Spyder Garage

Question Seat removal........

Howdy Spider world
    Just removed and reinstalled the seat on my 18 RTL to install a drivers backrest. Was wondering if the Marquis de Saud was involved in designing how it attaches? Removing was a breeze, but reinstalling was frustrating to say the least. First of all the seat re-install was designed for people with tiny hands, secondly, the metal sleeves inside the 2 rear tabs of the seat want to slide out if not kept perfectly horizontal, not to mention trying to re-insert the 2 nuts into the plastic sleeves of the frame, hold them there and trying to align the bolt, metal sleeve, plastic holder and lock nut while holding the seat up (I finally used a short 2 x 4 for that) and squeezing the life out of my 2 hands in that cramped space. Careful now and hold on tight, cause if you drop one of those nuts, it finds it's way into the spider world deep in the depths of Gracie. Been working on vehicles of all types for the past 55 years and found this to be one of my fiercest battles. Looking to find any tips that those of you before me have used to overcome some, most, all of these challenges.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

LOL, I just installed LED's and that left fog lamp was fun, need less to say I donated blood. I'd change seats all day long vs the left fog light!!!

I too changed the seat out, But for a heated comfort from BRP, did drop a nut and had a magnet handy(got lucky)!

The way it is build is really better than my past 2006 honda gold wing, so many little plastic pins everywhere and so much more to remove vs the spyder - ever do a air filter change on a honda gold wing?
    *Its under the radio,cruise control module, ecu module oh there it is under the air box!

You sound like you have as much patience as I do
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Howdy Spider world
    Just removed and reinstalled the seat on my 18 RTL to install a drivers backrest. Was wondering if the Marquis de Saud was involved in designing how it attaches? Removing was a breeze, but reinstalling was frustrating to say the least. First of all the seat re-install was designed for people with tiny hands, secondly, the metal sleeves inside the 2 rear tabs of the seat want to slide out if not kept perfectly horizontal, not to mention trying to re-insert the 2 nuts into the plastic sleeves of the frame, hold them there and trying to align the bolt, metal sleeve, plastic holder and lock nut while holding the seat up (I finally used a short 2 x 4 for that) and squeezing the life out of my 2 hands in that cramped space. Careful now and hold on tight, cause if you drop one of those nuts, it finds it's way into the spider world deep in the depths of Gracie. Been working on vehicles of all types for the past 55 years and found this to be one of my fiercest battles. Looking to find any tips that those of you before me have used to overcome some, most, all of these challenges.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom.
    Then, there's that rear wheel air valve...

Spyder Garage

Ok, tricks on the seat:
    Use painters tape under the seat. Cover every nook and cranny that a nut or spacer can disappear into. Remove the gas strut
    Then lower the seat. Open trunk, remove backrest. Put painters tape on the captured nuts. From the top, remove the bolts that hold the seat on. Use a twist ratchet and it is very easy. Slide seat straight forward. Remove spacers. Do seat work (we just did seat heat on a bike 2 weeks ago). Slip spacers in, secure with painters tape. Slip seat into position, latching pin in place. Install bolts. Unlatch seat, install gas strut, remove painters tape. Close seat, reinstall backrest.
    Last edited by cptjam; 02-10-2019 at 11:05 AM.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

See Craftsman Mach series ratchets. Twisting the handle spins the socket. Perfect tool for this job!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I second pctjam.

I stuff a rag into the area between the rear bolts behind the seat, it's black hole for parts. The twist wrench is great. Take off the passenger pad for space to work. I put some grease on the tubes before inserting them in the seat to stop them from sliding out on install. Tape the nuts in place on each side BEFORE removing the bolts and reinsert them carefully.

Oh, and buy an extra bolt and nut kit just in case.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the new dimension known as Spyder Repair.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Happy to hear that you … DIY'd …. the job …..& congrats on accomplishing it, a word of advice - it is wise to ask here how things are done before attempting any task on the Spyders ………… there have been a few here who have asked " How is this tire " … AFTER they bought it ………. Mike

Spyder Garage

I have come to believe that the numerous contortionistic methods required for some of the most basic maintenance issues is a diabolical plan by BRP engineers to convince owners to PAY for all service at a dealer (where you only hope the mechanic you get this time is actually knowledgeable)

KUDOS to you for both attempting it, and successfully completing it. Hmmm, maybe we should have Spyder specific "Merit" badges for different self service successes? Reminds me, I gotta go find that thread by the guy in Hawaii that did a complete teardown and rebuild.... He get's all the badges.....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Grease on spacers to hold them in place, check. remove passenger backrest for more work space, double check. tape ends of sleeve so nuts don't fall out, triple check.
    Next time should be a piece of cake(removing tongue from cheek) I agree Dgoebel, they sure don't make what should be an easy job a herculean challenge. Can't wait to change my oil or adjust the belt. Haven't tried to check rear tire pressure yet. Should be a lot of fun eh Stillriding?
    Thank you to all for sharing your tips.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Oil change and tire pressure are easy ( magic mirrors do help) . Large socket and extended air chucks, torx drive sockets on a cordless driver make this a quicker and easier job.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    See Craftsman Mach series ratchets. Twisting the handle spins the socket. Perfect tool for this job!

Most definitely a handy tool for this job!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Grease on spacers to hold them in place, check. remove passenger backrest for more work space, double check. tape ends of sleeve so nuts don't fall out, triple check.
    Next time should be a piece of cake(removing tongue from cheek) I agree Dgoebel, they sure don't make what should be an easy job a herculean challenge. Can't wait to change my oil or adjust the belt. Haven't tried to check rear tire pressure yet. Should be a lot of fun eh Stillriding?
    Thank you to all for sharing your tips.
    grease works , but it is MESSY ………… after I removed mine the first time, I just taped over them and poked a small hole in the end ….they don't move and aren't messy …… just a thought ….. mike