500 for a 600cc model or $9999 for a 900. The advantage is having a warranty. The disadvantage is the jury is still out on long range touring or any flaws. A used older Spyder will have no warranty and the twin engines are more maintenance intensive. If you are interested in the bikes with the 1330 triple engine, you may be able to find a nice F3S in your price range. Here's one:https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Can-Am...2:pf:0&vxp=mtr
    Here is another:https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Many-upgrades!

The one thing my wife really didn't like about the Ryker is, you don't get the trunk up front like the other models and she wanted a little more size. She does like the F3's.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sbct View Post
    The one thing my wife really didn't like about the Ryker is, you don't get the trunk up front like the other models and she wanted a little more size. She does like the F3's.
    My wife has the F3 Limited and likes it way more than the RT. You can always add a trunk and saddlebag(s) to the Ryker or F3. The Semi-Auto or SE trans shifts up with a paddle near the left grip. It does downshift on it's own. The Ryker is a CVT so no shifting. I did ride one and it was a lot of fun, don't rule it out without trying it.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

IMG951658.jpgIMG951660.jpgIMG951659.jpg

What do you all think about the price point for this one?

Spyder Garage

Looks like it's right in the ballpark.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

We might go this week and take a look at that.

Spyder Garage

I agree with some of the others a F3 series (probably a F3 with a top case or F3T) may be the best fit for you both based on the style of riding, storage requirements, and price points.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Looks like it's right in the ballpark.

You said price is right in the ball park. Should we negotiate any on the price in your opinion? If something is a fair price we don't try to get the price down but if there is room for honest negotiating then we will.

Spyder Garage

There are now a LOT of choices for new buyers. The market has been a bit depressed...so that makes it a BUYERS market.

Two up riding...should make the RT a consideration. Two variants out there now. They came in two cylinders through 2013...then three cylinder 1330's. The F3's also have the 1330 engine.

Manual or Semi Auto? The SE costs about $1,500 more...but it will make the rig easier to sell at trade or sale time. Manuals do not sell as well. There are a lot out there...but they are fewer than the SE's. My first (2008) was a manual...it was fine. The next four were all semi auto's. I would not go back to manual on the Spyder. If I want to shift...I have the Vulcan 900.

The only year that had some red flags...was the 2013 RT. It had heat issues. It took BRP a couple years...but they added a heat remediation kit in 2015 or so. Those machines that got the free heat remediation were fine. If you buy a 2013 RT make sure you got the heat kit. It will have to extra air scoops in the area just below the windshield.

The two cylinders have been discontinued in favor of the 1330 three. Remaining two's can be had in the ball park you are looking for. I have one of each...and am just fine with either.

It remains to be seen how the market will go this year. My guess is depressed. The addition of the Ryker (sub $10K for new) is going to make the used Spyder market interesting. The Ryker is not recommended for two up or long touring. There are still people that say "humbug" to that. Time will tell if they are right or wrong.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    There are now a LOT of choices for new buyers. The market has been a bit depressed...so that makes it a BUYERS market.

Two up riding...should make the RT a consideration. Two variants out there now. They came in two cylinders through 2013...then three cylinder 1330's. The F3's also have the 1330 engine.

Manual or Semi Auto? The SE costs about $1,500 more...but it will make the rig easier to sell at trade or sale time. Manuals do not sell as well. There are a lot out there...but they are fewer than the SE's. My first (2008) was a manual...it was fine. The next four were all semi auto's. I would not go back to manual on the Spyder. If I want to shift...I have the Vulcan 900.

The only year that had some red flags...was the 2013 RT. It had heat issues. It took BRP a couple years...but they added a heat remediation kit in 2015 or so. Those machines that got the free heat remediation were fine. If you buy a 2013 RT make sure you got the heat kit. It will have to extra air scoops in the area just below the windshield.

The two cylinders have been discontinued in favor of the 1330 three. Remaining two's can be had in the ball park you are looking for. I have one of each...and am just fine with either.

It remains to be seen how the market will go this year. My guess is depressed. The addition of the Ryker (sub $10K for new) is going to make the used Spyder market interesting. The Ryker is not recommended for two up or long touring. There are still people that say "humbug" to that. Time will tell if they are right or wrong.

We are going this week to look at a 2015 F3 S6 Semi-auto for my wife with 12,375 miles. She doesn't have a permit yet but if it feels good to her sitting then I suppose I will be riding it home.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sbct View Post
    We are going this week to look at a 2015 F3 S6 Semi-auto for my wife with 12,375 miles. She doesn't have a permit yet but if it feels good to her sitting then I suppose I will be riding it home.
    Sounds like a good choice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If it's the first time you ride a Spyder be careful on the ride home, they can ride a little different. Empty parking lot for a few minutes would be good until you get the feel of it. Good Luck!
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    If it's the first time you ride a Spyder be careful on the ride home, they can ride a little different. Empty parking lot for a few minutes would be good until you get the feel of it. Good Luck!

Would you say they are similar to a 4wheeler? I obviously ride motorcycles but also 4wheelers and have ridden snow machines as well.

Spyder Garage

all are similar. Most grip too tight and try to over control the first time they get on one. relax go easy for a little bit, it will come to you quickly. May wiggle a little from over control when you first start.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

all are similar. Most grip too tight and try to over control the first time they get on one. relax go easy for a little bit, it will come to you quickly. May wiggle a little from over control when you first start.

I do appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Spyder Garage

PA offers free motorcycle license training classes for 3 wheel and 2 wheel bikes make sure the wife take advantage of that! Live to Ride, Ride to Live.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

PA offers free motorcycle license training classes for 3 wheel and 2 wheel bikes make sure the wife take advantage of that! Live to Ride, Ride to Live.

Yeah, the PMSP. I did it years ago and yeah, I told my wife that it is definitely a must and plus if you successfully complete the course she can get her 9 restriction for 3 wheels. I like it because it is a one stop shop.

Spyder Garage

And a good discount on your insurance! Good Luck Happy Spyder Hunting
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

And a good discount on your insurance! Good Luck Happy Spyder Hunting

Yes. I can't remember what the discount was but I do remember letting them know that I did complete the PMSP.